If you love flavorful and tangy south Indian Tamarind gravies then this classic vendakkai puli kulambu recipe is for you! Tasty and flavorful with okra and shallots this is one of the best kuzhambu from Tamil recipes.
To make vendakkai puli kulambu, chopped okra is sauteed in sesame oil. It is then simmered in tangy tamarind gravy with Indian spices and tempering. The finished puli kulambu is thick, flavorful, tangy and tastey. This vendakkai puli kulambu keeps well for 2-3 days.
There are many ways to make vendakkai puli kulambu. The one I am sharing here is easy no grind vendakkai puli kuzhambu without coconut. Below I have mentioned how to make this recipe with coconut
Vendakkai puli kulambu with coconut
Roast cumin seeds, garlic, curry leaves and red chilies well in 2 teaspoons soil. Add grated coconut towards the end and roast well. Grind to a smooth paste and add to the simmering curry. Bring to a boil.
Making vendakkai puli kuzhambu is easy and can be made in 2o minutes. This kuzhambu is best served for lunch piping hot. Use good quality sesame oil to make vendakkai puli kuzhambu. Sesame oil adds nice flavor to the kuzhambu and it is healthy too.
Kuzhambu is always served as first course with rice in Tamil Nadu. These tangy thick gravies are suitable for travel as they keep well for 2-3 days.
More kuzhambu recipes:
You can serve this vendakkai puli kulambu with hot steamed rice. This also goes well with idli.
If you’ve tried this vendakkai puli kulambu recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and recipes.
Vendakkai puli kulambu recipe
Vendakkai Puli Kulambu Recipe
- 20 okra OR ladies finger OR vendakka fresh and tender
- 10 pearl onion OR shallots
- 1/4 cup thick tamarind extract From bg lemon sized tamarind ball
- 1 tablespoon sambar powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon jaggery
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- Salt to taste
To temper vendakkai puli kulambu
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon methi seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 dried chilies
- Wash the okra and pat dry.Cut into 1″ pieces.Peel the onions.Soak the tamarind in hot water for 30 minutes and extract thick pulp.
- Add 2 teaspoons sesame oil to a kadai and heat it. Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds,once they crackle,add methi seeds,curry leaves and red chillies.
- After tempering,add the onions and saute well. Add the cut okra and saute for 2 minutes. Next add sambar powder,turmeric powder and saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the tamarind pulp and bring to a full boil. Also add 2 cups water,salt and boil for 10-12 minutes
- Once the stew has thickened to half way,add jaggery and boil for 10 more minutes till the stew is thick enough.
- Finally add 1 teaspoon sesame oil and remove from flame.Serve hot with rice.
3.Do not avoid jaggery or do not replace it with sugar.