Last updated on September 15th, 2019
Lachha paratha recipe – a popular layered paratha recipe from north Indian often also known as lachedar paratha or paratwala paratha. This crispy multi layered Punjabi lachha paratha is made from whole wheat flour.
Lachha paratha also known as lachedar paratha is the north Indian variation of south Indian parotta. While the parotta is made of plain flour this lachha paratha is made of whole wheat flour. Other than this difference most of all the preparation remains the same. Another popular variation of this recipe is pudina lachha paratha.
This lachha paratha recipe is quite different from other stuffed paratha recipes like aloo paratha, gobi paratha, paneer paratha both in the way of making and also in taste. Lachha means layers and lachha paratha is layered paratha. This paratha is made by pleating and disc and then again rolled. This way layers are formed and when cooked the layers become more visible and paratha is quite crispy and delicious.
To make laccha paratha recipe, use good quality whole wheat flour. I use organic wheat flour with barn in my recipes and I especially like the rustic paraths from this flour. Furthermore I prefer to use ghee for frying these parathas. I feel lachha paratha tastes better when fried with ghee as compared to butter or oil.
I prefer to make these parathas thick as there will be more layers in thick paratha. Just make sure to cook the paratha really well in low-medium flame so that the layers get cooked well.
Serve lachha paratha with any spicy pickle or side dish of your choice along with raita. I served this paratha with thakkali thhokku and curd.
Lachha paratha recipe with step by step photos:
1. Measure wheat flour and take in a mixing bowl. Add 1 teaspoon oil or ghee and salt to it.
2. Mix well.
3. Add 1 1/2 cups water and knead to a smooth pliable dough. The dough should be supple and soft. Keep aside the dough for 20-30 minutes.
4. At the time of making lachha paratha, divide the dough into 6 equal sized balls.
5. Take a ball, dust it with some flour and press slightly. Roll into thin disc of 6″ diameter.
7. Apply some ghee/oil all over the disc and sprinkle some wheat flour.
8. Now start pleating the disc from the oppostie edge just like saree pleating. We call this as visiri madippu in Tamil.
9. Roll the pleated dough into a circle. Press and join the edges. Heat a iron griddle/tava now.
10. Now roll this again into a disc. layers will be slightly visible now.
11. Place the rolled disc on the hot griddle and cook till completely done from both sides. Apply some ghee while cooking. Lachha parathas take some time to get cooked compared to normal rotis.
12. Once done, the parathas will be crispy. Serve lachha paratha hot with side dish of your choice. The layers will be more visible once the parathas are torn.
Lachha paratha recipe card below:
Lachha paratha recipe, how to make lacha paratha recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour + more
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Melted ghee
- Take 2 cups wheat flour, 1 teaspoon oil or ghee and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Mix well, add water and knead to a smooth dough. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- At the time of making paratha, divide the dough into 6 equal balls.
- take one ball and roll into a 6" thin disc.
- Apply some ghee and spread evenly, sprinkle some wheat flour.
- Pleat the dough from the opposite side.
- Roll the pleated dough into a circle and roll into thin disc again.
- Place the rolled disc on a hot tava and cook from both sides with some oil/ghee
- Serve paratha hot.
2. Adding ghee makes more tasty parathas.
3. You can slightly crumble the parathas before serving just like parota.