Singapore fried rice is a delicious and spicy variety of fried rice from Indo chinese cuisine. While there is no such special recipe of fried rice pertaining to Singapore, this Singapore fried rice is popular among Indian street foods and takeaways. This is a spicier rice recipe that goes well for a quick lunch or dinner. You can make it as simple or elaborate as you like. Here is how to make vegetarian Singapore fried rice recipe!
I did not know about Singapore fried rice recipe until I tasted it, my friend said this is a very popular recipe in restaurants, but I have never seen one. I liked the taste and flavor of this rice very much and promptly noted the recipe too. Ever since I have been making this Singapore fried rice very often, I like to serve this rice with simple chili vinegar.
I make Singapore fried rice with minimum sauces and no taste enhancers. Copious amount of dried red chilies, fried until almost dark in sesame oil makes this Singapore fried rice very different from regular veg fried rice. A small splash of soy sauce deepens and rounds off the flavor.
If you have cooked rice handy you can make this Singapore fried rice with in 15 minutes. All you need to do is saute veggies with sauces and red chilies in high flame, add cooked rice and toss. Tastes wonderful especially if you love spicy foods.
This Singapore Fried Rice Recipe Is
Easy, quick & simple recipe
Better than restaurants & takeaways
Vegan & gluten free
Hearty dinner in no time
Flavorful & delicious
To make Singapore fried rice recipe, two most important ingredients are dried red chilies and sesame oil. If you cannot get sesame oil, you can use olive or gingely oil. Do not use regular refined oil in this recipe.
You can use the same veggies like carrot, cabbage, beans etc that we use for veg fried rice in this Singapore fried rice recipe too.
Traditionally sauces like peri peri sauce, sriracha sauce are used in this recipe for spice. Here I have used a good amount of red chilies and just a dash of soy sauce. I like to limit store bought sauces. Some times I also add homemade chili garlic sauce in this recipe.
Red chilies sauteed in sesame oil until smoky adds a wonderful spicy tone to this fried rice. While you can reduce the amount of red chilies as per taste, I suggest you keep them if you can handle spicy food.
Some Tips For Making The Recipe
There are some prep work to be done for this Singapore fried rice recipe. First make sure to cook the rice in such way the grains are separate.
You have to cook the rice al dente. It means the rice is well cooked yet not mushy. Do not under cook the rice as it will cause digestive problems.
The rice should be cooled thoroughly before adding the sauteed vegetables. If the rice is hot, the grains will break while tossing the veggies.
Leftover rice will be too good for this recipe. Next make sure to chop the vegetables thin and of uniform size. The vegetables should be sauteed for a brief time in high flame, so uniform chopping helps.
How To Make Singapore Fried Rice
1. Cook rice such that the grains are separate. Cool thoroughly.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons sesame oil in wok or kadai. Once the oil reaches smoking point, add the dried red chilies and keep the flame in medium. Saute the chilies very well until they turn dark.
3. Add minced garlic and chopped onions. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the chopped vegetables and saute in high flame for 4-5 minutes.
5. Add soy sauce, vinegar, pepper powder and salt. Mix well and saute for another 3-4 minutes.
6. The vegetables should be only 70% cooked and crunchy.
7. Add cooled rice and toss quickly. Remove from flame.
8. Serve Singapore fried rice hot.
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Singapore Fried Rice Recipe
Singapore fried rice recipe (veg)
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 1 cup cooked and cooled rice
- 1.5 cup chopped vegetables carrot, cabbage, beans, bell peppers, babycorn, spring onion whites
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 6-7 dried red chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons sesame or olive oil
- Cook rice such that the grains are separate. Cool thoroughly.
- Heat 2 tablespoons sesame oil in wok or kadai. Once the oil reaches smoking point, add the dried red chilies and keep the flame in medium. Saute the chilies very well until they turn dark.
- Add minced garlic and chopped onions. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped vegetables and saute in high flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, pepper powder and salt. Mix well and saute for another 3-4 minutes.
- The vegetables should be only 70% cooked and crunchy.
- Add cooled rice and toss quickly. Remove from flame and serve singapore fried rice hot.
2. You can use basmati or regular rice for this recipe
3. Use sesame or gingely or olive oil