Last updated on May 26th, 2019
Rava dosa recipe with video– Rava dosa is a popular south Indian dosa variety. You can make this lacy, crispy and delicious sooji dosa in flat 30 minutes. No need to soak, grind or ferment the batter for this tasty dosa. Here is how to make best rava dosa with video and process photos.
What is Rava Dosa?
Rava means semolina in India. It is also known as sooji. Hence rava dosa means dosa made with rava. It is a one of the instant dosa recipes that you can make quickly for breakfast or dinner.
There are many ways to make rava dosa. The method I am sharing here does not require soaking. You can vary the proportions of ingredients as per taste.
How To Make Rava Dosa?
To make rava dosa at home first we prepare the batter. Mix rava, wheat flour and rice flour with required salt and water into a lump free batter. The batter consistency should thin . Other optional ingredients you can add in the batter are onions, green chilies and curry leaves.
In south Indian restaurants there are many variations with this dosa. You can easily make them at home with simple ingredients.
Butter Rava Dosa Recipe
In this recipe butter is used instead of oil for making dosa. Other than that the recipe remains the same. Also you can serve the dosa with a dollop of white butter.
Rava Masala Dosa
This is one more popular dosa in Restaurants in south India. Prepare potato masala as mentioned in masala dosa recipe and stuff inside the rava dosa.
Pour a ladle full of rava dosa batter on hot tava. Let cook for 30-45 seconds. Place some potato masala and spread gently. Cover the other half and cook till the dosa crispy and golden.
Dry Fruits Rava Dosa
Chop 10 cashews, 10 almonds and 15 pistachios finely. You can also use 2 tablespoons raisins and tutti frutti. Prepare rava dosa batter as mentioned in the recipe. Add dry fruits mixture, finely chopped green chili and mix well. Make thin and crispy dosa. Do not add onion, pepper or cumin in this recipe.
Making rava dosa is easy but may be a bit tricky for beginners. The key is to maintain the perfect batter consistency. Here are few tips and tricks for getting it right every time.
Tips for perfect rava dosa:
- The proportion of flours used is very important to make good dosa. The recipe I have given here yields lacy and crispy rava dosa. If you want a bit soft dosa then reduce the amount of rice flour by 2 tablespoons and add wheat flour instead.
- The consistency of the batter is the key here. The batter should be thin and you should be able to pour it from a height. the quantity of water depends on the quality of the flours used. Please refer video for consistency of batter.
- To make lacy and crispy rava dosa the batter should be poured on hot tava from a height. Only when you pour the batter from a height the dosa will be lacy and thin. The thinner the batter crisper the dosa.
- Make sure to mix the batter thoroughly often while making dosa as the flours tend to settle at the bottom of the vessel.
- There are two ways you can add onions in this dosa. You can either mix them in the batter (video) or sprinkle onions on hot tava and pour batter over it. Choose whichever is convenient for you.
- Finally the temperature should be adjusted frequently to get perfect dosa. Increase the temperature while you pour the batter and simmer while the dosa is cooking.Cook in low-medium flame for crispy golden dosas.
More Dosa Recipes:
Also check how to make basic dosa batter in mixer grinder.
You might also like our chutney recipes collection.
Rava Dosa recipe Video:
How To Make Rava Dosa Step By Step
1.Take rava, wheat flour, rice flour, wheat flour or maida, crushed pepper cumin seeds, chopped green chilies in a mixing bowl. Add required salt and mix well. Next add water or buttermilk and make a lump free mixture. Now add water slowly and make a thin batter.
2. Heat a tava and once it i s hot, maintain medium flame. Spread some oil all over the tava and sprinkle some finely chopped onions all over.
3. Now take the prepared batter in a cup ad pour from little height into circle. Do not bother about the shape. drizzle some oil over the edges of rava dosa.
4. Cook in medium flame until the edges crisp up and turn golden.You may flip and cook if you wish.
3. Serve rava dosa hot with chutney and sambar.
Rava Dosa Recipe Card:
Onion rava dosa recipe | hotel style onion rava roast recipe
- 1 1/2 cups rava/sooji
- 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup rice flour
- 2-3 tablespoons wheat flour or maida
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed pepper corns
- 1 teaspoon crushed cumin seeds
- 2-3 green chilies
- 2 big onions finely chopped
- Water or butter milk as needed
- Take rava, wheat flour, rice flour, wheat flour or maida, crushed pepper cumin seeds, chopped green chilies in a mixing bowl. Add required salt and mix well. Add water or buttermilk and make a lump free mixture. let this sit for 10-15 minutes. Now add water slowly and make a thin batter.
- Heat a tava and once it i s hot, maintain medium flame. Spread some oil all over the tava and sprinkle some finely chopped onions all over. Now take the prepared batter in a cup ad pour from little height into circle. Do not bother about the shape. drizzle some oil over the edges of rava dosa. Cook in medium flame until the edges crisp up and turn golden.You may flip and cook if you wish.
- Serve rava dosa hot with chutney and sambar.
2. Curry leaves can be added to the batter.