Sweet potato chips recipe– a traditional south Indian chips recipe made with sweet potatoes. These crunchy sweet potato fries are delicious and addictive. These mildly sweet chips tastes really yummy when eaten hot. Here is how to make crispy and crunchy potato chips at home easily.
These fabulous sweet potato chips are so easy to make and quick too. All you need is a good slicer to make thin slices of sweet potato. Sweet potatoes are sturdier than potatoes so your slicer needs to be really good and sharp. Use a mandolin slicer if you have one.
These chips have a slight sweet taste and that is what makes these chips wonderful. Also sweet potatoes are less in calories and these are healthier chips too.
I like to make these chips with slightly heavy seasoning. As you know these chips are mildly sweet so adding more chili powder compliments the flavor. However while you are making sweet potato chips for toddlers and kids you can reduce the seasoning.
Serve sweet potato chips as snack or as side dish with variety rice.
More Chips Recipes
Sweet Potato Chips Ingredients:
Select plump and fresh sweet potatoes for chips.The ones with thin skin. The pinkish sweet potatoes are best suited for chips.
To fry the sweet potato chips you can use any vegetable oil, peanut oil or coconut oil.
For seasoning I have used just salt and red chili powder. You can use pepper powder or even chili flakes.
How To Make Sweet Potato Chips in Oven Or Baked Sweet Potato Chips?
To make baked sweet potato chips in oven slice the sweet potatoes using a mandolin or slice into thin rounds using a sharp knife.
Grease a baking sheet with oil and arrange the sweet potato slices in single layer. Give a quick spray of oil over the slices.
Bake in the preheated oven at 170 C for 18-20 minutes. Flip the chips after 10-12 if required. Bake till the slices shrink at the edges, turn light and crispy.
Sprinkle salt and chilli powder to the baked chips and toss well.
How To Make Sweet Potato Chips In Air Fryer?
You can prepare this chips in an air fryer just like how you would using an oven.
Why Is My Sweet Potato Chips Not Crispy?
The sweet potato chips turn out soggy and not crispy for two reasons.
- the oil used for frying should be hot. If you fry the chips in oil that is not hot enough, the chips may turn soggy
- Let the chips cool down completely before storing. If you store them in airtight container while they are still hot the chips will turn soggy.
Recipe Notes, Tips and Suggestions:
To make sweet potato chips crispy make sure to slice the sweet potatoes really thin. Also the slices should have uniform thickness for even cooking.
The temperature of oil is crucial for making best tasting chips. The oil should be hot but not smoking.
I always slice the chips directly over hot oil. If you are beginner then be very careful while doing this as the oil is really hot. You can also slice the chips on a plate and gently slide in the hot oil.
Fry the chips in medium flame.
Store the sweet potato chips in airtight container after cooling down thoroughly. They stay well for 3-4 days at room temperature.
The recipe can be doubled or tripled.
How To Make Sweet Potato Chips Step by Step
1. Wash and scrub the skin of the sweet potatoes thoroughly OR wash an peel the skin.
2. Heat oil until smoking point for deep frying. Once hot,slice the sweet potatoes directly over hot oil using a slicer or slice on a plate and slide inside the hot oil.
3.Stir once or twice very gently to prevent pieces from sticking. Wait until the noise settles down and chips turn deep golden brown from both sides.
4.Remove the deep fried chips to a kitchen towel,sprinkle some salt and chilli powder and toss well. and . Store the sweet potato chips airtight.
Sweet Potato Chips Recipe
Sweet potato chips recipe | Sakkaravalli kizhangu chips recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Oil for deep frying
- Chilli powder
- Wash and scrub the skin of the sweet potatoes thoroughly OR wash an peel the skin.
- Heat oil until smoking point for deep frying. Once hot,slice the sweet potatoes directly over hot oil using a slicer or slice on a plate and slide inside the hot oil.
- Stir once or twice very gently to prevent pieces from sticking. Wait until the noise settles down and chips turn deep golden brown from both sides.
- Remove the deep fried chips to a kitchen towel,sprinkle some salt and chilli powder and toss well. and . Store the sweet potato chips airtight.
2. You can skip chilli powder ad add just salt too