Carrot rice recipe is a delicious, quick & nutritious rice recipe that you can fix for lunch box or quick dinner. With just grated carrots, rice an handful of other ingredients you can make this rice in 15 minutes! Carrot rice tastes so good both warm or at room temperature and a meal in itself. I usually make this rice with leftover rice and also just like pulao in pressure cooker. Sharing both the recipes here. Here is how to make vegan, gluten free best carrot rice recipe.
Quick vegetable rice recipes like potato rice, this carrot rice, okra rice, capsicum rice, palak rice, gobi rice, paneer pulao are our favorite healthy lunchbox choices. My kid prefers such variety rice recipes over regular sambar or curd rice and it is also easy for me to make.
This carrot rice recipe is one such keeper lunch box recipe that I make very frequently. I make this rice in many ways. Some days I just mix carrot curry with rice, add some ghee and mix. One more method is making one pot carrot rice similar to pulao. The other one is this recipe, easy carrot rice with cooked rice or leftover rice.
Cooked and cooled rice works best for this recipe. For my kid’s lunchbox I usually cook the rice two hours before I pack the lunchbox.
Making carrot rice is very easy and takes less than 15 minutes. I prefer to grate the carrots as they cook fast and also easy for the kid to eat. The main attraction of this carrot rice is cashews. My mom always adds cashews in this rice, pepper rice, lemon rice, coconut rice, cilantro rice and so do I.
Once you have grated carrots ready you can make this rice in 15 minutes with both raw rice and cooked rice. I have given the instructions for making one pot carrot rice below.
This Carrot Rice Recipe Is
Easy, quick and simple to make
Takes within 15 mins from start to finish
Delicious, flavorful & healthy
Mildly spiced, minimum spices and good for kids
Vegan and gluten free
Best variety rice for kids lunchbox.
To make carrot rice I usually do not use any whole spice or spice powders like garam masala, pav bhaji or coriander powder. It is a very mildly spiced rice where the flavor of turmeric powder, green chilies and coriander leaves shines through.
If you or your kid is fond of the flavor of garam masala, chole masala or pav bhaji masala you can add 1/2 teaspoon along with turmeric powder. For a different taste you can even sambar powder or pepper powder.
Next I don’t usually make this rice with basmati rice. The beauty of such rice recipes is their convenience. So I just mix up the rice we commonly make with the sauteed carrot. Soaking basmati rice and cooking it carefully will take more time definitely.
How To Make Carrot Rice
Preparation for carrot rice
1. cook, cool and spread the rice on a plate. You can also drizzle few drops of sesame oil. This will help in making the grains separate.
2. Rinse, peel and grate the carrots. Chop onions and slit the green chilies. Also chop cilantro leaves finely.
Making Carrot Rice Recipe
1. Heat a pan 1 tablespoon oil or ghee.
2. Temper with 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal. Add curry leaves, cashews, peanuts and saute till golden. Next add minced ginger and saute well.
3. Next add chopped onions and saute well for 2-3 minutes.
4. Now add grated carrots and mix well.
5. Season with salt and turmeric powder.
6. Saute and cook for 3-4 minutes or until carrots or well cooked.
7. Add cooked and cooled rice, a teaspoon of oil or ghee. Cover the pan and switch off the flame.
8. After 5 minutes, mix gently and serve or pack carrot rice in lunchbox.
How To Make One Pot Carrot Rice In Cooker
Pick and rinse 1 cup raw rice. You can use regular or basmati rice.
Heat a pressure cooker base with oil.
Follow the recipe above and make till step 6.
Now add the raw rice and around 2.5 cups water.
Cover the cooker and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
Once the pressure is settled open the cooker and fluff up gently.
One pot carrot rice in cooker ready to serve.
Variations With Carrot Rice Recipe
- Along with carrots you can add boiled corn, green peas or finely chopped beans.
- For a slightly mushy textured rice you can even add a hopped tomatoes.
- You can skip onions if preferred.
- Adding ghee improves the flavor but you can also add oil.
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Carrot Rice Recipe
Carrot Rice Recipe
- 2 cups cooked rice OR 1 cup raw rice
- 1 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 green chilies slit
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon peanuts
- 6 cashews broken
- 12 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- Heat a pan 1 tablespoon oil or ghee.
- Temper with 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal. Add curry leaves, cashews, peanuts and saute till golden. Next add minced ginger and saute well.
- Next add chopped onions and saute well for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add grated carrots and mix well.
- Season with salt and turmeric powder.
- Saute and cook for 3-4 minutes or until carrots or well cooked.
- Add cooked and cooled rice, a teaspoon of oil or ghee. Cover the pan and switch off the flame.
- After 5 minutes, mix gently and serve or pack carrot rice in lunchbox.
- Grated carrots cook faster and are easier for kids to eat. You can also chop them finely if you wish.
- Use sesame oil or peanut oil in this recipe as the flavor goes well this rice more than olive oil.
- If not vegan I recommend ghee for this rice while making for kids. I usually add ghee for my kid.
- You can double the rice or halve it.