Veg manchurian is one of the delicious and popular variety of manchurian recipes. With this recipe you will be able to make absolutely tasty and best Chinese manchurian at home with mixed vegetables.
How do you like some super crispy mixed veg dumplings tossed in a sticky spicy and sour Chinese sauce? That is mixed vegetable manchurian for you. So worth the time, better than takeouts, this homemade recipe is vegan, can be made gluten free easily.
What Is Vegetable Manchurian?
Vegetable manchurian or mixed veg manchurian is a popular variety of Indo chinese manchurian recipes. It is basically crispy veg dumplings tossed in the ever popular manchurian sauce.
Chinese vegetable manchurian recipe is a perfect side dish for fried rice. The term manchurian may refer to the people from Manchuria and their desi cuisine.
At first this dish was made with chicken and then adapted to suit the vegetarians. Indo Chinese cuisine was developed first by the Chinese in Kolkata and now it is immensely popular and favorite cuisine across the country.
Indo chinese recipes are an all time favorite at our home. I like to recreate the street style fried rice, noodles, manchurian, rolls, popular indo chinese recipes at home time to time.
This recipe of veg manchurian is tried and tested multiple times, yields one of the best crispy manchurian balls in a super flavorful sauce.
This is a real treat for Indo chinese food lovers. Do try this out and I am sure you will have super fun making this recipe at home.
This Veg Manchurian Is
So delicious and addictive
easy to make at home,
flavorful, better than takeouts
vegan and can be made gluten free easily
best paired with fried rice!
This indo chinese dish recipe may look complex at the first glance. I assure you, it is super simple recipe and you do not need any special ingredients or equipments.
Over the years, I have learnt from my mistakes and curated these tips to make best veg manchurian for you. Just follow these steps and try it out, it will turn out wonderful.
Tîps To Make Best Veg Manchurian
Preparing the vegetables– For this recipe you will need a truck load of veggies and they should be super finely chopped. If the vegetables are not finely diced, you will either not be able to shape the balls else they may break while frying.
So chop them finely. Check FAQ for more on chopping veggies for manchurian.
Making the veg manchurian dumplings- This the most tricky part of this recipe. We are mixing corn flour and plain flour to the chopped vegetables and shape into small balls.
The trick is to make sure there is no extra moisture in the veggie mixture.Do not add extra water in the vegetable mixture. The moisture in grated vegetables is enough to shape the balls
Flours are for binding, so that the dumplings hold the shape. Corn flour also makes manchurian balls super crispy.
Here if you add more flour than required, it will spoil the taste of the dumplings and they will turn hard on frying as well. On the other hand if you add less flour, the dumplings will not hold shape or will dissolve in oil while frying.
Frying the manchurian dumplings– Use a heavy pan with slight flat base for frying these dumplings. The oil should be hot but not smoking and maintain medium flame while frying.
Gently slide the shaped dumplings and fry until they are crispy and evenly browned. It is a good idea to slide in a shaped ball and check before adding a lot.
If the dumpling breaks, you can add 1-2 tablespoons more corn flour to the mixture, mix well and proceed.
What Is Manchurian sauce– To make this manchurian sauce or gravy you need a mix of sauces. All these sauces, along with vegetables like onion, celery. spring onion and bell peppers form the manchurian gravy. Here is a breakdown of sauces you will require
- soy sauce– you can use a mix of dark and light soy sauce for flavor and color. I always use either naturally fermented soy sauce or liquid aminos from bragg. For gluten free option you can use tamari. Liquid aminos provide a wonderful deep flavor and umami to Chinese recipes. You can even use iot along with or instead of soy sauce.
- Chilli sauce– Chilli sauce is used for flavor and spice. Instead of typical red chili sauce you can also red chilli flakes or any hot sauce like siracha.
- Ketchup- I like to add a dash of tomato ketchup for the flavor and slight sweet taste and also to balance spice levels, it is optional.
- Vinegar– Use rice, rice wine or apple cider. You can use lemon juice in a pinch.
- brown sugar or maple
- salt and pepper
What vegetables go in manchurian Balls?
Other than cabbage all the veggies are variable. Just use whatever you like or have handy. Here I have used cabbage, carrots, beans, onions, bell peppers. You can also use
- courgettes – grate and squeeze excess water thoroughly
- spring onion
Just make sure the veggies are thoroughly dried after mincing.
How To Chop Vegetables For Veg Manchurian?
For this recipe you will need super finely chopped vegetables. Easiest method is to use a food processor. A chopper or processor is super helpful especially if you want to make vegetable manchurian for parties in huge quantities.
If you are chopping with a knife, chop them super fine. You can even grate the vegetables like carrot and cabbge.
If you have mincing option you can do that too.
How To Make Veg Manchurian Gravy.
The recipe of vegetable manchurian I am sharing here is not very saucy. It has just enough gravy to coat and stick to the fried vegetable balls as we do not like them drenched in sauce.
