Vegetarian Thai red curry recipe– the only thai red curry recipe you will ever need to get your curry fix at home 🙂 Yes, this is a wonderful easy recipe that is high on flavor yet super simple to make. Put together a good dinner on table in less than 30 minutes with this easy thai red curry that is vegan and gluten free!
Thai Red Curry- Perfect Comforting Dinner!
Who does not love a well made curry for a comforting dinner after a tiring day? While there is no dearth of delicious curries in Indian cuisine like paneer butter masala, chole, palak paneer, aloo paneer, once in a while it is good to get the taste of other cuisines too. I have always liked thai food, both vegetarian thai red curry, yellow curry, panag curry and green curry are my favorites.
Making a good thai curry at home is really easy once you have the proper ingredients. I like to make few substitutions but if you can get your hands on all the required ingredients then nothing like that.
Last week I found all the ingredients for thai red curry paste and immediately grabbed them 🙂 Making a good thai red curry at home is very very easy once you have the ingredients handy. Just make the curry paste, saute with steamed veggies and simmer in coconut milk! Such a warm, comforting and delicious meal it was with steamed rice.
This Vegetarian Thai Red Curry Is
100% homemade, includes recipe for Thai red curry paste
Completely vegan & gluten free
Absolutely delicious and flavorful
Easy comforting curry for dinner in less than 30 minutes
Addictive and you cannot get enough of it 🙂
How Is Thai Red Curry Made?
Thai curries are one of the most popular curry varieties across the globe and there are many types in thai curries. Thai red curry recipe, Thai yellow curry and Thai green curry.
These curries are hugely popular in restaurants but the problem with vegetarians is that the thai green curry or thai red curry has shrimp paste and fish sauce in it.
So if you are a very strict vegetarian eating a good Thai red curry just with veggies from a restaurant is also ruled out and here comes homemade veg Thai red curry.
You can easily make Thai red curry paste using birds eye chilies, lemon grass stalks, kafir lime leaves and basil leaves. These are special ingredients you need to make veg Thai red curry.
The other ingredients are very simple kitchen staples like coriander seeds, garlic, cumin seeds, coconut.
Which Veggies Go Well In Vegetarian Thai Red Curry?
To make vegetarian Thai red curry recipe, I have used potatoes, carrots, baby corn and beans. You can even use small eggplants. Just steam or boil the veggies briefly before adding the curry paste. Also do not chop the vegetables very finely.
The preparation of thai red curry is same as thai green curry. Just some slight variations in curry paste. Make sure you use thick and fresh coconut milk as coconut milk in thai red curry is vital.
How To Serve Veg Thai Red Curry
This curry goes very well with a aromatic steamed rice like jasmine rice or basmati rice. While Thai curries are served with rice, this one also tastes equally good with naan, paratha etc.
Preparation For Veg Thai Red Curry
Making Thai red curry paste.
1. take all the ingredients mentioned under “for thai red curry paste in a blender jar. Grind to a paste with required water.
Prepping The Veggies
Rinse, peel and chop the veggies into cubes or batons. Steam or boil them for just 7-8 minutes. Set aside.
Making Coconut Milk
Extract thick and thin coconut milk from 1 big coconut. You will need 1 cup thin coconut milk and 1 cup thick coconut milk. Here is how to make coconut milk at home. You can also use tinned coconut milk.
How To Make Vegetarian Thai Red Curry
1. heat a pan with 3 teaspoons coconut or sesame oil. Once the oil is hot add chopped onions and saute for 2 minutes. Add the curry paste and cook till raw smell leaves.
2. add the boiled or steamed vegetables and coat well with curry paste.
3. Add 1/2 cup water, thin coconut milk and season with salt. Bring to a full boil.
5. Add coconut milk and simmer. Simmer for 5-7 minutes. Do not let the thick coconut milk to boil.
6. crush few basil leaves with palm and add to the simmering thai red curry.
7. Remove from flame and mix well. Serve thai veg red curry with steamed rice.
More Curry Recipes
I hope you will try this veg thai red curry recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Vegetarian Thai Red Curry Recipe
thai red curry recipe vegetarian | how to make veg thai red curry recipe
- 1 1/2 cups cubed and boiled vegetables potato, beans, carrots, baby corns
- 3-4 shallots chopped
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- few basil leaves
- 3 teaspoons coconut or sesame oil
- For thai red curry paste
- 2-3 thai bird's eye chilies
- 3 lemon grass stalks
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves
- 3-4 dried kashmiri red chilies for color
- 5-6 thai basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- A small piece of galangal or very tender ginger
- 3 tablespoons grated coconut or coconut milk
- take all the ingredients mentioned under "for thai red curry paste" and grind to a paste with required water.
- heat a pan with 3 teaspoons coconut or sesame oil. Once the oil is hot add chopped onions and saute for minutes. Add the curry paste and cook till raw smell leaves.
- add the boiled or steamed vegetables and coat well with curry paste.
- Add 1/2 cup water and season with salt. Bring to a full boil.
- Add coconut milk and simmer. Simmer for 5-7 minutes. Do not let the coconut milk to boil.
- crush few basil leaves with palm and add to the simmering thai red curry. Remove from flame and mix well. Serve thai veg red curry with steamed rice.
2. Use veggies of your choice