Roasted sweet potato salad- that perfect winter salad recipe you will make again and again and again 🙂 With season’s best sweet potatoes, carrots and corns, it also has your salad favorites like cucumber and tomatoes. For a little crunch there are some walnuts and flax seeds and everything doused in a humble yet delicious lemon dressing! What’s not to love? Here is how to make best ever roasted sweet potato salad recipe. Also it is vegan and gluten free!
A Sweet Potato Salad So Good !
I made this salad with roasted sweet potatoes three times in a row last week and here is my claim, the best roasted sweet potato salad ever 🙂
With crispy roasted cubes of sweet potatoes and carrots, this salad is a brilliant combination of seasonal favorites along with cucumber and tomatoes thrown in. No heavy dressing here, just a touch of salt, pepper, roasted cumin and some lemon juice.
I have also thrown in some walnuts and flax seeds for added crunch. Altogether this is a really good sweet potato salad that is excellent as a side with some toasted bread and soup or a light meal too. Do see the notes for ideas on making a meal out of this salad.
But my favorite way to eat sweet potatoes is roasting them. I like oven roasted sweet potatoes so much and I have used the same to build this salad. Here you can easily use steamed sweet potatoes and I really urge to give roasted ones a go. Even if roasting in oven is not an option you can pan roast them. I have included notes below.
Soup and salad meal appeals to me the most in winter. But along with the salad and soup I do add a small toast or pasta especially for the kid.
Serve this roasted sweet potato salad as soon as prepared while the roasted veggies are still warm.
This Roasted Sweet Potato Salad Recipe Is
Hearty, warm & comforting
Vegan & Gluten Free
Easy & Simple recipe
20 Mins from start to finish
Kid friendly nutritious.
Roasting Sweet Potatoes For Salad
For making roasted sweet potato salad we will first. I prefer to use oven for roasting as it does require baby sitting. However if you want to roast on stove top you can do that too. All you need is a good cast iron pan. Along with sweet potatoes I have thrown in some diced carrots here. Roasted carrots are simply delicious in this salad.
Before attempting to roast sweet potatoes in oven here are few points to note.
Main a high oven temperature. I usually roast at 220 C but you can go up to 240 C. Roasting in high temperature for short time flash cooks the vegetables leaving the edges beautifully caramelized and roasted while the inside remains melt in mouth soft.
Coat the sweet potatoes with some olive oil– You can use any oil or butter here but I feel olive oil works the best here. I like to mildly season the sweet potatoes with a bit of salt, some sugar and a dash of chili powder before roasting.
Roasting In Oven: Preheat oven at 220 C or 440 F. Place the peeled and cubed sweet potatoes in a bowl. Add salt, sugar (helps in caramelizing ), red chili powder and 1 teaspoon olive oil. You can add also add cubed carrots if using.
Toss well and layer on a baking tray. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until crispy and done.
Roasting in a cast iron pan: Heat a cast iron pan with 1 teaspoon oil. Spread the oil well. Add the cubed sweet potatoes and sprinkle with some salt and chili powder. Also add sugar. Roast in medium flame for 15 -20 minutes flipping and tossing gently.
How To Make Roasted Sweet Potato Salad.
Once the roasted sweet potatoes are ready this salad comes together in minutes. You can add some or all the veggies mentioned here as per taste. Also check the variations I have mentioned below.
1. Place chopped cucumbers and tomatoes in a bowl.
2. Add boiled corn, roasted veggies, sliced green chilies, chopped walnuts, salt, roasted cumin and pepper powder. Finally drizzle lemon or lime juice. Toss well.
3. Serve roasted sweet potato salad immediately.
Tips For Making Sweet Potato Salad
- Make sure to cube the sweet potatoes and carrot in equal size for even roasting
- Do not add too much of olive oil as it will turn the veggies soggy while roasting
- Serve this salad as soon as you make to prevent veggies turning mushy.
Variations With Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- You can add cubed paneer or tofu cubes to make this salad more hearty
- Bits of toasted bread or croutons will taste good too
- In the dressing you can honey or maple along with lemon juice
- Bits of feta cheese like in this water melon salad will be good too.
I hope you will try this roasted sweet potato salad recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 1.5 cups cubed sweet potatoes about 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup cubed carrots optional
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste
Other Ingredients For Salad
- 1/2 cup boiled sweet corn
- 1/4 cup cubed cucumbers
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey optional, skip if vegan
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- salt to taste
Roasting Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven at 220 C or 440 F. Place the peeled and cubed sweet potatoes in a bowl. Add salt, sugar (helps in caramelizing ), red chili powder and 1 teaspoon olive oil. You can add also add cubed carrots if using.
- Toss well and layer on a baking tray. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until crispy and done.
Making Sweet Potato Salad
- Place chopped cucumbers and tomatoes in a bowl
- Add boiled corn, roasted veggies, sliced green chilies, chopped walnuts, salt, roasted cumin and pepper powder. Finally drizzle lemon or lime juice. Toss well.
- . Serve sweet potato salad immediately
- Serve this salad as soon as you make it as it will turn soggy.
- The recipe can be doubled or halved.