Last updated on July 11th, 2019
Carrot halwa recipe- Gajar ka halwa or gajerla is one of the classic Indian sweets. This sweet pudding or dessert is made with juicy sweet red carrots also known as Delhi carrots, sugar and milk . Try out this best carrot halwa recipe from my mom and indulge!
Here I am sharing the traditional carrot halwa recipe with video and detailed step wise photos. Gajar ka halwa is the popular sweet in North India especially during winters. You can however make this sweet with any type of carrot. Though I have used Delhi carrots here, carrot halwa in Tamil nadu is mostly made with regular orange carrots only.
This popular Indian sweet is a crowd favorite and made for festivals and parties. A good gajar ka halwa is always welcome in any celebration especially in weddings. Making carrot halwa is easy and I make it quite often. If Delhi carrots are not available I use organic regular carrots to make this halwa. I usually find organic carrots to be more tender and juicy so I use them.
This Carrot Halwa Recipe
Best dessert after an Indian meal
Easy and simple recipe
Economical to make at home
Rich flavorful and delicious
Fool proof beginner friendly recipe
To make this recipe you can grate the carrots manually or use a shredder blade in food processor. Here as I have used just 2 cups of grated carrots, I grated them manually. While making in large scale it is better to have some help or use a machine 🙂
How To Make Carrot Halwa
1. First of all wash, peel and grate the carrots. You can do it manually or with a food processor.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons ghee in a thick bottomed pan or pressure cooker base. Fry the chopped nuts until they turn golden. remove to a plate.
3. Add raisins and fry till they plump up. Remove to a plate. Let the ghee remain in the pan.
4. Add the grated carrots and saute for 2 minutes.
5. Add whole milk and mix well. Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes. In this step you can pressure cook the carrots for 8-9 whistles. In the mean time powder 1/2 cup sugar with 4 cardamom pods.
6. Once the carrots are well cooked and most of the milk is evaporated. Add the powdered sugar and mix well. Stir and cook for 5-6 minutes.
7. Add the remaining ghee and mix well. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until the moisture evaporates and halwa turns thick.
8. Finally add the fried nuts and raisins. Mix well.
9. Serve carrot halwa hot as such or with vanilla ice cream.
Variations With Gajar Halwa Recipe:
The traditional method of making carrot halwa is with just 4 main ingredients. Grated carrots, whole milk, ghee and sugar. The grated carrots are cooked in milk with sugar and ghee, as a result we get rich and gooey halwa that is as delicious as it looks. Finally the halwa is garnished with generous amount of ghee fried nuts like cashews and almonds.
If you want to make carrot halwa quickly you can use sweetened condensed milk instead of regular milk. You can also make this halwa in pressure cooker to save time. Please see below for some variations.
To make carraot halwa in microwave, first of all combine grated carrots and milk in a MW safe bowl. MW for 7 minutes in high. Next add ghee, milk powder, ghee and MW for 5 minutes. Next add sugar and MW for 5 more minutes. Add dry fruits and mix well. Serve
In Pressure Cooker
To make gajar halwa in pressure cooker combine 2 teaspoons ghee, grated carrots, milk and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Once the pressure releases, add sugar, remaining ghee and mix well. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Add nuts and mix well. Cook for 3-4 more minutes and remove from flame.
With Condensed milk
For making carrot halwa with condensed milk use 1 cup condensed milk for 2 cups carrot. Add 1/2 cup or 3.4 cup and reduce the sugar as per taste.
Carrot Halwa With Khoya
You can make carrot halwa more rich by adding khoya or milk solids. Follow the recipe as such and add khoya after adding sugar. You can check this beetroot halwa recipe for detailed procedure.
Tips For Making Best Gajar Halwa
- If the carrots you are using are not very tender then increase the amount of milk by half cup for the same measure of carrot.
- Delhi carrots are sweeter. So if using regular carrots you may want to increase the sugar by 3-4 tablespoons.
- You can add 3-4 tablespoons unsweetened khoya or mawa in carrot halwa. This will add a rich texture and balance the sweetness if needed.
- To reduce the calories in carrot halwa, use low fat milk and reduce the amount if ghee by 3-4 tablespoons
- To make vegan carrot halwa you can use almond milk in place of regular dairy milk. You can use cold pressed coconut oil instead of ghee.
- To make this halwa in 30 minutes use a pressure cooker. After adding milk just pressure cook for 8-9 whistles. Once the pressure settles down open and proceed with the recipe.
- Use a thick bottomed pan or kadai in this recipe because the halwa may get burnt if the pan is not sturdy. I usually use a thick pressure cooker base. You can also non stick pan.
- Carrot halwa tastes best when served hot. You can serve hot carrot halwa with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This combination is wonderful and you will love it.
- Store gajar ka halwa in fridge. It keeps well for a week. Furthermore you can freeze the halwa for a month. You can slightly warm the halwa with one teaspoon ghee before serving.
If you’ve tried this carrot halwa or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and recipes.
Carrot Halwa Recipe
Carrot Halwa Recipe | Gajar Ka Halwa Recipe
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1.75 cups whole milk boiled
- 1/2 cup sugar powdered with 3 cardamoms
- 6 tablespoons ghee
- 4 tablespoons broken mixed nuts almonds and pistachios
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- Wash, peel and grate the carrots. You can do it manually or with a food processor.
- Heat 3 tablespoons ghee in a thick bottomed pan or pressure cooker base. Fry the chopped nuts until they turn golden. remove to a plate.
- Add raisins and fry till they plump up. Remove to a plate. Let the ghee remain in the pan.
- Add the grated carrots and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add whole milk and mix well. Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes. In this step you can pressure cook the carrots for 8-9 whistles. In the mean time powder 1/2 cup sugar with 4 cardamom pods.
- Once the carrots are well cooked and most of the milk is evaporated.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix well. Stir and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the remaining ghee and mix well. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until the moisture evaporates and halwa turns thick.
- Add the fried nuts and raisins. Mix well. Serve carrot halwa hot as such or with vanilla ice cream.