Paneer ghee roast recipe with step by step photos. Simple and easy recipe to make Mangalore fame paneer ghee roast. Paneer ghee roast is the vegetarian alternate for popular chicken ghee roast. This paneer ghee roast is a simply superb recipe which mimics the flavor of chicken ghee roast recipe.
The popular mangalorean chicken ghee roast is from Kundapur region, Mangalore. It is basically a fiery hot tangy starter with ghee and spices. Chicken ghee roast with neer dosa is a popular combo too.
Here in our vegetarian version we are using paneer in place of chicken and hence the name paneer ghee roast. Paneer is an excellent replacement for chicken in many Indian curries . We have paneer butter masala instead of butter chicken, paneer tikka instead of chicken tikka and many more.
This paneer ghee roast recipe is really good to serve as starter or side dish. Here I have made it a bit dry. You can easily make this as paneer ghee roast gravy too. Same way if you want to make dry paneer ghee roast you can do that too. Just fry the paneer in low flame without adding water.
Traditional paneer ghee roast recipe is fiery hot. It is made with really potent dried red chilies. However to cut the spice level you can use kashmiri dried red chilies. As the name suggests the flavor for this paneer ghee roast comes from ghee. I suggest you use fresh homemade desi ghee for this recipe. Be generous with ghee and enjoy this yummy paneer ghee roast once in a while :).
To make paneer ghee roast recipe I have used homemade paneer. I feel homemade paneer is best for marination recipes. The other spices used are typical south Indian spices. To make the process easy you can marinade the paneer cubes before night and make paneer ghee roast next day. The paneer in marination will stay good for a day or two in refrigerator.
How to make paneer ghee roast recipe with step by step photos.
To make masala and marination:
heat 2 teaspoons oil or ghee in a pan.
Dry roast the mentioned spices and grind to a smooth paste with some water.
Take the masala in a bowl. To that add whisked curd, lemon juice and turmeric powder.
Add the paneer cubes and mix well.
Refrigerate for 30-40 minutes.
To make paneer ghee roast:
Heat ghee in a pan.
Add curry leaves and saute.
Add onions and saute well.
Add the marinated paneer cubes along with masala.
Saute in medium flame for 5-7 minutes.
Add tamarind juice, jaggery and mix well.
Simmer for 5 minutes. remove from flame. Serve paneer ghee roast with rice or dosa.
Paneer ghee roast recipe card below:
Paneer ghee roast recipe| How to make Mangalore style paneer ghee roast
1 CUP = 250 ml
- For paneer marination masala
- 200 grams cubed paneer
- 3 tablespoons fresh curd
- 1/4 treaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- To roast and grind: For masala
- 7-8 kashmiri red chilies
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 12 black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon methi seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled
- 2 teaspoons ghee or oil
- Other ingredients for paneer ghee roast
- 4 tablespoon ghee
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon jaggery
- 2 teaspoons tamarind extract
- 6-7 curry leaves
- To make masala and marination:
- heat 2 teaspoons oil or ghee in a pan.
- Dry roast the mentioned spices and grind to a smooth paste with some water.
- Take the masala in a bowl. To that add whisked curd, lemon juice and turmeric powder.
- Add the paneer cubes and mix well.
- Refrigerate for 30-40 minutes.
- To make paneer ghee roast:
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add curry leaves and saute.
- Add onions and saute well
- Add the marinated paneer cubes along with masala.
- Saute in medium flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Add tamarind juice, jaggery and mix well.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. remove from flame. Serve paneer ghee roast with rice or dosa.
Serve with more lemon wedges