Last updated on June 22nd, 2019
Make this delicious, crispy and healthy oats dosa for breakfast with this easy recipe. This dosa with oats is easy to make and tastes delicious with chutney or sambar. Here is how to make oats dosa with handy tips and variations.
Here is a quick and easy to make delicious dosa recipe with an interesting ingredient-oats. Oats is a popular and favorite ingredient among weight watchers. If you are looking to use oats in recipes beyond porridge you can try making pongal, khichdi, idli or this oats dosa.
I have oats handy to thicken soups and smoothies but I also make these delicious Indian oats recipes sometimes. This is one delicious breakfast that we love and you will too.
This dosa turns out very crispy, flavorful and lacy just like rava dosa or wheat dosa but with fewer calories. The best part is this dosa gets ready in no time as it a no soak, grind or fermentation recipe.
Sometimes I add finely chopped carrots, bell peppers along with onions. You can also add grated cabbage, corn kernels in the batter.
This Oats Dosa Recipe
Is vegan, gluten free and clean
Healthy and filling breakfast
Easy to make recipe in 30 minutes
Delicious, crispy and flavorful
There are two ways to make oats dosa.
- Instant one as shared here
- ground and fermented batter
To make instant oats dosa you can use quick cooking or rolled oats. While you can add quick cooking oats directly to the batter, rolled oats should be powdered and used.
The other ingredients you need for this recipe are a bit of rice flour, some rava and seasonings as you prefer. Here I have used equal measures of rice flour and oats. Adding rice flour and oats makes the dosa very crispy and lacy.
Just like rava dosa you can season this too in so many ways. Sometimes I add crushed pepper cumin seeds otherwise finely chopped green chilies, ginger and curry leaves.
How To Make Oats Dosa
1. Measure and dry roast the oats until nice aroma wafts out.
2. Take the roasted oats in a mixing bowl and add rice flour,wheat flour to it. Mix well.
3. Add salt,finely chopped chilies,curry leaves and crushed ginger. Add 4 1/4 -4 1/2 cups water and mix well without any lumps. The batter should be of thick buttermilk consistency.
4. Add finely chopped onions and mix well.
5. Heat a dosa tava and while it is very hot, keep the flame in medium and pour a ladle full of batter from outside to inside as shown. Drizzle some oil all around.
6. Cook in medium flame for 3-4 minutes till the edges turn golden brown. Flip gently and remove to a plate.
7. Serve immediately with side dish of your choice.
Tips For Crispy Oats Dosa
- first and foremost tip here is to get the consistency of your dosa batter correct. If the batter is too thick dosas will turn out thick and chewy. On the other hand if it thin it will stick to the tava and collapse.
- So after trying out first dosa adjust batter consistency. If your dosa is thick, add 1/2 cup water to the batter and mix well. If you the batter to be very diluted add 2 tablespoons oats or rice flour. Mix well.
- While pouring the batter, pour it from a height as you do for rava dosa. This batter should not be poured like regular dosa.
- If using a cast iron tava, grease it very well. Always make the first dosa a bit thick.
Instant Oats Dosa Recipe
Instant oats dosa recipe | Quick no grind oats dosa recipe |Indian oats recipes
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat flour/maida
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 2-3 green chillies finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon very finely chopped ginger
- 10-12 curry leaves torn
- 4 1/2 cups water
- Measure and dry roast the oats until nice aroma wafts out.
- Take the roasted oats in a mixing bowl and add rice flour,wheat flour to it. Mix well.
- Add salt,finely chopped chillies,curry leaves and crushed ginger. Add 4 1/4 -4 1/2 cups water and mix well without any lumps. The batter should be of thick buttermilk consistency.
- Add finely chopped onions and mix well.
- Heat a dosa tava and while it is very hot,keep the flame in medium and pour a laddle full of batter from outside to inside as shown. Drizzle some oil all around.
- Cook in medium flame for 3-4 minutes till the edges turn golden brown. Flip gently and remove to a plate.
- Serve immediately with side dish of your choice.
2. You can add crushed pepper-cumin to the batter too.
3. Make sure the batter has no lumps.
4. Keep adjusting the flame for each dosa,while pouring the batter keep the flame in medium,while cooking keep it high.