Last updated on October 11th, 2019
Looking for exotic yet easy sweet recipe? Make this easy coconut ladoo with three ingredients. These are sweet balls made of grated coconut, sweetened condensed milk and a pinch of cardamom powder. These coconut balls go by the name nariyal ladoo in India and it is a crowd favorite. You can make coconut ladoo in four ways and here I have shared all the methods. Here is how to make melt in mouth coconut ladoo at home easily!
Nariyal ladoo or coconut ladoo is a popular Indian mithai or sweet. You will find this sweet made in many Indian homes during festival season. Depending upon the tine and availability of ingredients you can make this coconut ladoo in different ways.
Traditionally coconut ladoo is prepared by cooking grated coconut in milk with sugar. However it is an elaborate process. If you want to make this sweet quicker you can use sweetened condensed milk or milk solids or khoya. Here I an sharing the recipes for all the methods.
In whichever way you make this nariyal ladoo is the most delicious sweet with melt in mouth texture. You can serve this as dessert or snack and it also makes for a wonderful edible gift for special ones.
This Coconut Ladoo Recipe Is
Easy to make with 3 ingredients
Simple and quick to make
Delicious, melt in mouth
Vegetarian and gluten free
To make nariyal ladoo you the main ingredient you need is grated coconut. Ideally freshly grated juicy coconut is preferred. However you can easily make this ladoo with frozen or desiccated coconut too.
I always prefer sweet recipes that are easy to make yet delicious and impressive. Especially during festivals among all the other works it is really helpful to have such simple recipes in our kitty.
Nariyal ladoo is a childhood favorite and it was always prepared in our home during festivals. I have seen my mom make it in both elaborate and quick ways.
As I mentioned above you can make this recipe in 3 ways.
- coconut ladoo with sweetened condensed milk
- nariyal laddu with khoya or milk solids.
- coconut laddu with milk and sugar
- nariyal ladoo with sugar and water (Vegan)
Here I have made the recipe with freshly grated coconut and sweetened condensed milk. For flavoring I have used cardamom powder. If you wish to make this recipe with milk and sugar, you can find the instructions as you read on.
I have not added any nuts or raisins in this ladoo. These sweet coconut balls have such a wonderful melt in mouth texture that I don’t like to alter with crunchy nuts. You can add some ghee roasted nuts if you wish though.
Ingredients For Coconut Ladoo
Type Of Coconut- Ideally freshly grated soft coconut is what you need for ladoo. Soft freshly grated cooks quickly and the texture of laddoo is better. You can however use frozen or even desiccated coconut. I usually keep the desiccated coconut soaked in warm water or milk for 20 minutes before using in any Indian sweet recipes like this ladoo, barfi etc. Also make sure to use unsweetened coconut flakes if using desiccated.
Type Of Sweetener- You can use any of your preferred sweetener in this recipe like sugar, grated jaggery, palm sugar, cane sugar or condensed milk. If using jaggery just grate it finely and use in place of sugar. Also while using jaggery add coconut milk instead of dairy milk.
Add-on – Keeping this recipe as base, you can make so many variations. I have already shared few flavors like mango ladoo, paan laddu etc. You can also check this khoya nariyal ladoo recipe. Few more options are adding gulkand or rose preserve, powdered almonds or cashews or pisatchio.
Flavor Variations– I always use cardamom as we love that flavor in sweets. You can also try saffron. For different continental flavor few drops of vanilla will be good in this sweet coconut balls.
How To Make Coconut Ladoo
Coconut ladoo With Condensed milk - Method 1
1. Grate and measure the grated coconut. Heat 2 teaspoons ghee in a pan. Add the grated coconut and fry for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add condensed milk and mix well.
3. Mix, stir well and cook for 10-12 minutes until the mixture turns to a soft lump.
4. Allow to cool for few minutes, make small ladoos while the mixture is still warm. Roll each ladoo over remaining grated coconut and let the ladoos set until serving.
Coconut ladoo With Milk And Sugar - Method 2
In this method you will have to use milk and sugar instead of condensed milk.
Bring 1 cup full fat milk to a boil in a heavy broad pan. Add 2.25 cups grated coconut and mix very well. Add 1 cup sugar and mix well. Cook the mixture in low flame until it comes together,evaporates and leaves the sides of the pan. Add cardamom powder. Let the mixture cool for 5-6 minutes. Make small balls or ladoos and roll over coconut if desired.
Vegan Coconut Ladoo – Method 3
You can skip milk or condensed milk altogether and make this sweet just with sugar. This is a good option for vegans.
Combine 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a pan. Mix well and let the dissolve over medium flame. Continue cooking until the sugar syrup reaches one string consistency. Add 2 cups grated coconut and 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder. Mix well and cook till the mixture becomes dry and leaves the sides of the pan. Let the mixture cool for few minutes. Make small laddus.
If you are beginner you can make this recipe with condensed milk or milk and sugar first. Once you get the hang of you can try making sugar syrup.
Some Tips For Making The Recipe Perfectly
- Use a thick heavy bottomed pan to avoid burning.
- Make the recipe in medium-low flame and keep stirring continuously to avoid sticking
- Remove from flame while the mixture leaves the sides of the pan with very little moisture. If the mixture becomes very dry you cannot make ladoo. If that happens just add 1/4 cup milk and cook for 3-4 minutes again.
- Also you should quickly make the balls while mixture is still warm. If the mixture cools down and turns crumbly just return to the pan, add 1/4 cup milk and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Store the nariyal ladoos in air tight container in refrigerator. They keep well for a week.
- You can double the recipe.
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this coconut ladoo recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Coconut Ladoo Recipe
coconut ladoo recipe with condensed milk
- 2 cups freshly grated coconut more for dusting
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk OR 1 cup sugar and 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 teaspoons ghee (clarified butter) optional
Coconut Ladoo With Condensed Milk
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add grated coconut and saute well. This step is just for flavor.
- Combine ghee and condensed milk in a heavy pan.
- Mix well and cook in low flame till the mixture turns to a soft mass and leaves the sides of the pan. Add cardamom powder and mix well. let cool for 5 minutes.
- Make small balls or ladoos while the mixture is still warm.
- Let cool and store in airtight container.
Coconut Ladoo With Milk
- Bring milk to a a boil and simmer the flame
- Add grated coconut, sugar, cardamom powder and mix well.
- Cook in low flame for 20-22 minutes or until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Let cool and make ladoos
Vegan Coconut Ladoo
- Combine 1 cup sugar in 1/2 cup water. Mix to dissolve the sugar.
- Continue to cook in low flame till the syrup reaches one string consistency.
- Add grated coconut and mix well. Also add cardamom powder.
- Cook in low flame for until the mixture turns to a soft mass and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Let cool and make balls. Store in airtight container.