Last updated on July 8th, 2020
This potato curry recipe is so easy, no grind and gets ready in 20 minutes flat. Tastes great with rice, sambar or roti, paratha. A simple no fuss and excellent aloo curry for weeknight dinners. Vegan and gluten free!
Potato curry is a favorite side dish recipe that everyone enjoys. There are many ways to cook potato curry, the one I am sharing today is simple south Indian potato curry recipe.
This is simplest aloo curry recipe perfect for beginners, new cooks. All you need are few potatoes and basic spices.
This easy potato curry comes handy when you want to make an easy side dish with minimum ingredients.
This Potato Curry Is
Quick and easy to make
dry curry perfect for roti, sandwich
Vegan and gluten free
made with very few ingredients
Delicious & flavorful
Potato Curry Tips
To make potato curry recipe you need just 2 spices, turmeric powder and chili powder. There are few tricks for making perfect potato curry.
1. Do not over boil the potatoes. Pressure cook the potatoes for just 3-4 whistles. After peeling, cut the potatoes into same size cubes. Allow the cut potatoes to dry for at least 15 minutes.
2. Once you boil the potatoes, you can set them aside and finish the other cooking and make potato curry at last.
3. The flame should be medium low while making this curry, if you cook in high flame the potatoes will get burnt easily if you leaver unattended even for a short time.
4. Use correct size pan/kadai. The pan should not be over crowded, the potatoes will turn mushy. If you are using cast iron pan make sure it is well seasoned.
Step By Step Aloo Curry
1. Pressure cook or stem cook potatoes. Do not over cook them. Peel and cut into equal sized cubes. Set aside to dry for 15 minutes.
2. Heat a pan/ kadai and add 2 tablespoons oil to it. Once the oil is hot temper with mustard seeds and urad dal.
3. Add the thinly sliced onions. Mix and saute.
4. Saute the onions for 3-4 minutes till it changes translucent.
5. Add the cubed potatoes and mix well,gently. Saute for 2-3 minutes in low-medium flame.
6. Add salt,turmeric powder and chili powder.
7. Saute well and cook for 7-10 minutes till the potatoes turn crispy ad crust if formed.
Serve potato curry hot with sambar rice or rice rice.
I hope you will try this chocolate potato curry recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon powder
- 1 teaspoon split black gram urad dal
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Pressure or steam cook the potatoes. peel and cut into equal size.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper with mustard seeds and split black gram
- Add thinly sliced onions and saute till onions turns translucent.
- Add cubed potatoes and mix well.
- Add salt,turmeric and chili powder,. Mix well and saute.
- Saute and cook in medium flame for 7-10 minutes till potatoes turn crispy. Serve potato curry with rice.
2. If you want to avoid onions, add 1/4 asafoetida along with urad dal while tempering.
3. You can add 1 teaspoon rice flour to make potatoes more crispy.