Last updated on February 22nd, 2019
Tomato ginger chutney recipe- delicious, robust with flavor burst, this chutney with tomato and ginger is perfect with idli, dosa, upma or even toast!
Tomato ginger chutney is easy to make quick side dish for idli, dosa or pongal. The flavor of ginger in this chutney is so good and compliments the taste of tomatoes very well. You can use as much or less amount if ginger you prefer.
In this tomato ginger chutney I like to add a good amount of ginger. If you can tolerate the heat from ginger I recommend using the amount suggested in the recipe. This chutney also goes very well adai or pesarattu or mixed dal dosa.
This is a no onion garlic chutney recipe. As we are adding ginger, asafoetida is also not added. So this is a very simple chutney with clean flavors. You can add some roasted gram dal while grinding to reduce the heat. Use sesame oil in this chutney for nice flavor. Sesame oil also helps in reducing the heat.
Tips and variations for making tomato ginger chutney
- You can add 1 tablespoon grated coconut or roasted gram dal to reduce the spice level.
- You can add 2 cloves garlic along with ginger
- Instead of green chilies you can use dried red chilies
Tomato ginger chutney video:
How to make tomato ginger chutney recipe.
1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pan. Add chopped ginger, green chili and saute well.
2. Add chana dal and saute till golden.
3. Add cubed tomatoes and saute well for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
4. let cool. Blend to a smooth paste. Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Serve tomato ginger chutney with idli, dosa.
If you’ve tried this tomato ginger chutney or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and recipes.
Tomato ginger chutney recipe card:
Tomato ginger chutney recipe is a tasty chutney with fresh tomatoes and ginger. A chutney that is robust, flavorful and delicious with idli, dosa.
- 3 ripe tomatoes cubed
- 3 inch ginger peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons chana dal
- 2 green chilies
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 curry leaves
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pan. Add chopped ginger, green chili and saute well.
- Add chana dal and saute till golden.
- Add cubed tomatoes and saute well for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- let cool. Blend to a smooth paste. Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Serve tomato ginger chutney with idli, dosa.