Last updated on March 26th, 2020
Aloo paratha recipe- a rustic dhaba style recipe to make delicious Punjabi aloo paratha, the most popular of all north Indian parathas.
Here I am sharing the easy recipe for aloo paratha just like dhabas with video and also step by step photos.
Aloo paratha recipe is an Indian whole flat bread stuffed with spicy and tangy potato or aloo mixture. We love stuffed parathas at our home and this delicious Punjabi aloo paratha is our favorite especially. Furthermore this paratha is also a healthy wholesome breakfast for the family.
Parathas are cooked with butter and served with raita, chole, pickle etc. Parathas also go well with thick yogurt and pickle. Aloo paratha recipe is a healthy breakfast for toddlers and kids. Especially this will be a hit with kids because they love potato. You can also make mini parathas for toddlers with the same recipe.
A popular variety of aloo paratha is dhaba style aloo paratha. Dhaba food is usually very rustic and filling because they are mostly eaten by people who do a lot of manual work and especially by people on the go. Also dhaba foods are mostly inexpensive. I am adding this tried and tested aloo paratha recipe that I am making for quite some years.
Dhaba style parathas are more thick, buttery and also crispy. The filling is also somewhat spicy and tangy. Furthermore in some places they also shallow fry the paratha so that they turn out very crispy.
To make aloo paratha recipe, use very good quality wheat flour. Do not use superfine wheat flour because you cannot make rustic thick parathas with it. The wheat flour used for making parathas should have some barn. I have used organic whole wheat flour here with some barn. This yields rustic aloo paratha with some chars same as in dhaba.
Usaully butter is used to fry the aloo parathas. Butter makes rich and tasty parathas. Vegans can use oil to fry the paratha though. We need to cook the edges of the parathas thoroughly. Add some butteror oil towards the edges and press the edges well while frying.
This aloo stuffing is very easy to make simple one. It uses mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes are seasoned with basic Indian spice powders. To make the aloo filling more healthy you can also add boiled peas or hopped carrots.
Some variations in aloo paratha recipe.
1. You can make tasty and healthier aloo paratha by just mixing some ragi or finger millet flour along with whole wheat flour. You can also use any millet flour.
2. You can make aloo paneer paratha also. You can also use peas in the stuffing.
3. You can mix in 1 cup cleaned and chopped methi leaves to the aloo stuffing. This aloo methi combination is tasty and also very healthy.
4. Furthermore you can also add chopped palak leaves to the aloo stuffing. Aloo palak paratha is once again and tasty and healthy breakfast for toddlers and kids.
Serve aloo paratha hot with white butter. You can also serve with curd, raita too. Furthermore you can also serve with chole and pickle.
Some tips for making perfect aloo paratha recipe
1. Make sure the filling is smooth and there are no lumps. The potato has be well mashed so that the paratha does not break while rolling.
2. Crush the ginger garlic very well so that they do not interrupt while rolling.
3. It is best to use butter for frying aloo paratha. Ghee can also be used. However if you vegan you can always use oil to fry the parathas.
4. Make sure the dough is pliable and soft else the parathas will be hard.
5. It is important to maintain proper temperature for fying aloo parathas. The tava has to be medium hot otherwise the parathas will turn hard.
6. Amchur powder in aloo paratha gives a slight tangy ans sour taste, so do not miss it.
how to make punjabi aloo paratha recipe video:
How to make aloo paratha recipe
How to make the outer dough:
1. First of all pressure cook or boil 2 large potatoes for stuffing. Next Take wheat flour in a mixing bowl. Add salt and oil. Mix well.
2. Make a well in the center and add 3/4 cup water.
3. Mix well slowly and knead to a smooth dough. The dough should be soft, supple and non sticky.
4. Set the dough aside for 10-15 minutes while we make the filling.
Potato stuffing for aloo paratha recipe.
First of all take the boiled potatoes and peel off the skin. Mash the potatoes very well. Add rest of the stuffing ingredients and mix well.
5. Finally mix well and make the stuffing. You can also make small balls out of stuffing.
Rolling and stuffing the aloo paratha:
6. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Divide the filling also.
7. Take a dough ball and roll into a small circle. Keep one portion of prepared stuffing and close from all the sides. Seal in the center and press slightly. Make sure to seal properly so that the filling doesn’t come out while rolling.
8. Roll into thick circle of about 6 inches.
Frying aloo paratha:
First of all heat a thick tava or griddle. The tava has to be thick enough so that it retains the heat and also the paratha will crisp up. It is best to use cast iron tava so that there is uniform cooking.
9. Place the rolled paratha on hot tava. Spread some butter or ghee on the top and also over the edges. cook in medium flame for a minute. You can also use oil for making vegan paratha.
10. Flip and cook the other side. Add some more butter if needed. Cook till edges turn crispy and brown spots appear from both sides. Make all the parathas in the same way and stack them up. You can also spread some butter before stacking.
10. Serve aloo paratha piping hot. Finally just before serving also you can top the aloo paratha with some butter.
Easy method to make aloo paratha without stuffing:
This method is especially for beginners who may find stuffing difficult. We can also make this easy paratha when we want to fix breakfast quickly.
First of all just mix together whole wheat flour, mashed potatoes and spices together. Next add water slowly and make a soft dough. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes. Divide this dough and roll into thick parathas. Finally fry as mentioned in the recipe and serve. You can also make layered paratha with this dough. As compared to traditional method of making aloo paratha this method takes less time and effort.
Aloo paratha recipe card below:
aloo paratha recipe dhaba style
For paratha dough:
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon oil
For aloo stuffing:
- 2 Potatoes large
- 2 green chillies+1/2 inch ginger crushed together
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon amchur
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter or oil for frying paratha
- Pressure cook or boil 2 large potatoes. Take wheat flour in a mixing bowl. Add salt and oil. Mix well.
- Make a well in the center and add 3/4 cup water.
- Mix well slowly and knead to a smooth dough. The dough should be soft, supple and non sticky.
- Set the dough aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Take the boiled potatoes and peel off the skin. Mash the potatoes very well. Add all the other ingredients for stuffed.
- Mix well and make the stuffing.
- Heat a heavy cast iron tava. Divide the dough into 4-5 equal portions. Divide the filling too.
- Take a dough ball and roll into a small circle. Keep one portion of prepared stuffing and close from all the sides. Seal in the center and press slightly.
- Roll into thick circle of about 6 inches.
- Place in the hot tava and cook very well from both sides. Use butter for frying. finally
- Serve aloo paratha piping hot.
2. Cook the edges well by pressing them well.