With this recipe of homemade date syrup you will never need to buy a bottle from store again. Tasty, healthy and clean date syrup ready in 30 minutes flat. Apart from mixing with milk, you can use this as dessert or cake topping too! Here is how to make healthy date syrup at home without any additives. Just one ingredient- dried dates 🙂
Date syrup is considered to be one of the very healthy supplement for toddlers and kids in India. Date syrup which also goes by the name silan (date honey). Whether or not it is a super food, this homemade date syrup is
- clean and hygienic
- very easy and quick to make
- vegan and gluten free
- no additives (just dried dates and water)
- better substitute for white sugar
- very delicious and flavorful.
This one will sure come handy for you to replace white sugar in toddlers and kids milk, milkshakes etc. Also it does taste just like lion date syrup, which was / is a rage in India.
I usually stock up on dates to feed my daughter with two or three everyday. Recently we were given a big stash of really good quality dates from a relative who visited Dubai. After making my dates cookies, cakes I wanted to try this syrup too. It turned out too good and I have already made it thrice for our family and some relatives too.
So What Exactly Is Date Syrup?
Date syrup or silan is a condiment made just from dried dates and water. It resembles molasses or honey in texture and color. While often recommended as a super food and healthy supplement, you can easily replace sugar in toddlers and kids diet with this date syrup.
Dates are very healthy fruit with immense nutrition. You know how it is recommended to dates in our diet especially for its rich iron content. Here are some more health benefits of dates.
While dates are very healthy , sometimes it becomes very difficult to get toddlers and kids actually eat them. That’s when you can try this homemade date syrup. Just mix it up with their milk or you can serve it in many other ways too. (See serving suggestions and uses below).
All that is said, please note that date syrup is a very concentrated form of sugar. The sugar content is very high and you cannot use it large quantities on day to day basis.
A reasonable amount of syrup as replacement of dried date fruit will help you reap the benefits.
This date syrup is very widely used in Middle Eastern cuisine. You can find more information about date syrup here.
Can We Feed Date Syrup To Babies?
Usually we start off babies with dates after eight months. Just a half dried date, soaked in water and mashed very well. So you can also start off with date syrup but very less quantity until one year. Do consult your doctor before introducing any new food to babies.
How To Serve Date Syrup To Toddles And Kids?
- In milk- the easiest way is to just mix up some date syrup in their warm milk. 2 teaspoons of syrup is good for a cup of milk.
- Breakfast topping- You can easily serve this date honey as topping for pancakes, waffles and side dish for toast, paratha, dosa. Again just 2 or 3 teaspoons will go long way.
Where Can I Use Date Syrup Day To Day?
- Replacement of white sugar- You can use this date syrup instead of white sugar to sweeten the milk, coffee etc. You can also use it as topping for apple muffins, carrot muffins etc.
- Dessert topping- This syrup is gorgeous as topping for your homemade desserts, ice cream and sundeas. It tastes really good.
Some Tips For Making Perfect Date Syrup
The quantity of syrup depends on the quality of your dates. Select plump and fresh dates as they contain more pulp and yields more syrup.
The consistency of the syrup depends on how long you actually cook the juice extracted from dates. For thicker syrup you should cook longer.
If required you can add 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla for flavor.
Store the date syrup in a clean dry bottle. Always use clean dry spoon to serve.
As this syrup is made without preservatives I always refrigerate this and use within 15 days for the given quantity.
More date recipes you might like
How To Make Date Syrup Step by Step
First of all if you have refrigerated the dates, remove them to a bowl and add water to cover them. Set aside for 10 minutes.
Drain the water and pit the dates and halve them or chop them roughly. It is always recommended to purchase dates with seed rather than seedless ones.
Bring 4 cups of water to rolling boil in a big pan. Add the pitted and halved dates. Let cook for 5-6 minutes. Switch off the flame and let the dates remain in hot water for an hour.
Place a sieve over a large bow. Filter the water from the soaked dates.
Using the back of ladle or potato masher mash the cooked dates really well to remove all the liquid.
Now take the filtered liquid back to a sauce pan.
Simmer for 15-20 minutes to get the date syrup in desired consistency. I simmered for around 15 minutes and kept the consistency slightly thin as it thickens on refrigerating.
Let the syrup cool thoroughly before storing in airtight bottles. keep refrigerated.
Homemade Date Syrup Recipe
Homemade Date Syrup
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 2 cups dried dates pitted
- 4 cups water
- If you have refrigerated the dates, remove them to a bowl and add water to cover them and set aside for 10 minutes. This will soften the dates and makes it easier to pit them.
- Drain the excess water and pit the dates and halve them or chop them roughly.
- In a big pan bring 4 cups of water to rolling boil. Add the pitted and halved dates and cook for 5-6 minutes. Switch off the flame. Let the dates remain in hot water for an hour.
- Using a sieve over large bowl filter the water from the soaked dates. Using the back of ladle or potato masher mash the cooked dates really well. Get all the juice extracted from the dates by mashing.
- You will get about 2.5 cups of extracted liquid. Now take the filtered liquid back in a sauce pan. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. The syrup will start to thicken. Simmer till the syrup thickens and reduces a bit.
- I simmered for around 15 minutes to keep the consistency slightly thin as it thickens on refrigerating.