This homemade tomato soup is super easy to make, ready in 30 minutes, absolutely delicious and comforting. Made with simple pantry staples ingredients you will love this soup piping hot on nippy evening. Here is how to make it.
For more soup recipes please check vegan pumpkin soup, manchow soup, beetroot soup, sweet corn clear soup recipes.
Is it soup weather yet? It surely feels so for me. Nothing is more comforting than a bowl of soup on cold evenings right? Throw in some croutons or just pair with a cheese toast and there you have, the most comforting winter meal 🙂
I do not make soup often at home but when I make it has to be the best, am I right? This homemade tomato soup recipe of mine is real keeps.
Most of the restaurant tomato soups are watery, overly tangy with no flavor. But a well made creamy tomato soup is a real treat to the palate. Go ahead and try this once, I am sure you will be making it over and over 🙂
Only very few restaurants prepare best tomato soup from scratch. Many of them use cheap packets and add water to it. That is the reason why tomato soup from few restaurants is brilliant while from few is meh 🙂
About This Recipe
For starters, this tomato soup is so much better than the restaurant soups. This recipe has the perfect balance of flavors, color and texture.
This one is hearty, creamy yet very light on tummy. Yes, I have not added any cream in this soup and trust me you will not miss it.
The ingredients you need for this soup are simple and clean ones. This recipe does not call for corn starch, a common soup thickener used in restaurants which makes the soup pasty.
In this soup we are using potatoes as thickening agent. Potatoes make the soup amazingly creamy yet very light.
Next we are not using any artificial colorant or taste enhancer in my recipe. Trust me you do not need any of those for a a good soup. A good soup is all about using real ingredients, hearty herbs and perfect seasonings. This soup has got it all.
Next it is a super simple recipe to make at home. All you got to do it cook the vegetables, blend them and finally season it.
The best part about this recipe is, it freezes really well. Make a big batch and enjoy whenever you feel like. Honestly I could have a bowl everyday, it is that good.
Along with the recipe I have shared step by step photos and instructions, tips, tricks and recipe variations. This soup is
easy to make
quick and simple
Creamy yet super light, no cream needed
delicious and flavorful
vegan and gluten free
what Do you Need To Make Tomato Soup?
To make this soup you need very few easily available ingredients apart from the vegetables.
Tomatoes– I have used fresh home grown tomatoes for this recipe. If fresh tomatoes are not avai;lable, it is better to use canned tomatoes for soup. Make sure to use really ripe and plump tomatoes for best flavor and color.
Unripe sour tomatoes will totally change the flavor and taste of the soup.
If you are using canned tomatoes, try to use the whole ones rather than crushed tomatoes. They are more fresh and of better quality.
Beetroot– Notice that super vibrant color in this soup? Thanks to that small piece of beetroot used in the recipe. You can also use carrot. If you do not like the mild sweet taste from beets or carrots, add a small piece of red pepper.
Tomato paste– Adding just 2 tablespoons of tomato paste improves the flavor and color of this soup in multifold. I just love adding tomato paste in recipes like tomato soup, paneer butter masala etc.
Potato– A small potato used in the soup eliminates the need for corn starch. I absolutely despise the use of corn starch in soup recipes. Adding a small potato yields very creamy tomato soup.
Onions– Onions and garlic add a wonderful flavor to this soup. You can use white onions for milder flavor or red onions as I did here.
Seasoning– This soup is seasoned with just salt and pepper.
Flavoring– I have used dried basil to flavor the soup here. We do not prefer bay leaf in tomato soup at our home. You can also use fresh or dried thyme in this soup. I totally love the continental style tomato basil soup.
Olive oil– Instead of butter I like to use olive oil in this recipe. The flavor of soup is so much better with olive oil in my opinion. If you are keen on using butter you can do so.
Brown sugar– Adding a very small amount of sugar totally rounds off the flavor of this soup by reducing the acidity of tomatoes.
How To Make Tomato Soup From Scratch
These step by step photos are for easy understanding and will help beginners what to expect after each step. Learn how to make best tomato soup at home and enjoy 🙂
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pot.
2. Add 2 plump garlic cloves, 1 small onion. Saute well for 2 minutes.
3. Add 4 large tomatoes halved, a small piece of beetroot and 1 small potato halved.
4. Saute well for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add 1/2 cup water, cover the pot and simmer for 12-15 minutes. If all the water is absorbed mid way, add more.
6. Once the tomatoes and other vegetables are thoroughly cooked, remove from flame and let cool for 10 minutes.
7. Take the veggies in a blender jar along with the water. You can also run it through a food mill or use an immersion blender to blend the soup.
