Last updated on September 22nd, 2019
Tomato soup recipe- a really good tomato soup recipe that is so delicious, comforting with burst of flavors. This homemade soup recipe is so good with perfect balance of flavors. Not overly sour or sweet and tastes wonderful with crispy croutons. This is my keeper recipe for tomato soup that I can vouch on for taste. Here is how to make the recipe at home.
Tomato soup has to be the most popular soup in India. You will find this soup in the menus of all restaurants right from posh ones to small food joints. However not all tomato soups are made in the same way or taste delicious.
Only very few restaurants make tomato soup from scratch. Many of them use cheap soup packets and add water to it. That is the reason why tomato soup from few restaurants is brilliant while from few is meh 🙂
I rarely order soups in restaurants these days. Most of the soups are more like corn flour paste with too much of taste maker.
This tomato soup recipe is very mildly spiced and does not use a long list of ingredients. Also I would like to state this is not a curried soup or a soup that smells and taste like pulao with bay leaf , cinnamon, cloves 🙂 No offense but for me a tomato soup should be mild, appetizing and comforting.
The star ingredient of this amazing tomato soup are the plump, ripe and slightly sweet tomatoes. You want to the finest tomatoes for best soup.
Serve tomato soup with croutons as starter or you can make a meal out of it with simple pairings. Read on!
This Tomato Soup Recipe Is
Delicious, flavorful and comforting
So vibrant & appetizing
Vegan & Gluten Free
Easy, simple & quick
No colorants, preservatives or corn starch
Kids friendly soup recipe.
This recipe is something I have been making more than a decade and we all just love it. There are no colorants, corn starch or ajinomoto used here. All the taste, flavor and thickness comes from the humble veggies.
Making tomato soup at home is ridiculously easy and you will make the best ever soup in no time. You are just 7 ingredients, 15 minutes and three steps away from the best homemade tomato soup 🙂 It is vegan, gluten free and free from any colorants, preservatives etc.
To make tomato soup you will need plump ripe and slightly sweet tomatoes. If your tomatoes are slightly sweet you can easily cut down the amount of sugar while making soup. A good tomato soup is a perfect balance of tang, sweet and spice with unmistakable flavor.
Here in this recipe we are not using corn flour or sago to thicken the soup. I always add a small potato while making tomato soup and soup thickens beautifully. Next the vibrant and stunning color comes from the addition of a small piece of beetroot. Adding beets also takes care of the sweetness.
All in all this is a clean and healthy tomato soup wit no colorants, corn starch or butter. While I love to use butter in my cooking, again adding butter, bay leaf and cloves kind of make this soup like makhani sauce 🙂 I prefer to make continental tomato soup as we like that more.
Here I have not adorned or added cream to my soup. This is a lighter and comforting soup version. You might check creamy version of this soup if you prefer.This is a wonderful tomato soup that is delicious, comforting and also healthy nutritious.
How Is Tomato Soup Made?
This is a simple three step tomato soup recipe. Here I have used a pressure cooker to make it faster. I don’t blanch or puree the tomatoes first. I feel roasting the tomatoes in a bit of oil and cooking in its own juice brings out wonderful flavor.
- Cook the tomatoes with onions, garlic
- Puree them
- Simmer the soup and season it.
How To Make Tomato Soup (Step by Step)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pressure cooker base.
2. Add 2 plump garlic cloves, 1 small onion. Saute well for 2 minutes.
3. Add 4 large tomatoes halved, a small piece of beetroot and 1 small potato halved.
4. Saute well for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add very little water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
6. Once the pressure is released let the ingredients cool down a bit.
7. take the veggies in a blender jar along with the water.
8. Blend into a very smooth puree. if required pass through a sieve.
9. Return the puree to the cooker base and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
10. Add dried or fresh basil leaves, required salt, 1 teaspoon sugar and 3/4 teaspoon pepper powder.
11. Simmer for 2-3 minutes and remove from flame.
12. Serve tomato soup hot or warm.
What to Garnish Tomato Soup With?
The usual garnish for tomato soup is bread sticks or croutons. Recently I love to garnish soups with roasted makhana. It tastes so good and light, crispy.
For croutons I have shared a detailed recipe already. However if you want to make instant croutons here is how to.
Make Croutons For Soup
Cut two bread sliced into small cubes.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon in a cast iron pan.
Add few minced garlic cloves and saute well. Place the bread cubes and sprinkle some dried herbs.
Toast for few minutes, flip and toast again until crispy.
How To Make A Meal Out Of Tomato Soup?
While this light soup is great as starter with few croutons I often serve it is a whole meal with few additions.
- Some pesto bread or garlic braided bread with a salad like apple cucumber salad, warm beetroot salad, roasted corn salad.
- Cheese toast, cucumber salad , apple cucumber salad with tomato soup
- White sauce pasta, bruschetta with soup
- Even buttered baguette will be very good with this soup
- For kids you can serve this soup with bread balls, veg cutlets, veg nuggets, cheese balls or a piece of paneer pizza etc after school snack. Having a soup as after school snack is filling and healthy while whetting the appetite for dinner.
Can I Add Cream In This Tomato Soup?
This particular recipe of tomato soup is thickened with potatoes. So it is thick and creamy on its own. However you can add fresh cream if you wish. Just stir in the fresh cream after adding seasoning and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Vegans can easily add cashew cream in this recipe.
What Herbs Are Good In Tomato Soup?
Here I have flavored my soup with dried basils. If you have fresh basil do use it.
Few other herbs that go well here are rosemary, oregano, sage, thyme etc.
For milder flavor you can use white or pink pepper powder. For a spicier version you can use paprika powder.
Tips To Make Best Tomato Soup?
Select ripe, red and plump tomatoes. I prefer to use dalad tomatoes as they are less tangy and mildly sweet.
Use very good quality olive oil. For this soup I use light olive oil for roasting and while serving drizzling few drop is extra virgin olive oil really elevates the flavor.
If you want to add corn flour instead of potato to the thicken the soup, make a slurry of 2 teaspoons corn flour with 1/4 cup water and add while the soup is simmering. Mix well and simmer well for few minutes to let the raw taste of corn flour go.
Add more or less garlic and onions to suit your taste.
You can double or halve the recipe.
More Soup Recipes
I hope you will try this tomato recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Tomato Soup Recipe
Tomato Soup Recipe
- 4 ripe red tomatoes
- 1 small piece of beetroot
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small potato
- 3/4 teaspoons crushed peppercorns or pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Bread croutons for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pressure cooker base.
- Add 2 plump garlic cloves, 1 small onion. Saute well for 2 minutes.
- Add 4 large tomatoes halved, a small piece of beetroot and 1 small potato halved.
- Saute well for 3-4 minutes.
- Add very little water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released let the ingredients cool down a bit.
- take the veggies in a blender jar along with the water.
- Blend into a very smooth puree. if required pass through a sieve.
- Return the puree to the cooker base and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add dried or fresh basil leaves, required salt, 1 teaspoon sugar and 3/4 teaspoon pepper powder.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes and remove from flame.
- Serve tomato soup hot or warm.
2.You can top this soup with some fresh cream
3.You can use white pepper instead of black for less spicy soup