To make schezwan fried rice recipe, you can use the usual vegetables that are used for making veg fried rice. I used carrots, baby corn, cabbage, sweet corn, beans, bell pepper etc. Speing onion whites are used instead of onions and spring onion greens are used for garnishing. You can make schezwan fried as spicy as you want. just use the required amount of sauce, even better if the sauce is made at home you can control the amount of chilies going in the making of sauce. Make sure the rice is non sticky and thoroughly cooled before adding to the vegetables.
I have given a detailed step by step recipe for making schezwan sauce at home. Click here for homemade schezwan sauce recipe, but below I have given a quick recipe for making sauce to use in this schezwan fried rice recipe
Quick schezwan sauce recipe:
The traditional schezwan cusine in from Sichuan region in China and it calls for a famous variety of chilli called Sichuan chilli. Here I have substituted normal chilli flakes in this sauce.
3 table spoons sesame oil
1/2 cup chilli flakes or 10- 12 red dried chillies soaked in warm water and ground
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoon fresh tomato puree
Salt to taste
Heat oil till smoking point and add all the ingredients one by one except lemon juice.Cook till oil is seeped well,remove from heat,add lemon juice and mix well.
Check here for one more version of homemade schezwan sauce
Schezwan fried rice recipe with step by step photos.
1. Cook rice with just enough water,and cool thoroughly. Add few drops of oil to the rice and spread on a wide plate.
2. Heat oil,add the onions and fry till golden brown.Add the vegetables and saute till they are cooked but still crunchy.
3.Add the sauce,salt and mix well.Next add the cooked rice,few drops of oil and close.Remove from heat.After five minutes mix the rice with vegetables gently.Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot.
Schezwan fried rice recipe card below:
schezwan fried rice recipe is a fiery hot and spicy indo chinese verg fried rice with homemade schezwan sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice.
- 1 cup finely chopped vegetables carrots,capsicums,cabbage etc
- 4 table spoons schezwan sauce
- 1/2 cup spring onion whites finely chopped
- 1/2 cup spring onion greens finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame or olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Cook rice with just enough water,and cool thoroughly. Add few drops of oil to the rice and spread on a wide plate.
- Heat oil,add the onions and fry till golden brown.Add the vegetables and saute till they are cooked but still crunchy.
- Add the sauce,salt and mix well.Next add the cooked rice,few drops of oil and close.Remove from heat.After five minutes mix the rice with vegetables gently.Garnish with spring onion greens and serve schezwan fried rice hot.
1. use sesame oil for authentic taste and flavor, else olive oil will be good. Refined oil is not recommended for this schezwan fried rice.
2. Make sure to saute the veggies in high flame briefly. The vegetables should retain their crunch.