Wanna indulge in dessert that is healthier? Make these chocolate date nut bars! These are ridiculously easy to make, and insanely delicious. Perfect little bite when that sudden dessert cravings strike! Vegan & gluten free!
Are you a chocoholic? I am for sure one and crave chocolate very often. I often make healthier treats with a little bit of chocolate to address my cravings but not loaded with too much of sugar.
These date nut bars for instance are a healthy treat where I have added just a bit of organic vegan chocolate making it so delicious and rich.
I quickly roasted some nuts, pulsed them with soaked dates, spread it on a plate and added a layer of melted chocolate. After couple of hours in refrigerator we had these amazing date nut bars covered with chocolate that was perfect in every sense 🙂
Here I have used whatever nuts I had in stock. You can easily make this recipe with whatever nuts you like. You can also add chopped apricots, figs, dried berries to make it more delicious.
Use best quality chocolate if you take chocolate seriously like me 🙂 I have used dark chocolate here. I just melted it and poured over the nuts mixture.
You can even temper the chocolate for shinier and smoother finish. You can even use white chocolate or a combination of dark and white chocolate to create marble effect.
These little bars have everything you would look in a snack. Serve these as snack or even in breakfast with milk. These are so good for those midnight chocolate cravings.
These Date Nut Bars Are
Healthier treats for all
Covered with chocolate!
Vegan and gluten free
Contains all mixed nuts
Healthy snack for kids.
To make these delicious bars, you need just three ingredients plus desiccated coconut or cocoa powder for topping.
I have used regular dried dates here but use medjool dates if you have, they are softer and sweeter.
For nuts you can use any combination of mixed nuts you like. I have used almonds, pistachios and walnuts. Other options for you are
Along with nuts you can also use chopped dry fruits like apricots, cranberries, blueberries, figs etc.
The ratio of nuts to dry fruits should be correct so that the bar sets well and slices properly.
The nuts you use can be raw or roasted as per preference. We prefer roasted nuts so I used them. This recipe as such is vegan but you can add a wee bit of ghee to roast the nuts for flavor if you like.
For chocolate covering use any variety of chocolate you prefer.
Step By Step Method
Pit the dates and soak them in warm water for 15 minutes.
Drain and grind to a fine paste in a blender or mixer grinder.
Measure the nuts and dry roast in a hot pan for 3-4 minutes in medium flame. Roast until nice aroma wafts out. Let cool.
Transfer to a dry grinder jar or food processor and pulse well. Do not grind into a fine powder.
Now mix the dates paste with pulsed nuts thoroughly.
Transfer to a plate or baking tray and spread well. Let it set for 30 minutes.
Melt 200 grams chocolate in microwave or in a double boiler until smooth.
Pour over the set nut mixture and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
Top with desiccated coconut, slice and serve.
I hope you will try this chocolate covered date nut bars recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Date Nut Bars
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 20 dried dates reduce to 15 if using medjool dates
- 8 dried figs optional
- 2 cups mixed nuts almonds, cashews, walnuts, pistachios
- 200 grams chocolate
- dessicated coconut for topping, optional
- Pit the dates and soak them in warm water for 15 minutes along with figs. Drain and grind to a fine paste in a blender or mixer grinder.
- Measure the nuts and dry roast in a hot pan for 3-4 minutes in medium flame. Roast until nice aroma wafts out. Let cool.
- Transfer to a dry grinder jar or food processor and pulse well. Do not grind into a fine powder.
- Now mix the dates paste with pulsed nuts thoroughly.
- Transfer to a plate or baking tray and spread well. Let it set for 30 minutes.
- Melt 200 grams chocolate in microwave or in a double boiler until smooth.
- Pour over the set nut mixture and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Top with desiccated coconut, slice and serve.
- You can double the recipe.
- Please do not alter the ratio of nuts to dates.