Last updated on February 2nd, 2018
pani puri recipe with step by step photos. pani puri or golgappa is a most favorite chaat item. It is the most popular Indian street food. Each state has its own name for this pani puri. These are also known as golgappa, puchka. I am not sure if there are any slight variations among them though. Pani puri is my most favorite chaat. I thoroughly enjoy making pani puri recipe at home.
pani means water and puri is the crispy and puffed flat bread. pani puri is basically the combination of pudinawali pani, masala (the stuffing), crispy puris. Some sev and onions are also added. My friends used to rave about the pani puri from the streets of Mumbai often. That tempted me to try pani puri at home 🙂 We had a blast with homemade pani puri. There was also some discussions on who invented pani puri too :). I even came across this interesting read about pani puri.
now coming to the recipeof pani puri, there cannot one standard pani puri recipe. As I said above it is a very very popular street food across the country. Every famous joint or street vendor has his own secret touch or that variation in recipe. Today I am sharing a pani puri recipe that I make and I got the recipe from a very old cook book stating this as Mumbai style pani puri. The pani has a right blend of sweet and sourness. The taste and flavor is well balanced. The masala for pani puri used here is a mix of boiled potatoes, boiled green gram. the variations in masala can be moong sprouts, ragda etc. You can vary the quantity of ingredients as per your taste.
To make pani puri recipe at home you can use store bought or homemade puris. Next we need to prepare the theeka pani or sour spicy pani. The other ingredients for stuffing the are mashed potatoes, slightly boiled green gram. Sweet chutney (meeta pani) or dates chutney, sev, chopped onions are also added. Chopped onions are optional. Few people prefer it and some may not like it. Here I have used homemade puris for pani puri. As I do not have proper step wise pictures yet I have not shared the puri recipe here. If you do not want to use fried store bought pooris there is another options. Ready to fry pooris are available in shops and you can use them.
if you have all the ingredients handy then making pani puri is easy. If you are planning to make for any occasion you can make the pani well before and keep in fridge. The other ingredients can also be prepared before and stored. Just set everything and let everyone assemble their own pani puri :). If you want to make it extra special you can offer different fillings and make varieties of pani puri.
to make easy pani puri recipe, use store bought puris, use jaljeera mix for teekha pani. This way pani puri can be made very easily 🙂
serve pani puri immediately after assembling.
step by step pani puri recipe with photos.
1. Boil the potatoes and green gram. Peel and mash the potatoes coarsely. Add Salt, chopped cilantro leaves and chili powder to taste. Mix well and set aside.
2. To make pudinawali pani, take green chilies, small piece of jaggery, cumin seeds in a mixer jar.
3. Add washed cilantro leaves and mint leaves to the mixer jar. Grind well to a smooth paste. Add 2 1/2 cups of water and mix well.
4. Add black salt and chaat powder and mi well. Set aside.
5. Keep the other ingredients like sweet chutney, sev, bhoondi and chopped onions ready.
6. To serve pani puri: Take 5-6 puris in a plate. Make a hole on the center with your thumb. Add some mashed potato mixture. Top with sweet chutney, sev and onions.
7. Add some bhoondi to the prepared pani. Add some prepared pani or dip the assembled puri in a small bowl of pani. Eat/serve pani puri immediately.
Pani puri recipe card below:
- 25-30 mini puris
- 2 big potatoes peeled and coarsely mashed
- 1/2 cup green gram boiled and coarsely mashed
- cilantro leaves
- chili powder
- 1/2 cup sweet chutney
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- Sev for topping
- For sweet and sour pani
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- A small piece of ginger peeled
- A small piece of jaggery
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3-4 green chili
- Rock salt/ black salt
- Chat masala powder
- Boondi for topping
- Boil the potatoes and green gram. Peel and mash the potatoes coarsely. Add Salt, chopped cilantro leaves and chili powder to taste. Mix well and set aside.
- To make pani for pani puri, take green chilies, small piece of jaggery, cumin seeds in a mixer jar.
- Add washed cilantro leaves and mint leaves to the mixer jar. Grind well to a smooth paste. Add 2 1/2 cups of water and mix well.
- Add black salt and chaat powder and mi well. Set aside.
- Keep the other ingredients like sweet chutney, sev, bhoondi and chopped onions ready.
- To serve pani puri: Take 5-6 puris in a plate. Make a hole on the center with your thumb. Add some mashed potato mixture. Top with sweet chutney, sev and onions.
- Add some bhoondi to the prepared pani. Add some prepared pani or dip the assembled puri in a small bowl of pani. Eat/serve immediately.
1. You can use white chickpeas instead of green gram.
2. Adjust the quantity of ingredients in pani as per taste.