Last updated on September 24th, 2019
Tutti frutti cake recipe is a popular variety of cake found in Indian bakeries. This cake is very soft, moist and feather light with colorful tutti frutti studded all over. You can easily make this childhood favorite cake at home with very simple ingredients. Serve warm with a hot cup of chai or coffee for wonderful snack time. Learn to make tutii frutti cake recipe with step wise photos here.
Traditionally tutti frutti cake is made with eggs just like plain cake in Indian bakeries. Here this eggless tutti frutti cake recipe is made with curd and oil as main ingredients.
This cake turns out very soft and moist due to the addition of oil. Adding colorful tutti frutti makes this cake very colorful and attractive for kids.
Making eggless tutti frutti cake is easy and even beginners can try with success. No complex techniques or equipment are needed for this cake.
Serve tutti frutti cake warm with coffee for best taste. You can store the cake in fridge for 2-3 days. Keep it well covered.
Making Tutti Frutti Cake Recipe:
To make tutti frutti cake I have used my basic vanilla cake recipe. This vanilla cake recipe is my keeper recipe that I have been baking for years. It does not much oil or baking soda yet the cake comes out so soft and crumb hold well for clean slices.
I just added a good measure of tutti frutti to the cake batter for making tutti frutti cake. If you don’t have tutti frutti you can easily use any chopped dry fruits and nuts in this recipe.
Some recipes with tutti frutti shared earlier in the blog are
Ingredients For Tutti Frutti Cake
The special ingredient needed for making this cake is tutti frutti or candied raw papaya. Colorful bits of candied raw papaya are known as tutti frutti in India and it is easily available in bakery section.
You can easily make tutti frutti at home but it takes lot of time to finely chop the raw papaya.
For baking this tutti frutti cake we need very less and simple ingredients. Regular pantry staples like flour, oil, sugar and curd are the main ingredients.
- Flour- I have used plain flour here. You can easily use whole wheat flour or a mix of both
- Oil- Any neutral flavored oil or even light olive oil works well. You can use melted butter in place of oil but the cake will be a bit dense
- Sugar- Regular sugar, palm sugar, coconut sugar or even powdered jaggery can be used
- Use fresh and well whisked curd or plain yogurt. Do not use sour yogurt.
Recipe Notes and Tips:
One important tip to remember while making this cake is to coat the tutti frutti with some flour. Do this before adding them to the batter to prevent them from sinking inside.
Always use fresh and well whisked curd. I always use my homemade curd for cake recipes and they turn out pretty good.
Allow the cake to cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing to get clean slices.
More Cake Recipes
- vanilla bean pound cake,
- eggless cherry almond cake,
- Choco vanilla cake,
- eggless banana bread
- dates cake
- mango cake
- coconut cake
- Indian honey cake
How To Make Tutti Frutti Cake Recipe Step by Step
1. Preheat oven at 180C. Prepare a loaf tin by greasing and dusting with flour.
2. Take whisked curd, oil, sugar, scarped vanilla pith in a mixing bowl Mix well.
3. Sift flour/maida, baking powder, baking soda and salt twice. Add the tutti frutti and chocolate chips Mix well.
4. Now add the dry ingredients in the wet mixture in batches, mixing well. The batter will be thick and dense.
5. Pour the batter into the tin and tap well.
6. Bake in the preheat oven for 30-40 minutes. The top should turn golden brown and a tester should come out clean when tested at multiple places.
7. Allow the cake to cool for 30 minutes. Slice with a sharp bread knife and serve tutti frutti cake warm with coffee.
Tutti Frutti Cake Recipe
tutti frutti cake recipe | eggless vanilla cake recipe with tutti frutti
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup tutti frutti
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Wet ingredients:
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup curd whisked smooth
- 3/4 cup castor or fine sugar
- 1 vanilla bean scrapped or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 180C. Prepare a loaf tin by greasing and dusting with flour.
- Take whisked curd, oil, sugar, scarped vanilla pith in a mixing bowl Mix well.
- Sift flour/maida, baking powder, baking soda and salt twice. Add the tutti frutti and chocolate chips Mix well.
- Now add the dry ingredients in the wet mixture in batches, mixing well. The batter will be thick and dense.
- Pour the batter into the tin and tap well.
- Bake in the preheat oven for 30-40 minutes. The top should turn golden brown and a tester should come out clean when tested at multiple places.
- Allow the cake to cool for 30 minutes. Slice with a sharp bread knife and serve tutti frutti cake warm with coffee
2. make sure the curd is fresh and whisked very well.
3. I mixed the wet ingredients along with scarped vanilla bean for more flavor but removed it later.
4. Make sure you use a correct sized loaf tin. The batter should cover no more than 3/4 of the tin.