Last updated on October 14th, 2019
Kadai paneer recipe with step by step photos. A very easy to make tasty restaurant style kadai paneer recipe in very less time. kadai paneer is a very popular Indian curry made with paneer or Indian cottage cheese along with capsicum, onion and tomatoes. You can use ready made spice powders in this recipe and this paneer curry comes together in minutes.
Kadai paneer is a very popular Indian paneer recipes. kadai paneer gets its name as the curry is cooked in akdai or Indian wok. A kadai is the most important utensil in an Indian kitchen. Though we make all stir fried in kadai only few recipes like kadai paneer, kadai bhindi, kadai mushrooms etc go by this name.
there are two variations in kadai paneer recipe. One is kadai paneer gravy and the other is semi dry kadai paneer. today I am sharing the semi dry version of kadai paneer. Restaurant style kadai paneer can be prepared very easily at home if you have spice powders in hand. freshly pound spices increase the flavor of kadai paneer, but for quick fix you can use ready made powders too.
To make kadai paneer recipe capsicum, onions are used along with paneer. Homemade paneer for kadai paneer is the best choice. You can use colored peppers if you prefer.
Tips for making perfect kadai paneer
1. Try to use homemade paneer as they are soft and fresh
2. if using store bought paneer for kadai paneer, keep the cubes immersed in hot water until adding to the curry
3. Use fresh and aromatic spice powders if you are unable to pound your own spices.
4. Kasuri methi in kadai paneer is a must. Do not skip it.
5. Select red and ripe tomatoes to use in this curry
6. Adding kashmiri red chili powder gives kadai paneer a nice color.
Restaurant style Kadai paneer recipe card below:
Kadai paneer recipe,how to make restaurant style kadai paneer recipe |Pane
- 1 cup paneer cubes
- 1 medium green bell pepper cut into bite size cubes.
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 green chillies slit
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger crushed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon kasuri methi
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Cut paneer and bell peppers into bite size cubes.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes finely.
- Heat 2 tablespoons in a kadai and temper with cumin seeds.
- Add crushed ginger,green chillies and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onions and saute till translucent
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper,all the spice powders and salt. Saute very well till the masala leaves out oil
- Add the cubed paneer and toss gently.
- Add kasuri methi,mix well and serve hot.
2. You can use different colored bell peppers in this recipe
Step by step restaurant style kadai paneer recipe
1. Cut the paneer into bite size cubes. If using frozen paneer,defrost and thaw completely before cutting. You can keep the paneer cubes soaked in very hot water until use to retain softness.
2. Heat a kadai and add 2 tablespoons oil to it. Temper with cumin seeds,add slitted green chillies,crushed ginger and saute for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the thinly sliced onions and saute for 3-4 minutes until it turns translucent.
4. Add the finely chopped tomatoes and saute for 4-5 minutes.
5. Add the cubed bell peppers and mix well. Add chilli powder,turmeric powder,coriander seed powder,garam masala,salt and sugar.Mix well and saute very well till the tomatoes turn mushy and leaves out oil.
6. Add the cubed paneer and mix well. Toss gently for 2 minutes. Add crushed kasuri methi and remove from flame.
7. Serve kadai paneer hot with rice/roti
Vegan option: Vegans can us tofu instead of paneer.