Besan Ladoo is one among the most popular Indian sweets for Diwali.
Made with fragrant roasted besan or chickpea flour and desi ghee, these laddu are a top favorite among toddlers and kids too. Packed in pretty boxes these make for a excellent Diwali gift just like kaju katli, peda or badam halwa.
Ladoos are popular Indian mithai or sweet. No Indian festival like Diwali, holi, ganesh chaturti or janmashtami is incomplete without laddus.
Among all the ladoos this besan ladoo is the most popular one. Especially in north India, this sweet is synonymous to Diwali.
What Is Besan Ladoo?
Besan ladoo is a semi soft fudge or sweet ball made of roasted chickpea flour, sugar and ghee.
These ladoos have an amazing flavor, excellent taste and a melt in mouth texture. With just three main ingredients, these are one of the best sweet you can make at home.
Besan means chickpea flour or gram flour in Hindi. At home we love this ladoo and I often make as it needs basic ingredients and easy to make once you get the knack.
You will have to roast the chickpea flour in ghee well to make perfect besan ladoo. This step alone can make or break this recipe. Then you will add powdered sugar and furthermore make small balls.
You just need very few simple ingredients to make this besan laddu yet it tastes very exotic and rich.
This Besan Ladoo Is
Traditional & authentic recipe
Delicious, flavorful & melt in mouth
Uses just the required amount of ghee
Simple recipe with just three main ingredients
Best sweet for festivals like Diwali
Kid friendly sweet with mild flavor.
Two Ways Of Making Besan Laddu Recipe
In first method the besan is dry roasted first.
Ghee is added to the roasted besan and further sauteed. This method is for easy besan laddu.
In second way of making besan laddu, the besan or gram flour is roasted in ghee.
I always follow this method as the ladoo are shiny and more flavorful here.
The taste and texture of besan ladoo is much better than the first method. Also this recipe works well with both coarse or smooth besan.
This is my tried and tested recipe for best besan ladoo. This is one of the fool proof recipe to try at home and below I have listed some tips and tricks.
Tips To Make Besan Ladoo.
Ghee- Use finest quality desi ghee for making these ladoos. I always prefer fresh homemade ghee for Indian sweets.
Type of chickpea flour– You can use fine or coarse chickpea flour in this recipe. if you use coarse flour there will be a delicious crunch in your ladoos. However make sure to use fresh and very good quality besan for ladoo.
The chickpea flour you use should be fresh, aromatic without any rancid flavor or taste.
Roasting besan– An important step that will make or break the besan ladoos is roasting the chick pea flour in ghee. Roast the besan in low flame for good 15 minutes. This has to be done only in low flame.
You can add 1 cashew along with besan while roasting. Once the cashew turns dark golden it means besan is roasted. This tip is for beginners. Just make sure the besan is dark golden and emits a nutty aroma to check if it is done.
If the chick pea flour is not roasted properly your laddu will leave a raw after taste. So roast the flour very well.
The ghee should not be smoking hot for roasting the chickpea flour.
Keep Stirring throughout – While roasting besan you need to keep stirring it throughout the time. It will take around 25-30 minutes in low flame. Continous stirring is a must for uniform roasting of the besan or chickpea flour.
Adding ghee & sugar – Next do not add all the ghee at a stretch. Start with 1/2 cup and add more only if required while making besan ladoos. Keep the melted warm ghee at ready though.
Add sugar only after removing the besan from flame. Use superfine powdered sugar or bhoorah in this recipe. Do not use granulated sugar.
To make shiny and smooth besan ladoos like seen here add 2 more tablespoons of warm ghee while shaping them. Also grease your palm generously with ghee 🙂
Semolina or Rava- In some recipes you will find some rava or fine semolina added along with besan in this laddu recipe. Adding rava yields crunchy texture to this laddu. If you prefer add 1 or 2 tablespoons roasted fine semolina in this recipe.
Storing the laddus– Store the besan ladoo in airtight containers. Keeps well for a week.
A pack of besan laddu is a wonderful edible gift for festivals like diwali, new year. These homemade ladoos are much better than store bought ones.
How To Make Besan Ladoo
1. heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a pan and fry the crushed nuts well. Remove the fried nuts along with ghee and set aside.
2. In the same pan add 1/2 cup ghee and heat it. Once it is hot but not smoking, add the gram flour and start roasting. maintain low flame through the entire process.
3. Keep stirring continuously. The flour has to completely absorb the ghee, turn golden with a nutty aroma.
4. Once the besan is roasted, add crushed saffron,nuts along with ghee, cardamom powder and mix very well.
5. remove from flame, add powdered sugar and mix well without any lumps.
6. Keep mixing till all the sugar is absorbed and the mixture solidifies a bit. At the stage you will find the besan ladoo mixture to be loose. The mixture will solidify on cooling.
7. Once the mixture is warm to handle make besan ladoos of desired size. You can refrigerate the mixture for 10 minutes if the mixture is still loose after cooling for sometime.
More Diwali Sweets Recipes
I hope you will try this besan ladoo recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Homemade Besan Laddu Recipe
Besan ladoo recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 2 cups besan (gram flour/ chickpea flour/ kadalai mavu)
- 1/2 cup ghee add 2 more tablespoons if required
- 3 tablespoons nuts (almonds, pistachios) chopped
- 1 1/4 cup sugar powdered
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a pan and fry the crushed nuts well. Remove the fried nuts along with ghee and set aside.
- In the same pan add 1/2 cup ghee and heat it. Once it is hot but not smoking, add the gram flour and start roasting. maintain low flame through the entire process. Keep stirring continuously. The flour has to completely absorb the ghee, turn golden with a nutty aroma.
- Once the besan is roasted, add crushed saffron,nuts along with ghee, cardamom powder and mix very well.
- remove from flame, add powdered sugar and mix well without any lumps. Keep mixing till all the sugar is absorbed and the mixture solidifies a bit. At the stage you will find the besan ladoo mixture to be loose. The mixture will solidify on cooling. Once the mixture is warm to handle make ladoos of desired size. You can refrigerate the mixture for 10 minutes if the mixture is still loose after cooling for sometime.