8. Blend into a very smooth puree. if required pass through a sieve. Add water or low sodium broth now.
9. Return the puree to the cooker base, add tomato paste and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add dried or fresh basil leaves, required salt, 1/2 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon pepper powder.
10. Simmer for 2-3 minutes and remove from flame.
11. Serve tomato soup hot or warm with a drizzle of olive oil. Add croutons while serving. You can serve with grilled cheese sandwich for a light yet filling meal.
Make Croutons For Soup
Cut two bread sliced into small cubes. Heat 1/2 tablespoon in a cast iron pan. Add few minced garlic cloves and saute well. Place the bread cubes and sprinkle some dried herbs.
Toast for few minutes, flip and toast again until crispy.
Select ripe, red and plump tomatoes. I prefer to use plum tomatoes as they are less tangy and mildly sweet and tastes best for tomato soup recipes.
Use very good quality olive oil. For this soup I use light olive oil for roasting and while serving drizzling few drop is extra virgin olive oil really elevates the flavor.
If you want to add corn flour instead of potato to the thicken the soup, make a slurry of 2 teaspoons corn flour with 1/4 cup water and add while the soup is simmering. Mix well and simmer well for few minutes to let the raw taste of corn flour go.
Add more or less garlic and onions to suit your taste.
Adding tomato paste increases the tomato flavor and taste. Do use it if you have.
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I add butter instead of oil?
Can I Add Cream In This Tomato Soup?
This particular recipe of tomato soup is thickened with potatoes. So it is thick and creamy on its own. However you can add fresh cream if you wish. Just stir in the fresh cream after adding seasoning and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
You can add whipping cream, heavy cream, coconut cream or low fat cream
Can this soup be frozen?
Yes, it freezes really well. For freezing the soup let it cool thoroughly and then transfer to freezer safe bags. If you want to add cream, add only whole serving. It keeps well for 3-4 months.
What Herbs Are Good In Tomato Soup?
Here I have flavored my soup with dried basils. If you have fresh basil do use it. Few other herbs that go well here are rosemary, oregano, sage, thyme etc.
For milder flavor you can use white or pink pepper powder. For a spicier version you can use paprika powder or red chili flakes.
How to make this soup in instant pot
Simple just follow the recipe as such in saute mode for steps 1 to 4. Then set the instant pot in pressure cooker mode or manual mode, set the timer for 8 minutes. Keep the pressure valve sealed. Once done, let the pressure release naturally. Proceed with the recipe and finally simmer the soup for 3-4 minutes in saute mode.
You can also use a pressure cooker. Cook the veggies for 3-4 whistles after sautéing them.
What can I add instead of beetroot for color?
Small piece of beetroot used in this soup lends a mild sweet taste. If you do not prefer that add 1/2 of a small red pepper.
Red pepper or red bell pepper lends a nice red color as well as some spicy taste.
While this light soup is great as starter with few croutons I often serve it is a whole meal with few additions.
- Some pesto bread or garlic braided bread with a salad like apple cucumber salad, warm beetroot salad, roasted corn salad.
- Cheese toast, cucumber salad , apple cucumber salad with tomato soup
- White sauce pasta, bruschetta with soup
- Even buttered baguette will be very good with this soup, it is one of our favorite dinner recipes.
- For kids you can serve this soup with bread balls, veg cutlets, veg nuggets, cheese balls or a grilled cheese sandwich after school snack. Having a soup as after school snack is filling and healthy while whetting the appetite for dinner.
Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe
- pressure cooker or instant pot
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion large, cubed
- 4 tomatoes large, plump and ripe
- 1 beetroot very small
- 1 potato very small
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup low sodium broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- salt to taste
- roasted makhana optional
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pressure cooker base. Add 2 plump garlic cloves, 1 small onion. Saute well for 2 minutes.
- Add 4 large tomatoes halved, a small piece of beetroot and 1 small potato halved.
- Saute well for 3-4 minutes.
- Add very little water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released let the ingredients cool down a bit.
- Take the veggies in a blender jar along with the water. You can also run it through a food mill or use an immersion blender to blend the soup.
- Blend into a very smooth puree. if required pass through a sieve. Add 3/4 cup water or low sodium broth. Return the puree to the cooker base, add tomato paste and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add dried or fresh basil leaves, required salt, 1/2 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon pepper powder.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes and remove from flame.
- Serve tomato soup hot
lovely tomato soup this is one of my fav thing yummyy
Growing up we tomato soup was our favourite, since not much variety of soups was made at home then…and it still is a favourite!
How can I make this if I don’t have a pressure cooker or instant pot?
I have updated the recipe, please check