Last updated on March 3rd, 2019
Beetroot poori recipe with step by step photos. Sharing a crispy puffy poori with whole wheat flour and beetroot puree. This beetroot poori is a very good one among toddlers and kid breakfast recipes.
We all know that toddlers and kids love poori, crispy, all puffed and tasty, no wonder everyone loves poori. Here I have added the goodness of beetroot to the all time favorite poori to make beetroot poori 🙂 We grew up eating such tasty and healthy breakfast recipes like potato poori, methi poori, carrot idli and many more. Such toddlers and kids breakfast recipes are more healthy, fun and attractive, colorful and you can also sneak in the goodness and nutrients of vegetables in them.
To make beetroot poori, I have used organic whole wheat flour and nice fresh beets. Along with whole wheat flour I have used rava to make crispy poori, you can actually see that in the dough picture below. I have added ajwain/omam to the dough just for some flavor, also ajwain helps in digestion.
I served beetroot poori with a quick baby corn curry, it was such a hit combination. The pooris turned out so well, each and every poori puffed up like a ball and was so tasty. Here in this recipe I have used the beetroot juice for kneading the dough, in few recipes beet puree is used but I always use juice.
Do try this easy breakfast recipe,beetroot poori and let me know how it turned out for you 🙂
Beetroot poori recipe with step by step photos.
1. Pressure cook one medium beet, peel and chop coarsely. Extract juice and set aside. You will need a little more than 3/4 cup f beetroot juice for 1/2 cup wheat flour
2. Take 1/2 cup wheat flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons rava and 1/4 teaspoon ajwain/omam in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
3. Add 1 teaspoon oil and salt. Mix well.
4. Add the beetroot juice and knead well. The dough should little tight than chapathi dough.
5. Divide the dough into 6 equal sized balls.
6. Roll each ball into 4″ disc, it should be a little thick than chapathi.
7. Heat oil for deep frying. Drop a very tiny portion of dough in the oil, if it raises immediately then the oil is ready for frying.
8. Slide the rolled poori gently into the hot oil.
9. Wait until it puffs up and cooked from both sides. Remove from oil.
10. Repeat the same with remaining dough. Serve beetroot poori hot.
Beetroot poori recipe card below:
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rava
- 1 medium beet root boiled,peeled and juiced OR 3/4 cup + 2 teaspoons beetroot juice from boiled beetroot.
- 1/4 teaspoon ajwain seeds
- Oil for deep frying+ 2 teaspoons for dough
- Boil, peel and extract juice from beetroot
- Take wheat flour, rava in a mixing bowl.
- Add ajwain,salt and 2 teaspoons oil. Mix well.
- Add beet juice and knead to a dough.
- Divide the dough int 6 equal sized balls.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Roll each ball into 4" disc.
- Slide each disc in the hot oil and deep fry from both sides until cooked.
- Serve beetroot poori hot.
1. Do not add more rava than mentioned, pooris will turn hard
2. the oil temperature is very important for puffy pooris.