Eggless tutti frutti cake is a delicious cake popular in Indian bakeries. Making this soft and fluffy cake at home is super easy. You need very few simple ingredients and this cakes gets ready in under an hour.
This is a coffee cake which means you serve it warm or at room temperature as thick hearty slices, no frosting required 🙂 I bake this soft, moist and delicious eggless tutti frutti cake for our evening snacks or for my kid’s snack box.
This best tutti frutti cake is a very light, soft and moist oil based cake that keeps well for 3-4 days in refrigerator. Unlike butter cakes it does not go hard on refrigerating. Colorful and crunchy tutti frutti adds a wonderful contrast in texture to this soft cake. It tastes somewhat similar to fruit cake but much easy to make. You can even add candied fruits along with tutti frutti.
About This Recipe
Tutti frutti cake recipe is a popular variety of cake found in Indian bakeries. This cake is very soft, moist and feather light with colorful tutti frutti studded all over.
You can easily make this childhood favorite cake at home with very simple ingredients. Serve warm with a hot cup of chai or coffee for wonderful snack time. In this post you will learn to make tutii frutti cake recipe with step wise photos here.
Traditionally tutti frutti cake is made with eggs just like plain cake in Indian bakeries. Here this eggless tutti frutti cake recipe is made with curd and oil as main ingredients.
This cake turns out very soft and moist due to the addition of oil. Adding colorful tutti frutti makes this cake very colorful and attractive for kids.
Making eggless tutti frutti cake is easy and even beginners can try with success. No complex techniques or equipment are needed for this cake.
Serve tutti frutti cake warm with coffee for best taste. You can store the cake in fridge for 2-3 days. Keep it well covered.
Making Tutti Frutti Cake Recipe:
To make tutti frutti cake I have used my basic vanilla cake recipe. This vanilla cake recipe is my keeper recipe that I have been baking for years. It does not much oil or baking soda yet the cake comes out so soft and crumb hold well for clean slices.
I just added a good measure of tutti frutti to the cake batter for making tutti frutti cake. If you don’t have tutti frutti you can easily use any chopped dry fruits and nuts in this recipe.
Ingredients & Substitutes
For baking this tutti frutti cake we need very less and simple ingredients. Regular pantry staples like flour, oil, sugar and curd are the main ingredients.
The special ingredient needed for making this cake is tutti frutti or candied raw papaya. Colorful bits of candied fruit are known as tutti frutti in India and it is easily available in bakery section. You can easily make tutti frutti at home but it takes lot of time to finely chop the raw papaya.
I have used plain flour here. You can easily use whole wheat flour or a mix of both all purpose flour and wheat flour. You can also add remove 2 tablespoons plain flour and replace it with corn flour for a super light and airy cake.
Any neutral flavored oil or even light olive oil works well. You can use melted butter in place of oil but the cake will be a bit dense. Use salted butter.
Regular sugar, palm sugar, coconut sugar or even powdered jaggery can be used. If your granulated sugar is not very fine, just measure, powder and then add.
Use fresh and well whisked curd or plain yogurt. Do not use sour yogurt. Yogurt along with oil is the liquid base of the this moist tutti frutti cake. Vegans can just use any plant based yogurt.
Baking Powder & baking soda
We are two leavening agents in this cake and do not swap or replace either one. Baking powder is used for structure and baking soda makes the cake spongy cake super soft, light and airy typically bakery style.
You can flavor this cake in multiple ways. Here I have used vanilla but you can also try pineapple essence, orange extract etc.
How To Make Eggless Tutti Frutti Cake
1. Preheat oven at 180C or 350 F. Prepare a loaf pan or 6 inch cake pan by greasing and dusting with flour. You can also line the tin with a parchment paper
2. Take whisked curd, oil, sugar, scarped vanilla pith in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. You can also add 1 teaspoon orange zest or lemon zest or 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice for a fruity tasting lovely cake. You can also use 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or extract.
3. Sift plain flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt twice. Add the tutti frutti and chocolate chips
Now add the dry ingredients in the wet mixture in batches, mixing well. The batter will be thick and dense.
Pour the batter into the tin and tap well.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes. Bake till the top turns golden brown. Bake completely till a tester comes out clean when tested at multiple places.
Allow the cake to cool completely in a wire rack. Slice with a sharp bread knife and serve tutti frutti cake warm as tea time cake.
This simple tutti frutti cake keeps well for 3-4 days in refrigerator. It stays and moist and soft as we have used oil as base. Store the slices in airtight container and refrigerate.
Flours used– You can make this cake with plain flour or whole wheat flour. You can even use cake flour for a more spongy cake.
To make this cake gluten free you can use almond flour any gluten free baking flour.
Make it vegan- Just use any plant based yogurt to make vegan tutti frutti cake.
More Eggless Cake Recipes
Are you making this recipe? I would love to see a snap of your creation too. Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou and please give a star rating ★ in the recipe card above. Follow us on Pinterest , Instagram, Facebook for more recipes and ideas.
tutti frutti cake recipe | eggless vanilla cake recipe with tutti frutti
1 CUP = 250 ml
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup tutti frutti
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Wet ingredients:
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup curd whisked smooth
- 3/4 cup castor or fine sugar
- 1 vanilla bean scrapped or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 180C. Prepare a loaf tin by greasing and dusting with flour.
- Take whisked curd, oil, sugar, scarped vanilla pith in a mixing bowl Mix well.
- Sift flour/maida, baking powder, baking soda and salt twice. Add the tutti frutti and chocolate chips Mix well.
- Now add the dry ingredients in the wet mixture in batches, mixing well. The batter will be thick and dense.
- Pour the batter into the tin and tap well.
- Bake in the preheat oven for 30-40 minutes. The top should turn golden brown and a tester should come out clean when tested at multiple places.
- Allow the cake to cool for 30 minutes. Slice with a sharp bread knife and serve tutti frutti cake warm with coffee
2. make sure the curd is fresh and whisked very well.
3. I mixed the wet ingredients along with scarped vanilla bean for more flavor but removed it later.
4. Make sure you use a correct sized loaf tin. The batter should cover no more than 3/4 of the tin.