Vegetable tahiri is a delicious, comforting and easy to make rice recipe from Uttar Pradesh cuisine also known Awadhi cuisine. Loaded with vegetables and few spice powders, this tehri is one of the most common and popular one pot meals.
It is super easy to make, just dump everything to a pot or pressure cooker and dinner ready in 30 minutes! Vegetarian and gluten free!
For more one pot meals please check ghee rice, dal dhokli, palak pulao, veg pulao, coconut milk pulao recipes.
What is your goto meal when you are super busy yet you need a proper home cooked dinner? Mine is for sure a variety rice recipe with rice and veggies.
If I have leftover rice I use it and make masala rice or veg fried rice. If I need to make something from scratch I often resort to this veg tehiri or veg pulao or sambar rice.
Mixed vegetable tahiri is, an easy to make yet very delicious, filling and comforting one pot rice dish made with loads of vegetables.
Tahiri is similar to pulao, made with whole spices or spice powders, vegetables but the dum cooking method and addition of fried onions for garnishing makes this tahiri as rich and tasty as biryani.
So I would say tahiri is a cross between pulao and biryani. It is as easy to make as veg pulao but as rich as biryani, at least that is how I perceived this 🙂
This is also my goto dish when I want to make something special yet quick and simple. Addition of yogurt, mint leaves, spice powders like coriander powder make this veg tehri delicious and special.
To make veg tahiri recipe as shared here, you can use the set of veggies that go into the making of pulao or biryani like potatoes, cauliflower, peas and carrot. I have used the above mentioned vegetables along with few baby corns in this tahiri recipe.
If you do not have all the vegetables handy, just use what you have. This dish tastes great with just potatoes and cauliflower too.
Do not miss fried onions as they add a very nice crunch and flavor to the tahiri. Soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes to get fluffy, non sticky and long rice grains that make tahiri visually appealing too.
Serve tahiri with any raita or chips, I served it with a very flavorful tomato raita that learned for a chef who made it in our family function.
Do try this flavor packed, tasty and healthy veg tehri rice recipe and tell me how it turned out for you!
This Veg Tehri Is
Easy one pot meal ready in 30 minutes
Delicious, loaded with vegetables
Perfect for weeknight dinners
doesn’t need an elaborate side, a simple raita would do
vegetarian and gluten free
can be easily made vegan.
Tips To Make Best Tahiri
Perfect tehiri has non sticky rice with grains separate and fluffy. To achieve this first off all make sure to rinse the raw rice until the starch clears off. Next soak the rice in plenty of water for 30- 40 minutes. This holds good for any variety rice recipe.
Next the ratio of water to rice is super crucial. For 1 cup basmati rice use 2.5 cups of water. If the rice is very ages use 3 cups.
For this recipe you can use a mix of three or more vegetables. I usually use potatoes, cauliflowers, carrot, green peas, baby corn, beans etc. You can use whatever of these vegetables you have handy.
To make tahiri recipe vegan, just skip curd and add 1 finely chopped tomato after sauteing onions. You can also ad cashew curd.
If you are looking for more easy rice recipes do check potato biryani, easy veg pulao, cauliflower pulao!
Tahiri Recipe With Step By Step Photos.
1. wash, rinse and soak the basmati rice in water for 1-2 hours. In the meantime heat oil for frying onions. Deep fry the 3/4 cup finely chopped onions until golden brown. Drain and set it aside.
2. Heat a pan with 3 tablespoons oil. Add whole spices like cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon sticks and saute well till the aroma wafts out.
3. Add the slit green chilies and minced ginger-garlic. Saute them well till the raw smell of ginger garlic leaves.
4. Add the finely chopped onions and saute well till the onions slightly change color.
5. Add the cubed vegetables and mix well. Saute very well for few minutes.
6. Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder and chili powder. Mix very well and saute well. Add chopped cilantro and mint leaves. Saute well to combine.
7. Add the whisked curd and mix well. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
8. Add the drained rice and mix well.
9. Add 3 cups water and required salt to taste. Mix very well.
10. Close the lid and place a heavy object like mortar and pestle on top of it.
11. Cook in low flame for around 20-25 minutes. Once done, fluff the rice up with fork garnish with fried onions.
Serve vegetable tahiri hot.
Tahiri recipe, vegetable tahiri recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 carrot
- 1 potato chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onions for fried onions
- 2 green chilies slit
- 2 teaspoon minced ginger-garlic
- 1/4 cup whisked curd
- 1/4 cup chopped mint and cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 green cardamoms
- 6-7 black peppercorns crushed
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- wash, rinse and soak basmati rice in water for 1-2 hours. In the mean time heat oil for frying onions. Deep fry 3/4 cup finely chopped onions until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan with 3 tablespoons oil. Add the whole spices and saute well till the aroma wafts out.
- Add slit green chilies and minced ginger-garlic. Saute well till the raw smell of ginger garlic leaves.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute well till the onions slightly change color.
- Add cubed vegetables and mix well. Saute well for few minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and chili powder. Mix well and saute well. Add chopped cilantro an mint leaves. Saute well.
- Add whisked curd and mix well. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add drained rice and mix well.
- Add 3 cups water and required salt. Mix well.
- Close the lid and place a heavy object like mortar and pestle on top.
- Cook in low flame for 20-25 minutes. Once done, fluff the rice with fork garnish with fried onions and serve tahiri hot.
- Adjust spice powder as per taste.
- Instead of whole spices you can add 1 teaspoon garam masala along with chili powder, but the flavor will vary.
- Cook in a heavy pot and in low flame to avoid burning the tahiri at the bottom. If your pot is not heavy, you can place it on a tava and cook.
Rahul sharma says
This is a new one to me. looks nice.