Last updated on October 8th, 2019
More mumbai street food recipes:
Vada pav recipe card below:
Vada Pav Recipe | Mumbai Wada Pav Recipe
For batata vada stuffing
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 green chilies
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 inch ginger peeled and minced
- 6 curry leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida
For vada batter
- 1/2 cup chick pea flour
- 2 teaspoons rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot oil
For green chutney
- 1 cup cilantro leaves roughly chopped
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For dry garlic chutney
- 3/4 cup dried coconut grated or finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves peeled
- 10 dried chilies
To serve vada pav
- 3 pav buns can also use burger buns
- fried chilies optional
To make green chutney
- Grind all the ingredients to a fine paste
- taste and add more salt or lemon juice as needed.
To make dry garlic chutney
- dry roast the peeled garlic for few seconds.
- to that add dried coconut and dried red chilies and roast for few minutes
- Cool the mixture and grind to a coarse powder
To make vada for vada pav.
- Take chickpea flour and rice flour in a mixing bowl.
- To that add salt, chili powder and hot oil. Mix well
- Add water gradually and make a thick lump free batter.
- Next boil, peel and mash the potatoes well.
- Add salt and turmeric powder to the mashed potatoes.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil and do the tempering,from mustard through asafoetida. Add the tempering to the potatoes along with the oil.Mix well with a spoon ad let it cool for sometime.
- Once they are warm to touch,mix well with your hands and make small balls.You should be able to make 8-10 balls for this quantity.Keep them aside.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Once the oil is hot, flatten the potato balls slightly and dip in the prepared batter and coat evenly.
- Deep fry 2-3 vadas at a time in medium flame,until it is golden from both sides.Serve piping hot with green chutney,sweet chutney or sauce.
To assemble and serve vada pav
- Take a pav bun make a vertical slit.Keep one end intact though.
- Now apply some green chutney inside the bun and stuff one batata vada inside.Press slightly.Sprinkle dry chutney powder on top.
- Serve vada pav hot with sweet chutney,more green chutney and onions.