Palak paneer recipe with step by step photos. Tasty palak paneer recipe that is tried and tested and truly delicious! This north Indian cottage cheese in spinach gravy is a family favorite.
Palak paneer is a delicious dish of paneer cubes cooked in mildly spiced spinach curry. This paneer spinach curry is best served with soft Indian flat breads like naan, kulcha etc.
Punjabi palak paneer is the most popular paneer recipe along with paneer butter masala, paneer korma, paneer jalfrezi recipes. Making restaurant style palak paneer recipe at home is very simple. you can achieve the restaurant taste and flavor in palak paneer by adding cream, blanching the spinach before blending.
Palak paneer recipe can be made in many ways. This delicious palak paneer recipe is something I make for quite sometime. This is a mix of two recipes. Sanjeev kapoor’s palak paneer recipe and an old recipe from my collection.
To make palak paneer with smoky flavor just like restaurants I use dhungar method sometimes. You can make use of dhungar method in restaurant style curries to get that characteristic smoky flavor. Dhungar method is infusing the flavor of hot charcoal into the prepared dish.
In this palak paneer recipe I have used blanched spinach. Blanching the spinach gives the curry a vibrant color. It also removes any possible bitterness from matured spianch leaves. Here I have blanched the palak leaves very briefly so there is no nutrient loss too. You can also make few other healthy recipes with greens and paneer combo like palak pulao, palak paneer kabab, methi paneer, hara bhara kabab recipes.
Few tips to make delicious palak paneer:
- The amount of spinach used should not be more or less.
- To keep the color of the curry vibrant blanch the spinach leaves with some sugar
- do not keep the pureed palak for long time
- Try to use fresh and tender spinach leaves as they cook fast.
To make palak paneer recipe at home you need very less and simple ingredients. All you need are jeera, bay leaf and garam masala. It is best to use butter for sauteing as it greatly increases the flavor of the finished dish. Try to use homemade paneer for palak paneer recipe. Sometimes store bought paneer will turn hard and rubbery once added to the gravy. To avoid that keep the cubed paneer in hot water until use.
how to make palak paneer recipe step by step photos.
To make blanched spinach puree:
1. Separate the palak leaves from the bunch and wash thoroughly to get rid of any dirt or mud. Chop onion and tomatoes finely. Peel and crush the garlic cloves.
2. Bring plenty of water to rolling boil in big vessel. Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar and mix well. Add the washed pinach leaves and blanch them for 2-3 minutes.
3. Once blanched wash the spinach leaves in cold running water. Allow to cool for few minutes.
4. Grind the blanched leaves to a smooth puree along with green chilies and ginger.
making the palak paneer curry:
5. Heat oil or butter in a thick bottomed pan. Add bay leaf and saute for 2 minutes. Add crushed garlic and chopped onions. Saute till the onion changes color slightly.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute well till the tomatoes turn mushy. Add chilli powder,mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add the spinach puree and mix well. Add 1/4 cup water. Add salt and sugar. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
8. Add garam masala and mix well.
9. Add the paneer cubes and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
10.Add fresh lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot with rice or roti.
Vegans can make palak paneer by using tofu in place of paneer.
Palak paneer recipe card below:
- 250 grams fresh tender spinach leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 green chilies
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled
- 1 medium onion finely chopped OR 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped OR 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 200 grams paneer cut into bite size cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 200 grams paneer cubed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kasuri methi
- 2 tablespoons oil or butter
Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly.
Blanch the spinach leaves in boiling water along with sugar for 3-4 minutes.
Wash the blanched leaves in cold running water. Puree the spinach along with ginger and green chilli
Heat oil or butter in a thick bottomed pan. Add bay leaf and saute well.
Add crushed garlic,chopped onions and saute for 3-4 minutes.
Add chopped tomatoes and mix well. Saute till the tomatoes turn mushy.
Add chili powder and saute well.
Add the spinach puree and mix well. Add sugar,salt and garam masala. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add the chopped paneer cubes and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
Add lemon juice,mix well and serve palak paneer hot.
1. Washing the spinach leaves in cold running water is important to stop the blanching process and retain the color.
2. Adding sugar while blanching retains color and increases taste.