Last updated on July 6th, 2018
Aloo raita recipe – A light and refreshing summer salad with fresh yogurt and boiled potatoes. This aloo raita is just perfect for hot and humid days when spending time in the kitchen is the last thing you want to do!
Aloo raita or potato raita is one of our favorite raita recipes that I often make especially during summer. Though we consume curd every single day, during summer I make sure there is a raita in our meal everyday. Raita recipes are especially best bet for kids that do not eat curd otherwise. Furthermore you can also sneak in most of the vegetables in raita recipes.
Raita is a Indian salad with yogurt dressing. Most of all the Indian raita recipes are no cook. In south India there is another variation of raita known as thayir pachadi. Few tasty Indian raita recipes added in the blog are beetroot raita, tomato raita, bhindi raita recipes. Today I am adding this tasty potato raita recipe.
Making aloo raita is easy and very quick too. You can easily pressure cook the potatoes while cooking rice or dal. By the time potatoes are cooked you can make the spiced yogurt mixture ready. Finally just before serving just mix the potatoes with yogurt and serve. Below I am sharing another variation of this raita to serve with south Indian sambar rice.
How To Make Aloo Raita South Indian Style:
- Boil, peel and crumble the potatoes.
- Add salt to the curd and whisk it well.
- In a small pan heat 2 teaspoons oil. Temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and finely chopped green chilies.
- Add the tempering to the curd and mix well. Add crumbled potatoes and mix well. Serve this south Indian potato salad with sambar rice.
Aloo raita goes well with most of the Indian main dishes. You can serve this raita with pulao, biryani, paratha and roti. This raita especially tastes very good with palak paratha, methi paratha, tawa pulao recipes whereas the salad made in south Indian style goes well with sambar rice.
Aloo Raita Recipe Video:
How To Make Aloo Raita Recipe (step by step photos)
1. Boil, peel and slightly crumble the potatoes.
2. Take fresh curd or yogurt in a mixing bowl. Whisk it until smooth.
3. Add roasted cumin powder, red chili powder, amchur powder, coriander powder and salt to the whisked curd. Mix well.
4. Add cooked potatoes and mix well. Add crushed mint leaves and mix. Serve aloo raita immediately.
1. Serve raita as soon as you make it. The yogurt may turn sour if kept for long time especially during summer.
2. After boiling, just crumble the potatoes slightly. Do not mash it.
3. You can coriander leaves instead of mint leaves.
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and recipes.
Aloo raita recipe card:
Aloo raita recipe- easy to make refreshing and delicious summer salad made with boiled potatoes and fresh yogurt.
- 1 big potato boiled, peeled and crumbled
- 1.5 cups yogurt plain
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mango powder
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 3/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- mint leaves
- Boil, peel and slightly crumble the potatoes.
- Take fresh curd or yogurt in a mixing bowl. Whisk it until smooth.
Add roasted cumin powder, red chili powder, amchur powder, coriander powder and salt to the whisked curd. Mix well.
- Add cooked potatoes and mix well. Add crushed mint leaves and mix. Serve aloo raita immediately.