Masala rice recipe with left over rice. A very quick and delicious one pot masala rice where you can put left over rice to best use. Fragrant, tasty and also very handy lunch box recipe that every one especially kids will love.
Left over rice is a common scene in south India and there are so many ways you can use it up efficiently. I have shared 10 simple left over rice recipes some time back. This easy masala rice recipe is also one of the good ways to use up left over rice. This rice also tastes very good when made from scratch using freshly steamed rice. Just make sure the rice is thoroughly cooled and grains separate while adding to veg masala.
To make masala rice recipe I use regular raw rice. You can use basmati rice or any long grain rice especially when making for guests. This is my mom’s recipe for veg masala rice that we used to take in lunch box at least once in a week. Her recipe is very simple though with just turmeric powder and chili powder. In addition to that I add roasted cumin powder, garam masala powder for extra flavor.
Variations With Masala Rice Recipe.
You can add basmati or any long grain rice
You can garnish the rice with shredded coconut.
For more flavor you can ginger garlic paste or whole spices also.
The same recipe can be made with quinoa or any millet instead of rice.
This masala rice recipe is easy and quick especially during busy morning hours. You can chop the vegetables beforehand and just cook rice in the morning. Let the rice cool for 15 minutes while you are preparing the masala. Easy and tasty lunch box dish will be ready in 20 minutes. You can pack this for kids with some salad or fryums.
More rice recipes you might like:
How to make masala rice recipe (step by step)
1. First of all heat oil in a thick pan. Temper with cumin seeds.
2. Next add chopped onions and saute till they turn a bit soft.
3. Add chopped vegetables and saute for 2 minutes. Add salt, chili powder, garam masala powder and cumin powder. Mix well and saute. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes.
4. Finally add the cooked and cooled rice to the prepared veg masala. Mix gently. Serve with raita.
Masala rice recipe card:
Masala Rice Recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 2 cups rice cooked and cooled
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes peeled and chopped
- 10 beans chopped
- 1/3 cup green peas
- 6 baby corns peeled and chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- First of all heat oil in a thick pan. Temper with cumin seeds.
- Next add chopped onions and saute till they turn a bit soft.
- Add chopped vegetables and saute for 2 minutes. Add salt, chili powder, garam masala powder and cumin powder. Mix well and saute. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Finally add the cooked and cooled rice to the prepared veg masala. Mix gently. Serve with raita.
Are you making this recipe? Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou.