Last updated on January 19th, 2018
Shrikhand recipe with step by step photos. Shrikhand means sweetened curd with flavoring. It is a very popular sweet recipe from Maharashtra.
Shrikhand is served as dessert or as a side dish with puri. Shrikhand recipe is a very popular offering for Lord Krishna on shri Krishna janmashtami. Krishna janmashtami 2016 falls on August 25th and I have been getting requests for easy Krishna janmashtami recipes to offer to Lord Krishna. I have also been getting requests to share the way to celebrate Krishna janmashtami. I got this request last year itself but I was a bit hesitant as the way of celebrating any festival varies from home to home. Since I have got many requests this year, I will soon share the way to celebrate Krishna Janmashtami in my next post. For now it is shrikhand recipe.
There seems to be many variations in shrikhand recipe. Aamrakhan or mango shrikhand, strawberry shrikhand etc. What I am sharing today is classic and original kesar shrikhand recipe. Shrikhand recipe is an absolutely delicious, quick and it is a no cook recipe. All you need is to make sure you have fresh good set hung curd. I am not sure if hung curd is available in stores readily, but it is very very easy to make hung curd for shrikhand at home. Just take a wide vessel and a fitting sieve. I sue a big conical soup strainer for making hung curds. Place a thin cloth over the sieve and pour the thick fresh curd. the big vessel is to collect the excess water. Bring the edges of the cloth together and tie a knot. I generally place the whole setup in fridge and leave it for about hours. You can even leave it overnight. You can place a heavy object on the cloth but I generally do not do that. After six hours, when you open the knot you will find beautifully set fresh hung curd without any whey. You use this hung curd for making shrikhand, paneer tikka etc.
To make shrikhand recipe we need very few ingredients apart form hung curd. Few pistachios blanched and chopped, few drops of rose essence, saffron strands, cardamom powder and powdered sugar. Adding rose essence is optional but I highly recommend you add it. It lends such a beautiful flavor to shrikhand. Once shrikhand is made keep it fridge until serving.
Serve shrikhand thoroughly chilled as dessert.
here is how to make shrikhand recipe with step by step photos.
Step by step shrikhand recipe
1.Take the hung curd in a mixing bowl.
2. Add powdered sugar to it and mix wel. beatwell until creamy and light. You can use a hand blender or manual whisk. You have to whip well, the curd mixture will become very light and fluffy.
3. Now add your flavorings. I added few crushed saffron strands, 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder, few drops of rose essence. Mix well.
4. Divide the shrikhand in serving bowls. Top with pistachios and saffron strands. Serve shrikhand cold.
Shirkhand recipe card below:
- Hung curd made form 4 cups milk
- 6-7 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron strands crushed
- 1/4 teaspoons cardamom powder
- few drops of rose essence
- chopped pistachios
- Take the hung curd in a mixing bowl.
- Add powdered sugar to it and mix wel. beatwell until creamy and light. You can use a hand blender or manual whisk. You have to whip well, the curd mixture will become very light and fluffy.
- Now add your flavorings. I added few crushed saffron strands, 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder, few drops of rose essence. Mix well.
- Divide the shrikhand in serving bowls. Top with pistachios and saffron strands. Serve shrikhand cold.