This vegan thai green curry takes 30 minutes from start to finish, made from scratch and tastes absolutely delicious. With this recipe you can jut satisfy your thai cravings at home in no time. Best part is you can make the paste ahead and get your green curry fixing in 15 minutes 🙂 Excited? Read on!
Thai curries be it red, green or yellow is a treat to all the curry lovers around the world. Some of us vegetarians may have to refrain from restaurants or takeaways due to the concern of shrimp paste or fish sauce in thai green curry.
But that does not mean we go thai curry deprived, with my recipe here you can make the best ever thai green curry at home that too in 30 minutes, from scratch that is homemade curry paste, all vegan, flavorful and yummy 🙂
I have been getting requests for thai curries from many readers. While I make green curry or red curry very often mostly it is for dinner. So I was not able to get good pictures for the blog 🙂 Anyways I made this for lunch yesterday and here you go with the recipe. This is seriously good and you can’t miss this.
This thai green curry is wonderful in every aspect. It has a truckload of veggies and all the real ingredients used in traditional thai curries. Believe me using using homemade curry paste makes all the difference
Thai Green Curry Recipe
100% vegan with no shrimp paste or fish sauce.
Made from scratch, includes curry paste recipe
Chockablock of veggies
Spicy, flavorful and yummy just like a good Thai curry
Goes best with rice or flatbread
Making thai green curry is a passionate affair for me. Though it is a very simple and quick recipe, I never rush through the process. In fact I don’t rush through any recipe.
I first of all begin sourcing the ingredients for the curry paste. I usually make a small jar or green curry or red curry paste that sees me through 3-4 batches of curry.
Homemade Thai Green Curry Paste
If you want best Thai curry experience, I highly recommend making your own curry paste. It is no secret that homemade spice pastes are more potent, flavorful, tasty and a small amount goes long way. Here is my go to green curry paste recipe.
Blend the ingredients mentioned below into a fine paste
- 6 birds eye chili- use ripe red chilies or green chilies as substitute
- 1/2 inch galangal- use ginger if galangal is not available
- 4 shallots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 4 kaffir lime leaves – use zest of a lime if leaves are not available
- 4 basil leaves- regular thai
- 2 tablespoons chopped lemon grass
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon white peppercorns- use 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns as substitute.
There you have the best ever green curry paste that too homemade. This will make a small bottle full and will last you for 3-4 batches of curry.
As an alternate you can use the thai curry kit available in specialty stores. It has the curry paste ingredients measured out and you will have to simply puree it.
If making curry paste at home is not an option, use any fine quality store bought paste. Usually the store bought ones are not as fresh or spicy as homemade ones. So you may have to spice the curry with some ginger garlic paste or ground chilies.
Now that our curry paste is ready, let us get into the making of green curry shall we?
Making Vegan Thai Green Curry
The most important ingredient for any thai curry is coconut milk. Fresh, thick and flavorful coconut milk. I like to use homemade coconut milk for this recipe. If you are using tinned ones, make sure it is fresh and not rancid even slightly. If the tinned milk is very thick, you can add few spoons of water to it.
Next instead of fish sauce, we use an equally pungent soy sauce here. I use dark soy sauce for this recipe.
As far as veggies, you can potatoes, carrots, baby corn, tiny eggplants halved, snow peas, green peas.
With green curry paste, coconut milk and veggies ready, making thai green curry is a breeze and worthwhile experience.
I served thai green curry with a thai herb rice that I adapted from Tarla Dala’s thai cooking. It was a yummy and comforting lunch.
Step by Step Pictures For Thai Green Curry
Take all the ingredients mentioned for green curry paste in a mixer jar.
2. Grind it to a smooth paste. Just add enough water to ease the grinding.
3. Next wash, peel if needed and cube the vegetables. Steam or pressure cook the vegetables until tender. Set aside.
4. Grate and extract thick milk from coconut. We need about 1 1/4 cup coconut milk for this recipe.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a thick pan. Add the steamed veggies and saute for few seconds.
5. Add the green curry paste and saute very well.
6. Add soy sauce and, required salt and mix well.
7. Add coconut milk and mi well. Simmer or cook in medium flame for 5-10 minutes. Do not let the coconut milk boil.
Finally add few basil leaves and lemon leaves. Mix well and remove from flame.
Serve thai green curry hot with rice.
Tips For Best Green Thai Curry
Along with veggies you can add few tofu cubes
If lime leaves are not available just use zest of one small lime
Use fresh and tender veggies for best taste
You can store the curry paste for 10 days in refrigerator.
More Curry Recipes
I hope you will try this easy vegan thai green curry recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Vegan Thai Green Curry Recipe
- 1/2 cup Green curry paste
- 2 cups cubed vegetables I used potato, aubergine, baby corn, carrot, beans, capsicum and peas
- 1 1/4 cup thick coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Few thai basil or regular basil leaves
- Lemon leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves along with roots
- 4 lemon leaves
- 4 basil leaves
- 6 thai red chilies
- 2 tablespoons chopped lemon grass
- 1 galangal or tender ginger
- 2 teaspoons coriander seed powder
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 shallots or pearl onions
- 12 black peppercorns
- Take all the ingredients mentioned for green curry paste in a mixer jar. Grind it to a smooth paste. Just add enough water to ease the grinding.
- Next wash, peel if needed and cube the vegetables. Steam or pressure cook the vegetables until tender. Set aside.
- Grate and extract thick milk from coconut. We need about 1 1/4 cup coconut milk for this recipe.
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a thick pan. Add the steamed veggies and saute for few seconds.
- Add the green curry paste and saute very well.
- Add soy sauce and, required salt and mix well.
Add coconut milk and mix well. Simmer or cook in medium flame for 5-10 minutes. Do not let the coconut milk boil.
- Finally add few basil leaves and lemon leaves. Mix well and remove from flame. Serve thai green curry hot with rice.
Tips For Making The Recipe
- You may use lemon grass powder instead of fresh one
Do not let the curry vigorously boil after adding the coconut milk. Gently simmer the curry
- Thai green curry is usaully served with rice.
- You can also serve with flatbread