Last updated on May 10th, 2019
Instant ragi dosa recipe with sprouted ragi flour. Ragi is the Indian name for finger millet. It is one of the Indian super foods and widely used in Indian recipes.
Ragi or finger millet is a power house of nutrition and it is rich mainly in calcium. Ragi can be a wonderful source of calcium for vegans and vegetarians. 100 grams of ragi contains 350 mg of calcium, 3.9 mg of iron, 0.19 mg riboflavin. Ragi is also an excellent source of amino acids. Ragi is a vegan gluten free source of protein. Ragi also promotes natural weight loss.
Ragi is a very good weaning food. We often use the sprouted ragi flour to make porridge for infants above 6 months as weaning food. For toddlers and kids that east solid food this instant ragi dosa is a wonderful breakfast or snack. You can make this ragi dosa crispy just like rava dosa and kids will love it.
I use ragi flour regularly in cooking. I make ragi malt, ragi idli, ragi porridge, instant ragi dosa, ragi paniyaram. Ragi flour can also be used to make snacks like murukku or in bread , muffins too.
Making ragi dosa is easy and quick. This is an instant no grind ragi dosa. You can make the batter and make dosa immediately. This instant ragi dosa turns out very crispy and delicious. You can make it as crispy as you want. You can also make soft dosa with this batter. I have also few more variations for making this dosa. please check below.
Variations and tips for making ragi dosa:
- Butter milk is added to provide slight sour taste as we are not fermenting the batter. To make this ragi dosa vegan you can leave out butter milk and use water instead. Just keep the batter for 20-30 minutes before making dosa.
- You can add crushed cumin-peppercorns and add it to the batter.
- You can also add grated carrots,cabbage or chopped capsicum to ragi dosa batter.
If you’ve tried this ragi dosa recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and recipes.
Ragi dosa recipe card below:
Ragi Dosa Recipe | Instant No Grind Ragi Dosa
- 1 cup sprouted ragi flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup buttermilk OR water
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Mix all the ingredients and make a lump less relatively thin batter.The batter should be of rava dosa batter consistency. I find 1 cup buttermilk sufficient,if you find the batter very thin you may a fistful of either flour.Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat a tava and pour a ladle full of batter and swirl the tava slightly.Do not tryto spread like regular dosa.Add little oil to the sides.
- Cook on medium flame till the edges turn crispy.You can make them very crispy by cooking for more time or make soft dosas too.Serve hot.
2.Use water instead of butter milk for vegan version and use rice flour instead of wheat for gluten free version.