Bread upma recipe is a quick and tasty variaition of south Indian upma. Got few stale bread slices? upma with veggies is your best bet. All it takes are few pantry staple ingredients and 15 minutes to make best bread upma. Here is an easy recipe!
What Is Bread Upma?
Cubed bread slices are sauteed with veggies in a typical south Indian mustard curry leaves tempering in this recipe While veggies are optional I always recommend you add them.
I make bread upma very often and over the years I has become our favorites. I have been making this upma wit bread for many years and often play with the spices and ingredients.
Sometimes I make lemon flavored upma, this masala bread or even use pav for making upma.
Bread upma is best for breakfast while served hot. You can also serve this spicy bread snack hot with tea in the evening.
Although south Indian, this bread upma is popular and favorite across the country. You will find this quick bread snack in almost all office and college canteens.
How To Make Bread Upma?
To make bread upma at home you can use any kind of bread though white bread tastes best in upma. Use stale bread or 2 days old bread if you prefer your upma non mushy.
To begin with, heat oil in a pan and temper with mustard seeds, cumin, minced ginger and green chilies. Saute chopped onions, followed by veggies. Saute till veggies turn soft. Season with salt, turmeric powder and chili powder.
Add the cubed bread slices and saute for 6-8 minutes. Finish with chopped coriander leaves and fresh lemon juice. Mix well and serve 🙂
Along with veggies I have added few paneer cubes as I do in masala pasta. Instead of paneer you can add boiled egg, mushrooms, tofu also.
I have chopped off the edges of the bread to make it less chewy. If you want crispy bread slices you can keep the edges. You can also use pav, baguette, garlic loaf in this recipe.
Apart from served as breakfast, you can pack this bread upma in toddlers and kids snack box also.
More bread recipes you might like
step by step bread upma recipe:
1. Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a kadai. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Net add crushed ginger and green chillies. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add finely chopped onions and saute till the color changes slightly.
3. Add the chopped veggies and saute for 3-4 minutes. Saute well for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add turmeric powder,salt and mi well. Add 1/8 cup water and cook the veggies for 5 minutes. (do not add more water else the veggies will turn soggy).
5. Add the torn bread pieces and mix well. toss and cook in low flame for 4-5 minutes. Do not add water.
6. Once the bread pieces are cooked, remove from flame and add freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix well and serve bread upma hot.
Bread upma recipe details below:
- 6-7 bread slices torn into bite size pieces
- 1 small carrot peeled and chopped fine
- 2-3 baby corns finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 2 green chillies slit
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons oil
- Tear the bread into bite size pieces.
- Chop the vegetables and onion
- Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a kadai and add cumin seeds,let it crackle.
- Add the crushed ginger and slit green chillies.Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till it turns translucent.
- Add the chopped veggies and saute well.
- Add salt,turmeric powder and mix well.Add 1/8 cup water and cook the veggies.
- Add the bread pieces and toss well
- Remove from flame,add lemon juice and serve bread upma hot.
1. You can add spice powders like garam masala,pav bhaji masala etc in this bread upma recipe.
2. Do not add more water for cooing veggies.
3. Do not add water after adding the bread.
4. You can add 1/2 teaspoon sugar along with salt.