Last updated on February 5th, 2019
What Is Batata Vada?
Batata vada is a popular snack recipe from Maharashtra Cuisine. This vada is made by deep frying boiled, spiced and mashed potatoes ball after dipping it in chickpea flour batter.
This batata vada is similar to south Indian aloo bonda while the seasonings mildly differ. Batata means potato in Marathi and vada usually stands for deep fried flattened snack.
This recipe of batata vada I am sharing here is similar to what you get in street shops. Tastes very delicious and addictive when served hot with tea.
How To Make Batata Vada For Snack?
To make batata vada first of all boil, peel and mash the potatoes. Next add salt, turmeric powder and tempered mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida. Mix well and make small balls.
Next make a thick yet flowing lump free batter with chickpea flour, salt, chili powder and asafoetida. Dip the seasoned potato balls in this batter and deep fry in hot oil. You can also slightly flatten the balls to give vada shape.
How To Serve Batata Vada?
You can serve batata vada as snack or use to make vada pav as done in Mumbai. To make vada pav you should sandwich this potato vada between laadi pav and serve with green chilies.
There are many variations with this recipe. I have shared the recipe for Mumbai style batata vada here. Some spices and their proportions vary from place to place while making this vada.
Tips For Making Best Batata Vada
Adding a little bit of rice flour while making chickpea flour batter helps in making crispy vada. You can also add corn flour
To ease digestion you can some carom seeds in the batter. Asafoetida is added for the same reason.
You can vary the quantities of spice powders as per preference.
While making for kids you can serve with sweet chutney or mildly spiced green chutney also.
The recipe can be doubled, tripled and halved.
You might also like
Batata Vada Recipe
Batata Vada Recipe | Mumbai Batata Vada
For vada batter
- 3/4 cup chick pea flour OR gram flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons hot oil
for potato stuffing
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled and minced
- 2 green chilies
- 10 curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- oil for deep frying
To make batter
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Mix all the flours,chilli powder and salt.Take 2 teaspoons oil from the frying pan and add to the flours.Mix with your finger tips.
- .Add around 1/2 cup water to form a thick batter.The batter should be thick enough to coat the potatoes.
To make potato stuffing for batata vada
- Boil and peel the potatoes.Mash them very well so that there are no lumps.
- Add salt and turmeric powder to the mashed potatoes.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil and do the tempering,from mustard through asafoetida. Add the tempering to the potatoes along with the oil.Mix well with a spoon ad let it cool for sometime.
- Once they are warm to touch,mix well with your hands and make small balls.You should be able to make 8-10 balls for this quantity.Keep them aside.
To make batata vada
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Once the oil is hot, flatten the potato balls slightly and dip in the prepared batter and coat evenly.
- Deep fry 2-3 vadas at a time in medium flame,until it is golden from both sides.
- Serve piping hot with green chutney,sweet chutney or sauce.
2.The consistency of batter is crucial.If it is too thin then it will not coat the potatoes,if too thick then the batter will remain uncooked.The consistency should be something like idly batter
3. If you are not going to make vada pav,there is no need to flatten the potato balls,you can just keep them round.
Are you making this recipe? Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou.