Thai carrot salad is a easy and filling salad recipe that you can put together as side dish for any Asian meal.
Ready in 15 minutes, no cook, vegan salad with amazing flavor and crunch. If you are fan of Asian flavors, you are going to love this easy salad recipe.
Thai food 🙂 Again:). Today I have a super easy salad recipe for you. If you like the classic Thai salad tom sam but no green papaya around, this Thai carrot salad is the closest one for you.
I just love tom sam or the classic Thai papaya salad but with no unripe papaya in sight (I have tried hard 🙁 ), I am making do with this version.
Now when I say, making do it does not mean there is a compromise in taste or flavor. I never cook that way 🙂
I love my salads to be fresh, with some crunch and a dressing that is flavorful but not overpowering the fresh produce. This carrot salad has it all.
It has that delicious crunch from carrots and cabbage. There are some sweet corns, bell peppers for the color pop. The dressing is unmistakably Thai and everything is topped with loads of crushed roasted peanuts. Sold ?
You should totally try this recipe to know how good it is 🙂
This Thai Carrot Salad Is
Easy, quick and simple to make
Packed with crunchy vegetables
tossed in yet flavorful dressing
Vegan, easy to make it gluten free
Sweet, sour and spicy
wholesome and healthy.
To make this salad you will need very few ingredients apart from fresh vegetables. The vegetables used in this salad can be easily swapped with whatever you prefer.
Just keep the carrots as base and make this salad your own.
Here I have used shredded cabbage, finely chopped capsicums, fresh chopped cilantro leaves.
For dressing ingredients I have used a mix of soy sauce, minced ginger garlic, brown sugar, vinegar, a dash of lime juice, pound black peppercorns and salt. This dressing is a flavor burst and very delicious yet mild one.
I like this salad to be fairy dry, so I have used very less dressing here. Feel free to increase the quantity of dressing ingredients as per taste.
If you prefer a spicy salad you can add 1/2 tablespoon hot sauce or siracha to the dressing.
The star of this salad is roasted peanuts. They taste so good and crunchy. Keep the roasted crushed peanuts separately and add just before serving, You can also keep an extra bowl of roasted peanuts and add as required.
Variations With The Recipe
Along with carrots you can add shredded beets or zucchini in this salad.
To make it healthier you can add greens like chopped kale, bok choy greens or even baby spinach
To make this salad gluten free use tamari or liquid aminos instead of soy sauce.
Step By Step Method
Rinse and peel the carrots. You can now either shred the carrots or chop them into sticks using a julienne slicer. Also rinse and shred the cabbage.
Into a large bowl, place the shredded cabbage, chopped carrot along with sliced red onion and finely chopped capsicum.
Into a small bowl combine soy sauce, brown sugar, salt, minced ginger, crushed garlic cloves, vinegar and lime juice. Mix well.
Toss the dressing into the vegetables. Now you can also add some red pepper flakes for spice of you prefer.
Toss well, add chopped cilantro leaves and roasted peanuts.
Mix very well. Serve Thai style carrot salad immediately.
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try carrot salad thai style recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Thai Carrot Salad
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 2 carrots about 2 cups shredded
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- 1/2 cup red onions finely sliced
- 1/2 cup peppers finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts crushed coarsely
For the Thai dressing
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce use tamari for gluten free variation
- 1 inch ginger peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar can sub with extra lime juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar Or palm sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt to taste
- Rinse the carrots and peel them. You can ether shred the carrots or chop them into sticks using a julienne slicer. Also rinse well and shred the cabbage.
- Into a large bowl or salad bowl, place the shredded cabbage, chopped carrot along with sliced red onion and finely chopped capsicum.
- Into a small bowl or combine measured oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, salt, minced ginger, crushed garlic cloves, vinegar and lime juice. Mix well with a fork to emulsify a bit
- Toss the prepared dressing into the vegetables. Now you can also add some red pepper flakes for extra spice of you prefer.
- Toss the salad well, add chopped cilantro leaves and roasted peanuts.
- Mix very well again. Serve the Thai style carrot salad immediately.
- If you want to make this salad oil free, just skip sesame oil in the dressing.
- You can also use light olive oil instead of sesame oil.
- The recipe can be doubled