Last updated on June 9th, 2019
Zucchini chutney recipe for rice with urad dal and toor dal. A delicious, healthy and flavorful south Indian style thogayal or chutney with zucchini and some day to day ingredients. You can make this zucchini thogayal or chutney in a whim and serve with hot rice. Here is easy step by step zucchini chutney recipe in 10 minutes.
I made this zucchini chutney for rice with one organic zucchini I purchased last week. Usually I add zucchini in pasta, pizza as topping or occasionally to make these brownies. But I always wanted to try some Indian zucchini recipes so made this delicious chutney with zucchini and it turned out pretty good.
Zucchini yields itself very well into Indian recipes. There are many Indian zucchini recipes like zucchini stir fry, besan zucchini, zucchini masala that I want try and I think this chutney is a good starting place.
How To Make zucchini Chutney For Rice?
To make zucchini chutney begin with roasting or frying dals.
You can either fry all the ingredients in sesame oil, cool and grind OR Dry roast all the ingredients, saute zucchini in some oil. grind and then saute the chutney very well in oil.
I always prefer to fry the ingredients and then grind.
Fry urad dal, chana dal, dried chillies in sesame oil until golden.
Add asafoetida, tamarind and saute
Add chopped zucchini and cook for 5-7 minutes. Cool, add salt and grind to a semi coarse paste.
Delicious, flavorful and easy zucchini chutney is ready to be served.
You can store this chutney for 2-3 days. Goes best with hot rice and vadam.
Now this is one way of making this chutney. I am sharing a quick method for one more version that you can serve with idli and dosa.
Zucchini Chutney For Idli, dosa.
Peel and chop zucchini first.
heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pan and fry 2 slit green chilies, 2 teaspoons channa dal, 1.4 teaspoon asafoetida till golden.
Add the chopped zucchini and saute well for 4-6 minutes. You can add a small piece of tamarind now. Cool and grind to a smooth paste.
In the same leftover oil make a tempering with mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. Add to the chutney, mix well and serve.
Do try out this simple and easy zucchini chutney and enjoy!
More Chutney Recipes
How To Make Zucchini Chutney Recipe Step by Step:
1. Peel and chop the zucchini into roundels and cubes.
2. Heat 2 tablespoon sesame oil in a a pan.
3. Add 2 tablespoons urad dal and 2 tablespoons channa dal. Saute till golden.
4. Add dried red chilies, tamarind and saute for 2-3 minutes.
5. Now add the chopped zucchini and saute for 6-7 minutes in medium flame.
7. Let cool for few minutes. Transfer to a blender or mixer jar and grind with required salt. Grind to a semi coarse paste with some water if needed. Serve as required.
Zucchini Chutney Recipe:
Zucchini Chutney Recipe For Rice
- 1 zucchini medium, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons urad dal (Husked and split black gram) (Ulutham paruppu)
- 3 tablespoons chana dal (husked and split bengal gram) (kadalai paruppu)
- 3 dried red chilies (Milagai vathal)
- Tamarind, a small piece (puli)
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing) (perungayam)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil preferably
- water only if needed
- Peel and chop the zucchini into roundels and cubes.
- Heat 2 tablespoon sesame oil in a a pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons urad dal and 2 tablespoons channa dal. Saute till golden.
- Add dried red chilies, tamarind and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the chopped zucchini and saute for 6-7 minutes in medium flame.
- Let cool for few minutes. Transfer to a blender or mixer jar and grind with required salt. Grind to a semi coarse paste with some water if needed. Serve as required.