Last updated on January 3rd, 2018
Chettinad potato roast with step by step photos. A very tasty and easy to make side dish for rice. Potato roast with chettinad masala is a different yet flavorful potato fry that you can make in minutes. The chettinad masala is a dry spice blend that you can make ahead and store. It is a very tasty and flavorful spice powder and we can use it any stir fry.
I have used small potatoes to make this chettinad potato roast. You can even cube the big potatoes and make this potato fry recipe. Potato is a family favorite and I make some sort of potato fry once a week. I have shared a basic potato fry, small potato roast, garlic potato, potato podi curry etc.
To make chettinad potato roast recipe with small potatoes, select potatoes of uniform size as far as possible. Pressure cook them for just 2 whistles else they may turn mushy. peeling the small potatoes is the biggest work in this recipe. Once you have peeled potatoes ready, this potato roast with chettinad spices gets ready in 10 minutes.
This potato fry with chettinad spice powder is a must try for all potato lovers. So tasty, spicy and crispy it tastes great with sambar rice.
Serve chettinad potato roast with sambar or dal fry etc.
Chettinad potato roast with step by step photos.
Boil and peel the potatoes. Prick with a tooth pick here and there.
Dry roast all the spices mentioned for spice blend and grind to a coarse powder.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a kadai. Temper with mustard, urad dal, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
Add sliced onions and saute for 2 minutes.
Add the potatoes and saute gently.
Add salt, turmeric powder, spice powder and toss.
Cook in medium flame for 10 minutes until the potatoes turn crispy. Serve hot with rice.
Chettinad potato roast recipe card below:
- 20 small potatoes boiled and peeled
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- For chettinad spice powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 6-7 dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper corns
- A small cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- Boil and peel the potatoes. Prick with a tooth pick here and there.
- Dry roast all the spices mentioned for spice blend and grind to a coarse powder.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a kadai. Temper with mustard, urad dal, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add sliced onions and saute for 2 minutes
- Add the potatoes and saute gently
- Add salt, turmeric powder, spice powder and toss.
- Cook in medium flame for 10 minutes until the potatoes turn crispy. Serve hot with rice.
1. Make sure to prick the potatoes here and there so that they absorb the masala
2. Use the spice powder as per taste. You can store the remaining powder and use as needed.