Last updated on April 29th, 2020
A simple and easy recipe for homemade potato chips that is crispy, light and delicious. You can make perfectly crispy potato chips easily at home and season as you wish. Do yourself a favor, leave those packs of preservative laden chips in the store shelf an make a big batch at home! So easy, clean and crispy!
Potato chips is the most favorite and popular snack across the globe. No wonder there are so many flavors available in this snack. I like Indian style potato chips seasoned with red chili powder the most. The other two popular variations are pepper flavored potato chips and plain salted potato chips.
As you know most of the store bought potato chips are preservative laden and ridiculously expensive. But the good news is you can make perfect crispy potato chips at home in no time. It is so easy, economic and hygienic.
There are many ways to make potato chips recipe at home. Depending upon the time and the quality of potatoes used you can choose the method.
- Slicing the scrubbed potatoes directly into hot oil (second picture)
- Soaking and rinsing the sliced potatoes and then frying (First and third picture)
Usually the second method yields whiter chips but you can absolutely follow the first method too.
If you are beginner I suggest you scale down the recipe and make half a batch first. once you get the knack you can easily make these chips at home whenever you want. We like homemade chips and I often prepare chips with raw banana, tapioca, sweet potatoes, beetroot etc. These homemade snacks are hygienic and can be customized as you like.
I have seen my mom making a batch of potato chips often at home that too effortlessly. We loved the flavor and taste of homemade chips and we never purchased from shops. This is our tried and tested family recipe that is so easy with simple steps.
This Homemade Potato Chips Recipe
Hygienic, clean and economical
Crispy light and delicious
Vegan and gluten free
makes for perfect snack to munch
To make perfectly crispy potato chips at home you need to get the right kind of potatoes and a proper gadget to slice them. Once those are taken care of, the recipe is fairly simple. It is actually all about perfect preparation.
Select fresh new potatoes with smooth skin and free of bruises. Basically the ones with less starch should be used. Russet or King Edward varieties are best for chips.
Next a hand held mandoline is best for slicing the potatoes. You can also use a very sharp knife. The idea is to get slices as thin as possible.
How To Make Potato Chips
Select big potatoes of uniform size. Wash and scrub thoroughly to remove all the dirt and mud. Peel the skin and soak in water until use.
Using a good quality slicer slice the potatoes thinly. Soak in salted water as you slice.
Drain excess water.
Spread the slices on a clean towel and dry for 10 minutes.
Heat oil for deep frying and slide the dried slices into the oil. Do not over crowd the pan,fry the slices in batches.
Once you add the potato slices,let it fry till the sizzling noise ceases and bubbling of oil settles down. Keep turning once in a while. Once done,wait for 2-3 seconds and remove to a kitchen towel.
In a small bowl mix required amount of salt and chili powder and keep aside.
Once you have finished frying all the slices,toss the salt and chili powder to the chips and mix well. Let it cool thoroughly.
Store the potato chips in airtight box and serve as needed.
- salt and pepper powder
- sea salt
- salt and chili powder
- a pinch of masala powder, salt
- salt onion and garlic powder
Can We Bake Potato Chips?
Instead of frying the chips you can even bake these in oven. Wash and scrub the potatoes very well. Slice and soak in salted water as you slice all the potatoes. Drain very well and dry on a kitchen towel for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven at 220 C. Arrange the slices on a greased baking tray in single layer. Give a quick spray of oil if needed. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Once done season as required
Some Tips For Making Best Potato Chips Recipe
- Use a very sharp good quality slicer for getting uniform thin slices
- Soak the slices in salted water to avoid the browning of potato chips
- Adjust seasoning as per taste
- Make sure to wipe the sliced potatoes in kitchen towel or dry them for few minutes before frying
- Make sure the oil is hot so that potato slices do not soak up oil
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Potato Chips Recipe
Homemade Potato Chips Recipe
- 4 large potatoes
- chilli powder
- Oil for deep frying
- Select big potatoes of uniform size. Wash and scrub thoroughly to remove all the dirt and mud. No need to peel the skin. Dry them on a kitchen towel.
- Using a good quality slicer slice the potatoes thinly. Soak in salted water as you slice. Drain and dry for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil for deep frying and slide the dried slices into the oil. Do not over crowd the pan,fry the slices in batches.
- Do not over crowd the pan,fry the slices in batches.
- Once you add the potato slices,let it fry till the sizzling noise ceases and bubbling of oil settles down. Keep turning once in a while. Once done,wait for 2-3 seconds and remove the chips to a kitchen towel.
- In a small bowl mix required amount of salt and chilli powder and keep aside.
- Once you have finished frying all the slices,toss the salt and chilli powder to the chips and mix well. Let it cool thoroughly.
- Store the potato chips in airtight box and serve as needed.
2. I have used refined oil here,you ca use sunflower oil or even coconut oil.