Last updated on September 20th, 2019
Bombay veg sandwich recipe in easy steps. Tasty veg sandwich recipe from the streets of Mumbai. A quick vegetable sandwich recipe for a filling and wholesome breakfast.
This Bombay grilled sandwich recipe is one among popular Indian street food recipes. This is a perfect filling breakfast that I love. I used to have this sandwich regularly for breakfast while I was working.
We like our Bombay veg sandwich grilled. There used to many variations of Bombay sandwich at the office canteen. Plain veg sandwich, cheese veg sandwich, grilled cheese sandwich etc. I especially preferred grilled veg Bombay sandwich without cheese.
This veg sandwich from Bombay is something we love at home also. I make these often with my homemade white bread or multi grain bread. I also make a variation of this recipe- Bombay toast masala sandwich which is equally delicious. Few other tasty sandwich recipes we like:
You can serve this veg sandwich hot with green chutney or even plain with tea.
What Is Bombay Veg Sandwich?
Bombay sandwich recipe is a famous Mumbai street food. This simple and tasty veg sandwich is a favorite among most Indians. I prefer to have these sandwiches from small sandwich stalls rather than posh restaurants.
This veg sandwich from Mumbai is also equally popular across India. Even in Chennai we get to see small sandwich makeshift shops before every supermarket and some shopping malls.
Spicy and flavorful vegetables sandwiched between buttered white bread tastes absolutely delicious, plain or grilled or toasted- all are equally delicious 🙂
Street style Bombay veg sandwich is made with white bread always. You can very well use wheat bread, brown bread slices too but authentic veg sandwich from Bombay is made just with white bread.
Green chutney is smeared on buttered bread slices first. Sliced vegetables are arranged and further topped with a buttered bread slice. Traditional veg sandwich is served plain.
Ingredients For Making Bombay Veg Sandwich
Use best quality fresh bread for making Bombay veg sandwich. Always sandwich made with white bread tastes best. As I make this sandwich very often I prefer to use homemade wheat or multi grain bread. Occasionally we do idulge in white bread sandwich. You can also use the special triangle bread for sandwich if available.
I would say the taste of veg sandwich totally depends on butter 🙂 It is always salted yellow butter for this sandwich. If you are vegan use can vegan butter also.
Which Vegetables Are Suitable For Bombay Sandwich?
Usually potatoes, cucumbers, onion and beets are used in this sandwich. Few people do not prefer beetroot in their sandwich and I am one of them. I have instead used green peppers as I like them in sandwiches. So if you are looking to recreate authentic Bombay veg sandwich, do include beets and use white bread 🙂
Bombay Sandwich Masala Powder
This is one secret ingredient all the street food vendors use in their sandwiches. It is a dry powder made of various spices that enhances the taste and flavor of the sandwich.
You can make a quick sandwich masala powder by dry roasting and making a fine powder of the following spices.
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1.5 teaspoons black peppercorn
- 1/4 inch cinnamon
- A pinch amchur
- A pinch chaat masala powder
- Pinch of salt
Green Chutney– Green chutney or sandwich chutney is used as spread here.
How To Make Bombay Veg Sandwich Step by Step
Prepare green chutney as mentioned here.
Prepping The Veggies For Sandwich
Rinse and peel the potatoes and slice them thinly. Par boil the potatoes in salted water for 5-6 minutes. If you are using beets you may have to pressure cook for boil it for 10 minutes too.
Slice the other veggies like capsicum, cucumber into thin slices too.
Making Veg Sandwich.
Take a bread slice and spread softened butter over it. Now add 1-2 teaspoons green chutney and spread.
Arrange the sliced potatoes,cucumber,onion and capsicum. Sprinkle little chaat masala powder,pepper powder.
Take another bread slice and sandwich the veggies. Gently spread some butter over it. Repeat the same with all the bread slices to get 6 sandwich.
Toast the sandwich in a electric grill/stove top grill or grill plate in a sandwich maker till the bread becomes slightly golden brown. Serve bombay grilled sandwich hot with mint chutney/sauce immediately.
Can We Add Cheese In Bombay Sandwich?
Yes after adding the vegetables you can place a cheese slice and cover with another bread slice. if you are going to grill or toast the sandwich, then you can also add grated cheese and grill or toast till the cheese melts.
Can You Do The Prep Work For This Sandwich In Advance?
Yes, this is a very good make ahead recipe. You can
- Prepare the veg chutney days ahead and store in aritight containers for 10 days in refrigerarot.
- Prep the veggies and store in airtight containers for 2-3 days
At the time of serving you can assemble the sandwich. Once assembled serve immediately.
What Goes Well With Bombay Sandwich?
You can serve this veg sandwich with green chutney or tomato ketchup. You can also serve this with a soup for a complete meal. For toddlers and kids you can pair this with a milkshake.
Top Tips To Remember
- If you want to serve this sandwich plain make sure to use freshest bread slices that are very soft.
- If your bread slices are a bit dry it is better to toast them for proper digestion. While making for toddlers and kids it is advisable to slightly toast or grill the bread.
- Vegans can use vegan butter instead of dairy butter
- This sandwich tastes best when served immediately after assembled.
More Mumbai street food recipes:
Bombay Veg Sandwich Recipe
Bombay veg sandwich recipe | How to make bombay sandwich recipe
For Veg Sandwich
- 12 white bread slices
- 1 large potato boiled,peeled and sliced thin
- 2 to matoes sliced into thin rounds
- 1 medium onions sliced into round
- 1/2 capsicum sliced into rounds optional
- chaat masala powder
- pepper powder
- Salted butter
For Green Chutney
- 1 cup tightly packed coriander leaves washed,and roughly chopped
- 1 cup tightly packed mint leaves washed and roughly chopped
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Green Chutney Recipe
- Grind all the ingredients expect lemon juice into a thick paste with very less water. just add 1-2 tablespoon water as you grind to ease the grinding,the chutney should be easily spreadable and not runny. finally add the lemon juice and mix well. Set aside or store refrigerated.
Making Veg Sandwich
- Take a bread slice and spread softened butter over it. Now add 1-2 teaspoons green chutney and spread.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes,cucumber,onion and capsicum. Sprinkle little chaat masala powder,pepper powder.
- Take another bread slice and sandwich the veggies. Gently spread some butter over it. Repeat the same with all the bread slices to get 6 sandwich.
- Toast the sandwich in a electric grill/stove top grill or grill plate in a sandwich maker till the bread becomes slightly golden brown. Serve bombay grilled sandwich hot with mint chutney/sauce immediately.
2.you can ad thinly sliced beets along with other veggies.
3. Here I have grilled the sandwich for a short time. If you want your sandwich crispy you can grill till they become golden brown.
4. Do not miss to sprinkle chaat powder and pepper powder over the veggies as they really add a zing