Capsicum masala curry recipe is a delicious, creamy and perfect side dish for roti, chapathi, puri & pulao. This flavorful& simple capsicum masala gravy is super easy to make and gets ready in less than 30 minutes.
We love colored bell peppers or capsicum and I use it very frequently in many ways. In this post I am sharing two ways to make capsicum curry. A rich and creamy north Indian style gravy & a nutty flavorful south Indian style gravy with peanuts, coconut and sesame seeds. Both are so good!
Capsicum or bell pepper is a very healthy vegetable that is low in calories and rich in antioxidants. It is used very widely in Indian cooking like capsicum chutney, capsicum rice, aloo capsicum, paneer capsicum and many more.
This capsicum masala recipe is a top favorite at home and we love it with butter naan, kulcha and even rice varieties like jeera rice, pulao. Do read on to know more the recipe, variations and serving suggestions.
About Capsicum Masala Curry
Capsicum curry or capsicum masala is a delicious Indian curry recipe made with bell peppers as main ingredient.
Capsicum curry is a very broad term and there can be many variations. I usually make three versions of this curry.
- North Indian style capsicum masala made in the lines of paneer butter masala
- Spicier capsicum curry made with mirch ka salan gravy
- This delicious capsicum cauliflower masala with fried gobi.
Here I am sharing recipes for first two methods. Both of these are equally delicious & flavorful. You can choose one depending on the dishes you are serving it with.
You will need very few simple ingredients for this capsicum curry. Use colored bell peppers if you have else you can just use green bell peppers.
How To Make Capsicum Curry Recipe
Pick and rinse 3 small bell peppers or 2 large ones thoroughly. I have used 3 small colored peppers. Chop into thin batons and cube the capsicums.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a pan. Add the cubed capsicums and saute till they slightly wilt. Remove to a plate
Preparing Gravy Base
Soak 8 whole cashews in 1/2 cup warm water or milk.
Blanch 3 large tomatoes in boiling water for 5 minutes. I have blanched more tomatoes as I doubled the batch.
Rinse under running cold water and peel the tomatoes. Add to a blender jar and blend into a very smooth pulp. If required you can sieve the pulp.
4. Now blend the soaked cashews into a very smooth paste along with the water.
Make Capsicum Masala
Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a thick pan. Add bay leaf, cardamom pods, cumin seeds and saute well.
Add crushed ginger garlic and saute till raw smell leaves. Next add the tomato puree and mix well. Let cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and cook till the tomato puree leaves fat from sides. This may take around 10 minutes. Cover and cook in medium flame.
Once the tomato puree is well cooked, add 1 cup water and sugar. Mix well and cook for 10 more minutes till the gravy thickens. Now add the capsicum cubes and toss gently. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add fresh cream and stir well. You can also add 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder.
Add crushed kasuri methi, ginger julienne if using and mix well. Serve capsicum masala Hot.
Capsicum Masala Gravy
2 large bell peppers, cubed
3 tablespoons peanuts
1 teaspoon cumin seeds & coriander seeds
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 medium onion
1 large tomato
2 tablespoons grated coconut
1/2 inch ginger
2 cloves garlic or add ginger garlic paste instead.
1 teaspoon each- cumin seeds, mustard seeds, coriander powder, nigella seeds
1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
12 curry seeds
1/4 teaspoon methi seeds
Salt to taste
Rinse and cut the bell peppers into long strips, you can discard the stem if you prefer.
Heat oil in a pan and add the cut chilies. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until they slightly wilt. Keep aside until use.
Heat a pan and dry roast sesame seeds, cumin seeds and peanuts until nice aroma wafts out.
Cool and grind to a coarse powder.
Take 1 roughly chopped onion, 1 roughly chopped tomato, 3 tablespoons grated coconut, 1/2 inch ginger,2-3 cloves garlic in a mixer jar. Grind to a very smooth paste.
Heat a pan with 3 teaspoons oil. Add mustard seeds, methi seeds, cumin seeds, nigella seeds and let them crackle. Add curry leaves and saute well.
Now add the ground spice paste and mix well.
Next add chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, peanut-sesame powder and mix well.
Add salt and saute well till the onion tomato mixture masala leaves out oil.
Add around 1 1/2 cups water and mix well. Next add the tamarind pulp and mix well. Cook till the salan boils and reduces in volume. You can keep the consistency as per your preference. Add more water if needed.
Add the sauteed peppers and mix gently. Finally add chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Remove from flame. Serve capsicum masala curry hot.
Are you making this recipe? I would love to see a snap of your creation too. Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou and please give a star rating ★ in the recipe card above. Follow us on Pinterest , Instagram, Facebook for more recipes and ideas.
capsicum curry recipe | Capsicum butter masala recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
For tomato puree
- 3 tomatoes big
- 1 onion big
- 6-7 cashews
For capsicum masala curry
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups capsicum cubed
- 2 tablespoon fresh cream
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi
- coriander leaves
- For preparing tomato pureeBlanch the tomatoes, onions and cashews in hot water for 2-3 minutes. peel and de seed the tomatoes.Transfer to mixer jar and make a very smooth puree.
- To prepare capsicum masala gravyHeat 4 tablespoons butter in a thick pan.Add tej patta and saute well. Add cardamom pods and saute.Add crushed ginger garlic and saute till raw smell leaves.Add the tomato puree and mix well. Let cook for 2-3 minutesAdd chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and cook till the tomato puree leaves fat from sides. This may take around 10 minutes. Cover and cook in medium flame.In the mean time toast the paneer cubes with some gheeOnce the tomato puree is well cooked, add 1 cup water and sugar. Mix well and cook for 10 more minutes till the gravy thickens.Add fresh cream and stir well.Add the capsicum cubes and toss gently. Simmer for 2-3 minutesAdd crushed kasuri methi, ginger julienne if using and mix well. Serve paneer butter masala with naan, kulcha