Tomato curry recipe with step by step by photos. Sharing a typical restaurant style tomato curry recipe with south Indian coconut base.
This recipe of tomato curry is easy and especially comes handy when you have no veggies handy. With just a couple of tomatoes and spices we can make a great tasting curry that goes well with south Indian breakfast and also rice.
I often make this vegan tomato curry when I have no vegetables yet wanna make a good side dish. Also I serve this curry with rice and some chips for lunch. While there are many ways to make tomato curry this is my go to recipe for its ease and flavor.
Making tomato curry is easy and we just very few ingredients. You do not need even ginger garlic in this recipe. The flavor predominantly comes from cardamon, cumin and coconut paste. You can make this curry as thick or thin as you prefer.
The spices used in this tomato curry recipe are cloves, cinnamon, cardamom. You can even add a bay leaf, black cardamom and fennel seeds if you like.
To make tomato curry recipe all you need are very basic and pantry staple ingredients. The curry is thickened with roasted gram and coconut paste,so you can easily make this curry for a crowd. Select good quality desi tomatoes for a slight tangy taste to balance the spices. The recipe can be easily doubled or halved.
More curry recipes:
How to make tomato curry recipe
1. Grind grated coconut, roasted gram and green chillies to a smooth paste.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a kadai. Add cumin seeds and temper.
3. Next add cinnamon, green cardamom,cloves and saute well till they turn aromatic. After sauteing the spices add finely chopped onions and saute very well.
4. Now add finely chopped tomatoes and saute well. Season with salt and chili powder. Saute well till the tomatoes turn mushy.
5. Then add the ground paste and mix well.
6. Add 1.5 cups water and mix well. Simmer till the tomato curry thickens. Finally Add cilantro leaves and remove from flame.
7. Serve with dos or roti or idli.
Tomato curry recipe card below:
Tomato curry recipe | Tomato kurma recipe
- 3 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Grind to a smooth paste
- 3 tablespoons roasted gram dal
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2-3 green chillies
- Grind grated coconut,roasted gram and green chillies to a smooth paste.
- Heat a kadai with 2 teaspoons oil. temper with cumin seeds
- Add whole spices and saute well.
- Next add onions and saute well.
- Now add tomatoes and saute well.
- Season with salt and chili powder
- Cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add ground paste and mix well.
- Then add 1.5 cups water and let the tomato curry thicken
- Finally add cilantro leaves and serve hot.