Vada pav recipe with homemade laadi pav. Vada pav is a popular Indian street food and especially a favorite in Mumbai. It is also known as Bombay burger and famously known as common man’s food as it cheap and affordable.
This recipe of vada pav is to make it at home from scratch just like what you get in streets of Mumbai!
Vada pav is basically a sandwich of spicy batata vada between soft pav with a smear of various chutneys. It is served with a side of fried green chilies. As with any street food recipe there are many variations with wada pav also.
To make vada pav you can easily use store bought pav. Pav means small buns and the famous laadi pav is what preferred for this recipe. You can make pav at home with plain flour or whole wheat flour. Also check out this baked vada pav recipe
The other ingredients we need for making vada pav are batata vada, sweet chutney, green chutney and a spicy dry garlic powder. Furthermore we can serve this snack with a couple of fried chilies for a complete experience.
So it is really easy to make vada pav at home with little bit of planning. You can easily make the chutneys and pav the previous day. Make the batata vada just before serving, assemble and serve vada pav hot. You can use only the chutneys you like in this recipe.
Serve vada pav hot with tea or coffee. It is good for breakfast also!
More mumbai street food recipes:
pav bhaji, tawa pulao, ragda patties, sev puri, pani puri, bhel puri , samosa recipes.
Vada pav recipe card below:
Vada Pav Recipe | Mumbai Wada Pav Recipe
Vada pav recipe is a popular Indian street food especially a favorite in Mumbai. This recipe of vada pav is for making at home from scratch!
1 CUP = 250 ml
For batata vada stuffing
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 green chilies
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 inch ginger peeled and minced
- 6 curry leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida
For vada batter
- 1/2 cup chick pea flour
- 2 teaspoons rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon hot oil
For green chutney
- 1 cup cilantro leaves roughly chopped
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For dry garlic chutney
- 3/4 cup dried coconut grated or finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves peeled
- 10 dried chilies
To serve vada pav
- 3 pav buns can also use burger buns
- fried chilies optional
To make green chutney
- Grind all the ingredients to a fine paste
- taste and add more salt or lemon juice as needed.
To make dry garlic chutney
- dry roast the peeled garlic for few seconds.
- to that add dried coconut and dried red chilies and roast for few minutes
- Cool the mixture and grind to a coarse powder
To make vada for vada pav.
- Take chickpea flour and rice flour in a mixing bowl.
- To that add salt, chili powder and hot oil. Mix well
- Add water gradually and make a thick lump free batter.
- Next boil, peel and mash the potatoes well.
- Add salt and turmeric powder to the mashed potatoes.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil and do the tempering,from mustard through asafoetida. Add the tempering to the potatoes along with the oil.Mix well with a spoon ad let it cool for sometime.
- Once they are warm to touch,mix well with your hands and make small balls.You should be able to make 8-10 balls for this quantity.Keep them aside.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Once the oil is hot, flatten the potato balls slightly and dip in the prepared batter and coat evenly.
- Deep fry 2-3 vadas at a time in medium flame,until it is golden from both sides.Serve piping hot with green chutney,sweet chutney or sauce.
To assemble and serve vada pav
- Take a pav bun make a vertical slit.Keep one end intact though.
- Now apply some green chutney inside the bun and stuff one batata vada inside.Press slightly.Sprinkle dry chutney powder on top.
- Serve vada pav hot with sweet chutney,more green chutney and onions.
Tried this recipe? Snap a pic and share 🙂Mention cookclickndevou or tag cookclickndevour
Manjula Bharath says
omg such an mouthwatering vada pav 🙂 looks tooo yummy , I wud love to have bite now 🙂
Veena Theagarajan says
looks yum! I love it any time…
Priya Ranjit says
wow looks superb and makes my mouth water.
Hamaree Rasoi says
Simply amazing and lovely looking preparation. Vada pav looks simply.
Mayuri Patel says
lovely pictures, I love vada pav and now you have got me drooling and its Ekadashi:(
My most favorite ….making my mouth water…
prethika skm says
munching vada pavs…looks good…
Sowmya Sundararajan says
Well presented Harini. I love Vada Pav
nandoos Kitchen says