Last updated on November 7th, 2018
peas pulao recipe or matar pulao recipe with step by step photos. Quick, easy to make basic pulav recipe with fresh green peas. Peas pulao is made with basmati rice and very few spices. It is a mild Indian pilaf that goes very well rich and spicy curries.
peas pulao recipe or matar pulao recipe is one of the quick pulao recipe that you can make in 15 minutes. peas pulao involves no chopping except onions. So you can easily make this on a busy day. Peas pulao in pressure cooker can be made in 15 minutes flat. Use premium quality rice like aged basmati rice for making best peas pulao.
Usually matar pulao is a part of buffet menu in wedding receptions. It is served along with roti , poori. This is a mild pulao and it can be served with spicy curry like kadai paneer, paneer butter masala, veg korma, veg kolhapuri , dhaba dal etc. You can aslo serve matar pulao with chicken gravy.
To make peas pulao, select good quality basmati rice and make sure you soak it for at least 30 minutes. This is very important because we are making matar pulao in pressure cooker. So we need to ensure the basmati rice is not broken or over cooked. You can make this recipe in electric rice cooker or regular cooking pot too.
Peas pulao is a very mildly spiced pulao with sweetness from green peas. So this will be a nice dish to pack in toddlers and kids lunch. You can also serve matar pulao with any raita, salad for toddlers and kids.
Peas pulao recipe or matar pulao recipe with step by step photos:
1. Wash, rinse and soak basmati rice for 30 minutes. Drain and spread it on a plate until using.
2. Heat a pressure cooker or heavy bottomed pot and add 4 teaspoons oil to it.
3. Add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add crushed ginger and saute well.
4. Add bay leaf, cardamom pods, cloves,cinnamon and saute well.
5. Add thinly sliced onions and saute well till the color changes.
6. Add fresh mint leaves and saute well till it wilts.
7. Add shelled green peas and mix well.
8.Add drained rice and mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
9. Add 2.5 cups water, salt and close the pressure cooker. Pressure cook up to 3 whistles.
10. Once the pressure is released, open the cooker, fluff the rice and serve peas pulao with side dish of your choice.
peas pulao recipe or matar pulao recipe card below:
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 3/4 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup tightly packed mint leaves, washed(no need to chop)
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2.5 cups water adjust
- 1 " ginger peeled and crushed
- 4 teaspoons oil
- Whole spices
- 3 cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 " inch cinnamon
- wash and soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add oil to it.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle
- Add crushed ginger and saute well.
- Add the whole spices and saute well for few minutes.
- Add sliced onions and saute till the color changes
- Add mint leaves and saute till the leaves wilt.
- Add green peas and saute well
- Add rice, mix well and saute
- Add water,salt and pressure cook for up to 3 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released, fluff the rice and serve peas pulao.
1. Do not miss the mint leaves in this recipe.
2. You can add 2 tablespoons methi leaves along with mint leaves.
3, If you wish to add vegetables like potatoes,carrots, add along with peas and adjust water.