This aval upma recipe is the perfect breakfast with in 15 minutes. Tasty, healthy and filling this poha upma has everything that a good breakfast recipe should have!
Aval upma recipe or poha upma recipe with step by step photos. Aval upma is a south Indian breakfast recipe that is easy and healthy. This poha upma is a also a tasty low calorie snack with tea.
I prefer poha recipe like kanda batata poha, lemon aval, poha cutlet for breakfast as they are very simple and quick. Aval upma for quick lunch or dinner is also a great option. I make this often for my daughter for quick snack too.
Aval upma recipe is similar to batata poha but only in the way it is prepared.The ingredients used are quite different Add Newand so is the taste. It is a great breakfast recipe for weight watchers. The addition of veggies makes this aval upma very colorful apart from making the dish very healthy. This is the way I make aval upma always.
To make aval upma recipe thick poha should be used. This kind of poha does not turn soggy or mushy after rinsing or soaking in water. Thick poha is konwn as getti aval in Tamil. I have used vegetables like carrot, capsicum in this poha upma recipe. You can add any vegetables that are handy.
Serve aval upma with tomato thokku, peanut podi, raita or topped with some sev. Poha upma is best served with masala chai.
How to make aval upma or poha upma in 15 minutes.
1.Measure out the aval and clean it removing any grit and dirt.
2.Pour 1/4 cup water over the val and mix well.Let it sit for 2-3 minutes,squeeze the water out and spread it on a plate.Let it rest for 5 minutes.In the mean time chop the veggies.
3.Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a kadai and temper with mustard,cumin.channad dal,curry leaves and green chillies.Add crushed ginger and saute for 1 minute.
4.Add the sliced onions and saute till translucent.
5.Add the chopped veggies,sugar,salt,turmeric powder and mix well.Saute in high flame for 2-3 minutes,so that veggies are cooked yet crunchy.
6.Add the aval (beaten rice ) and mix well.Remove from flame,add lemon juice and mix well.Serve aval upma piping hot.
Aval upma recipe card below
Aval upma recipe | How to make aval upma | poha upma
- 1 1/2 cups aval/ poha medium thick
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped fine
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped fine
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 green chillies
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon channa dal
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 " crushed ginger
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Pick and clean poha/aval thoroughly.
- Pour 1/4 cup water over the aval and mix well.Let it sit for 2-3 minutes,squeeze the water out and spread it on a plate.Let it rest for 5 minutes. In the mean time chop the veggies.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a kadai and temper with mustard,cumin.channad dal,curry leaves and green chillies.Add crushed ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the sliced onions and saute till translucent.
- Add the chopped veggies,sugar,salt,turmeric powder and mix well.Saute in high flame for 2-3 minutes,so that veggies are cooked yet crunchy.
- Add the aval (beaten rice ) and mix well. Remove from flame. Add lemon juice and mix well. Serve aval upma hot.
2.Do not use very thin aval/paper aval for this recipe
3.Adding sugar enhances the taste but it is optional
4.You can veggies like peas,corn etc too.