Last updated on June 19th, 2020
Peas pulao recipe or matar pulao is a quick and easy one pot pulao with fresh seasonal peas. This is one of those recipes that turns out too good for the minimal effort. You should totally try this best matar pulao when matar or fresh green peas is in season. Here is how to make easy peas pulao at home with step by step photos.
Pulao or pilaf is a delicious spiced rice made with meat or veggies in India and other Asian countries. There are many types of pulao like this best veg pulao, easy pressure cooker pulao, corn pulao, palak pulao and this peas pulao is one among that.
If you are looking for easy yet nourishing and tasty dis on weekdays, this matar pulao is your best bet. This recipe involves no chopping except onions, provided you have shelled peas handy. Also you need basic Indian spices to make this pulao.
You just need a pressure cooker or a pot with lid or electric cooker to make peas pulao. If you want to make this rice even quicker you can use micro wave too. I have included quick instructions for all the methods below. Here I have made matar pulao in pressure cooker.
This recipe is simple but it stands tall in fragrance, taste and texture that you can serve peas pulao in parties and celebrations as main course. Just pair it with a spicy curry like mix veg curry or any paneer curry like palak paneer, paneer butter masala for a satiating meal.
You can also serve matar pulao with raita or plain curd for toddlers and kids. It is a mildly spiced pulao with delicate flavors that you can safely make for toddlers and kids
How To Make Peas Pulao In a Pot?
To make peas pulao in a pot the recipe basically remains the same. Instead of pressure cooker use a sturdy pot or you can also use a pan with lid.
Heat oil or ghee in the pan and saute the spices. Fry the onions, mint leaves as mentioned in the recipe followed by shelled green peas. Add the rinsed rice andwater. Season with salt and close the lid. Cook in low flame for 25-30 minutes or until the rice is done. Gently fluff up the rice and serve.
How To Make Matar Pulao in Electric Rice Cooker?
To make matar pulao in electric cooker use the vessel that comes with electric cooker and make the recipe. Just follow the steps as mentioned in the recipe until adding step 10. After adding water, close the lid and cook as per manufactures instruction.
How To Make Matar Pulao in Microwave?
To make matar pulao in microwave use a deep microwave safe bowl. Heat ghee for a minute and add the spices and microwave for 30 seconds. Next add the onions, mint leaves and peas. Microwave for a minute. Add the rice, water and salt. Mix well and microwave for 10-12 minutes. Serve hot.
What Can We Serve With Matar Pulao?
Tips For Making Best Matar Pulao?
select good quality basmati rice and make sure you soak it for at least 30 minutes. Then drain the rice well and spread on a plate to dry.
You can add few drops of oil to make the rice non sticky. Also add few drops of lemon juice to make the rice whiter.
Adjust the quantity of water according to the quality of rice. Use more water for aged rice. Usually aged rice is well suited for pulao.
To make this pulao more flavorful you can add fried onions as garnish.
More green peas recipes you might like
How To Make Peas Pulao Recipe Step by Step Photos
1. Wash, rinse and soak basmati rice for 30 minutes. Drain and spread it on a plate until using.
2. Heat a pressure cooker or heavy bottomed pot and add 4 teaspoons oil to it.
3. Add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add crushed ginger and saute well.
4. Next add bay leaf, cardamom pods, cloves,cinnamon and saute well.
5. Add thinly sliced onions and saute well till the color changes.
6. Add fresh mint leaves and saute well till it wilts.
7. Now add shelled green peas and mix well.
8.Add drained rice and mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
9. Add 2.5 cups water, salt and close the pressure cooker. Pressure cook up to 3 whistles.
10. Once the pressure is released, open the cooker, fluff the rice and serve peas pulao with side dish of your choice.
Matar Pulao Recipe
Peas pulao recipe | matar pulao recipe
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 3/4 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup tightly packed mint leaves, washed(no need to chop)
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2.5 cups water adjust
- 1 inch ginger peeled and crushed
- 4 teaspoons oil
- Whole spices
- 3 cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 " inch cinnamon
- wash and soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add oil to it.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle
- Add crushed ginger and saute well.
- Next add the whole spices and saute well for few minutes.
- Add sliced onions and saute till the color changes
- Add mint leaves and saute till the leaves wilt.
- Now add green peas and saute well
- Add rice, mix well and saute
- Add water,salt and pressure cook for up to 3 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released, fluff the rice and serve peas pulao.
2. You can add 2 tablespoons methi leaves along with mint leaves.
3, If you wish to add vegetables like potatoes,carrots, add along with peas and adjust water.