If you want to make this dish more saucy, just add 2 cups water instead of the 1 cup I have mentioned in the recipe. This will yield you veg manchurian with gravy.
Can I Make Dry veg Manchurian?
Totally, just skip the corn flour slurry while making the sauce.
Toss the vegetable dumplings to the stir fry veggies and sauces.
This dry manchurian is a wonderful snack or starter in Indo chinese spread.
How To Make Gluten Free Vegetable Manchurian?
Soy sauce and plain flour maida are only two ingredients with this recipe.
Instead of soy sauce you can use gluten free tamari. Instead of maida just use chickpea flour. You can also use a mix of chickpea flour and rice flour.
This Chinese veg manchurian tastes best as starter or main course with veg fried rice.
This is also great to serve with vegetable noodles.
How To Make Veg Manchurian
Please follow the step by step recipe below for easy understanding.
Rinse and wipe the vegetables well without any water. To chop using a processor, peel the carrots and cut them into half. Halve or quarter the bell peppers and also cut cabbage into big pieces. Place everything in the processor bowl.
Process for few seconds and until the veggies are minced well. You can also chop them as finely as seen here using a knife
Next add the chopped veggies to a large bowl. In the meanwhile heat the oil for deep frying.
To the chopped veggies, add all purpose flour, corn flour, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes, 1/2 tsp salt, minced ginger garlic.
Mix very well and as you mix the veggies will leave out some moisture and incorporate that into the flours. Do not add any water.
Pinch out medium lemon sized balls from the mixture and shape into balls.
Slide about 4-5 manchurian balls into the hot oil.
Stir them very gently after few seconds and let them fry from all sides.
Once crispy and also golden brown, remove using a slotted spoon and keep aside.
Mix about 1 tablespoon corn starch in 1/2 cup cold water without any lumps. Set aside until use.
Now to make the manchurian gravy recipe heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan.
Add the minced ginger garlic or ginger garlic paste, red chilli flakes, chopped celery, chopped onions and capsicum, Saute it in high heat for a minute.
Add all the sauces- 2 tablespoons soy sauce 1 tablespoon red chilli sauce, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 2 teaspoons maple syrup or sugar, 1/2 tablespoon tomato ketchup, salt and black pepper.
Mix well and cook it for a minute.
Add the corn flour slurry and mix very well.
Add the 1 cup water and mix. Let the sauce bubble and thicken for a minute. Remove manchurian gravy from flame. Set aside the gravy for 2 minutes.
Now add the fried veg balls or vegetable manchurian balls. Toss it quickly.
Add the spring onion greens and sesame seeds.
Serve the veg manchurian immediately.
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this restaurant style veg manchurian recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Veg Manchurian Recipe
For veg balls
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons beans very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capsicum very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup spring onion whites finely chopped
- 3 tabespoons corn flour
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour maida
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep or shallow frying
For Manchurian Sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger-garlic OR ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 cup caspicum chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon red chili sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar rice or apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn starch mixed in 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup spring onion greens
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds optional,
For making veg balls
- Rinse and wipe the vegetables well without any moisture. If you are using a food processor, peel the carrots and cut them into half. Halve or quarter the bell peppers and cut cabbage into big pieces. Dump everything in the food processor bowl.
- Process for few seconds or until the veggies are minced well. If using a knife, chop them as finely as seen here.
- Add the chopped veggies to a large bowl. In the meanwhile heat oil for deep frying. Now to the chopped veggies, add all purpose flour, corn flour, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes, 1/2 tsp salt, minced ginger garlic.
- Mix very well, as you mix the veggies will leave out some moisture and incorporate that into the flours. Do not add water.
- Pinch medium lemon sized balls from the mixture and shape into balls.
- Slide 4-5 manchurian balls into the hot oil.
- Stir very gently after few seconds and let them fry from all sides.
- Once crispy and golden brown, remove using a slotted spoon and keep aside.
- Mix 1 tablespoon corn starch in 1/2 cup cold water without any lumps. Set aside.
For making manchurian sauce
- Now to make the manchurian gravy heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add minced ginger garlic or ginger garlic paste, red chilli flakes, chopped celery, chopped onions and capsicum, Saute in high heat for a minute.
- Add the sauces- 2 tablespoons soy sauce 1 tablespoon red chilli sauce, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 2 teaspoons maple syrup or sugar, 1/2 tablespoon tomato ketchup, salt and black pepper.
- Mix well and cook for a minute. Add the corn flour slurry and mix.
- Add 1 cup water and mix. Let the sauce bubble and thicken for a minute. Remove from flame. Set aside for 2 minutes.
- Add the fried vegetable manchurian balls. Toss quickly.
- Add spring onion greens and sesame seeds.
- Serve veg manchurian immediately.