Last updated on August 16th, 2018
Aloo dum biryani recipe with step by step photos. Today I am sharing a very tasty, flavorful and really good potato biryani recipe with you all. I tasted this flavorful aloo dum biryani in my friend’s place few months and I have been making this since then.
This aloo dum biryani recipe is from my friend’s cookery class notes. Though there are quite a few steps in this recipe and it takes time, it is absolutely worth the effort. I liked this potato biryani even better than hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani.
To make aloo dum biryani you can use tiny potatoes or large potatoes, I have used cubed large potatoes here. If using large potatoes make sure you cube them bigger than you would for potato fry. As in any biryani recipe, make sure to use good quality aged basmati rice and soak it in plenty of water for at least 20 minutes.
Addition of onion mint paste brightens this potato biryani recipe and also lends a good color along with tomatoes. Some curd is also added in this aloo dum biryani, but that is optional. Vegans can easily leave out curd or use coconut milk in place of curd.
There is some frying involved in this dum biryani recipe. You need to fry the par boiled potato cubes and thinly sliced onions for topping the biryani. I just love the fried onions and I always add more than what the recipe calls for 🙂
You can serve aloo dum biryani just with some raita or curd or even some chips.
Here is how to make aloo dum biryani recipe or potato biryani recipe, do try out!
Aloo dum biryani recipe or potato biryani recipe with step by step photos.
1. Wash, rinse and soak basmati rice in plenty of water for 20 minutes. While the rice is soaking par boil, peel and cube the potatoes. Slice the onions, clean the mint and cilantro leaves etc. Drain the soaked rice and spread on a plate.
2. Grind 1 roughly chopped onions, 1/2 cup tightly packed mint leaves,2 green chillies to a fine paste.
3. Heat oil for deep or shallow frying in a pan. Fry the par boiled potatoes until slight golden brown from all sides. Remove to a plate.
4. In the same oil fry 3/4 cup of thinly sliced onions until they change color and slightly caramelized. This will take time, be sure to do in medium flame. Remove to a plate.
5. Heat a thick bottomed large pot or pressure cooker with 3 tablespoons oil. Add cloves, black cardamom, cinnamon and green cardamoms. Saute well till they turn aromatic.
6. Add cumin seeds and saute well.
7. Add ginger garlic and saute till the raw flavor goes off. Add 1/2 cup of thinly sliced onions and saute till the color changes.
8. Add chopped tomatoes and saute well.
9. Add the ground mint paste, mix well and saute till the raw flavor goes off. Add curd and mix well in low flame. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add fried potatoes and mix gently.
10. Add the drained rice and mix well. Add 2.5 cups water. Add salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes (do not close the pot)
11. Once the water starts to bubble, close the cooker or pot with a flat lid and place a heavy object like mortar and pestle on it. Cook in lowest flame for 20 minutes.
12. Once done, open the pot, mix gently, add fried onions and chopped cilantro leaves. Mix well and serve dum aloo biryani hot with raita.
potato biryani recipe or aloo dum biryani recipe card below:
- 1.5 cups basmati rice
- 3 large potatoes par boiled and cubed
- 1 1/4 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 1/4 cup thick curd
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger-garlic
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Grind to a smooth paste
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup tightly packed mint leaves
- 2-3 green chillies
- Whole spices:
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2-3 cloves'1 black cardamom
- 2-3 green cardamoms
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- Wash and saok the rice for 20 minutes. Drain and spread on a plate.Grind the ingredients mentioned under "to grind" to a smooth paste.
- Par boil,peel and cube the potatoes. Deep or shallow fry until slight golden. Set aside.
- In the same oil fry 3/4 cup thinly sliced onions until color changes. Set aside,
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a pot or cooker. Saute the whole spices until aromatic
- Add ginger garlic and fry well.
- Add chopped onions and saute till color changes. Add tomatoes and saute well.
- Add ground paste and mix well. Saute till the raw flavor leaves. Add curd and mix well.
- Add the fried potatoes and mix gently.
- Add the drained rice and mix well.
- Add 2.5 cups water,salt and cook for 5 minutes till the ater starts to bubble.
- Close the pot with a flat lid and place a heavy object like mortar and pestle. Cook in lowest flame for 20 minutes
- Ope the pot, add chopped cilantro leaves, fried onions and mix well. Serve potato biryani hot.
1. be sure to use a real thick bottomed pot else the rice will get burnt.
2.If our pot is not heavy enough, heat a cast iron tava and place the pot on it while dum cooking.
3.Adjust the quantity of water according to the quality of the rice used.