Crispy and flavorful bread sticks to dunk in creamy soups. Don’t we love those long and twisted bread sticks served with soup in restaurants? You can easily make these soup sticks at home, even more flavorful, crispy and tasty. Here is my keeper recipe!
I just love those thick and crusty twisted bread sticks served with soups in restaurants. It tastes delicious on it its own as well as dunked in creamy soups like tomato soup, cream of corn soup, carrot, mixed veg soups.
Whenever I taste these soup sticks in restaurants I will be inspired to try but somehow it will slip from my mind eventually. Though I had a brief idea of the ingredients and method, somehow I missed to make it.
The other day myself and my kid felt like having a soup and bread dinner. We often have this soup and bread dinner as they both are our absolute favorite. So while we zeroed on sweet corn cream soup, we also decided to make some bread sticks to go with it. Yeah, I actually baked these soup sticks with my kid. It is a fun and easy snack you can do with kids. They will love the twisting and shaping part, of course eating it too 🙂
I started with a rough idea but the bread sticks turned out really yummy and flavorful with soup and sour cram dip. I used whole wheat flour so this is a very good nibble for toddlers and kids apart from serving with soups. Also I have flavored the bread sticks with dried herbs, used olive oil in the dough instead of butter so they are healthier too.
We thoroughly enjoyed baking and eating these. They were also very good in my kid’s snack box.
Homemade Bread Sticks Recipe
Easy, quick and simple
Made with whole wheat flour
Crispy and delicious
Best snack or finger food for toddlers and kids
In this recipe I have used 100% whole wheat flour. However it is a personal choice. For lighter soup sticks you can use plain flour or even a mix of both.
You can season these bread sticks as per your taste. Instead of dried herbs you can also use cumin and pepper powder. I just threw in some sesame seeds and nigella seeds for crunch.
How To Make Bread Sticks Step by Step
1. Add 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1.5 teaspoons instant dry yeast, 2 teaspoons sugar, salt , 2 tablespoons olive oil to a mixing bowl .Mix well and add water gradually. Knead well and make a soft dough. Rest the dough for 1.5 hours.
3. Once the dough is doubled in volume, punch it back and knead again slightly. Divide the dough into 2 parts.
4. Roll one part into a circle of 1/4′ thickness.
5. Spread nigella seeds and sesame seeds on the rolled circle. Press slightly.
6. Make slits over the rolled circle as seen in the picture. Take each stick and make some irregular shapes.
7. Carefully arrange the shaped sticks in a baking sheet.
8. Cover with a cloth and rest for 30 minutes.
9. Preheat oven at 200 C or 400 F. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Serve bread sticks with soup or as snack wit tea. Store the remaining in airtight container.
More Tasty Bakes!
I hope you will try this easy bread sticks recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Bread Sticks Recipe
bread sticks recipe | soup sticks recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1.5 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried italian herbs
- 3/4 cup luke warm water add ore if needed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sesame seeds
- Nigella seeds
- Take 1 cup luke warm water in a mixing bowl. Add sugar and yeast to it. Let the yeast proof and bubble.
- Add 2 cups whole wheat flour, salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil to the yeast slurry. Mix well. Knead well and make a soft dough. rest the dough for 1.5 hours.
- Once the dough is doubled in volume, punch it back and knead again slightly. Divide the dough into 2 parts.
- Roll one part into a circle of 1/4' thickness.
- Spread nigella seeds and sesame seeds on the rolled circle. Press slightly.
- Make slits over the rolled circle as seen in the picture. Take each stick and make some irregular shapes.
- Carefully arrange the shaped sticks in a baking sheet.
- Cover with a cloth and rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 220C. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Serve bread sticks with soup or as snack wit tea. Store the remaining in airtight container.
2. You can use dried herbs for flavoring too.