Last updated on July 13th, 2020
Momos are steamed dumplings with veg or meat filling. This popular Tibetan recipe is a most loved street food in Asian countries.
This recipe I am sharing here is for vegan momos with mixed veg filling, made from scratch and includes the recipe for wrapper.
I am sure I have stated this many times and here I go saying it again, I love Asian food, especially the street food kinds 🙂 Pot stickers, gobi manchurian, fried rice, noodles are some of my favorites and this momos too are.
I tasted veg momos first in Bangalore with my friend in a small makeshift shop and loved every bite of it. Fiery hot veg filling inside stuffed inside a soft wrapper and steamed to perfection, yum! The dipping sauce served with it was also top notch!
Making good veg momos at home is really easy but take some time and effort. Pleating the momos can be tricky especially if you are a beginner but it comes easily with practice.
These bite size dumplings are truly worth their time. Pot stickers, dim sum also steamed dumplings similar to momos with slight differences.
What Are Momos?
The term momo itself means meat stuffed steamed bun. Traditionally momos were prepared only with meat. But as with any vegetarian variation we make veg momos with vegetable stuffing.
These are also known as dim sum was first introduced to me a by a North Eastern colleague who is also my friend. She always said veg momos with spicy momos chutney is the best combination.
So veg momos are basically steamed flour buns wit spicy veg filling. Predominantly cabbage is used as stuffing. Here I have used a mix of cabbage, capsicum and carrots.
There are many types of momos like fried ones, with paneer filling. I also make momos with whole wheat flour most of the time.
According to me the best momos are the steamed ones though 🙂 The crispiness of fresh veggies and soft steamed outer cover is a wonderful combination.
This popular street food of India is literally found in corner of every busy street these days. Do try out this easy veg momos recipe and enjoy!
This Momos Recipe Is
tasty & flavorful
Street style bite sized dumplings
Vegan & can be made gluten free
Easy recipe with simple ingredients
How To Make Momos At Home?
Making momos at home is easy though a bit time consuming. The stuffing is a simple vegetable mixture. Only the pleating part takes some time here. Again steaming is just for 10 minutes.
For making these dim sum let us first make the dough for outer covering. It is a simple dough with plain flour, salt, water and few drops of oil. Combine everything and knead to a bit firm dough and set aside.
Next for making the filling heat oil in a pan. Saute the chili flakes, ginger garlic and onions. Add the finely chopped veggies, salt, soy sauce, sugar and vinegar.
Saute in high flame for 8-10 minutes. The veggies should get cooked yet retain their crunch. Let cool.
To pleat and steam the dumplings pinch small balls from the dough and roll into a thin small circle. Place the filling and pleat the edges. There are so many shapes you can make here and it comes with practice.
Finally steam the pleated momos for 6-8 minutes in a steamer. I use idli vessel and plates for steaming. You can also use bamboo steamer for more flavor.
How To Make Momos With Rice Flour?
To make gluten free momos you can use rice flour instead of plain flour. The preparation of rice flour dough is similar to how we make dough for modhakam.
Bring 1/4 cup water to rolling boil. To this add 1/2 cup rice flour, salt and few drops of oil.
Add more flour or hot water as needed and knead into a smooth firm dough. Use this dough as outer covering and proceed with the recipe.
Step By Step Method
For the dough:
Combine flour, salt and oil in a bowl.
Add water to make a soft pliable dough. Let the dough sit for 20 minutes.
Heat oil in a pan. Saute chilli flakes. Next add the crushed garlic and ginger till the raw smell goes off.
Then add the spring onion bulbs and saute till translucent. Once done add the sliced onions and saute for few minutes.
Take the prepared dough and divide into four equal portions.
Working with one portion at a time,roll in into a thin big circle.
Using a cutter or lid of round box cut into circles. Again knead the remaining dough and make as many circles as possible.
place 1 1/2 teaspoons of prepared filling in the center.
Once done the dumplings will be glossy little bigger than we shaped.
Serve veg momos piping hot with dipping sauce or schezwan sauce.
More Street Food Recipes
Are you making this recipe? Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou. Do leave a ⋆ rating along with your feedback! Let us connect on Instagram, Facebook, pinterest & Twitter for more fun recipes and stories!
Veg momos recipe | How to make veg momos | How to make steamed veg momos recipe
For outer covering
- 1 cup all purpose flour/maida
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup finely chopped veggies carrot,green bell pepper,cabbage,baby corn
- 6-7 spring onion bulbs save greens for garnishing
- 1 small onion sliced thin
- 1 small tomato pureed
- 2-3 garlic pod crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt pepper
Making Outer Cover
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned and form a soft pliable dough and rest for an hour.In the mean time we will prepare filling and cool it.
- Heat a kadai and add oil to it. Saute chilli flakes and sugar. Next add the crushed garlic and ginger. Saute till raw smell goes off.
- Add the spring onion bulbs and saute till translucent. Next add the sliced onions and saute for few minutes.
- Now add the chopped veggies, soy sauce, tomato sauce,salt and pepper.Saute in high flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Finally add spring onion greens and remove from flame. Cool the stuffing.
Pleating and steaming the momos
- Take the prepared dough and divide into four equal portions.Working with one portion at a time,roll in into a thin big circle.Using a cutter or lid of round box cut into circles.Again knead the remaining dough and make as many circles as possible.
- Take one small cut circle and place 1 1/2 teaspoons of prepared filling in the center.
- Now start pleating from one side and pleat in the same direction.Once done,sale the top and press slightly.
- Boil some water in a steamer or idly cooker and arrange the shaped momos in the plate.Steam for 6-7 minutes.
- Once done the momos will be glossy little bigger than we shaped.
- Serve veg momos piping hot with momos chutney or schezwan sauce.
2.If you don't have spring onion greens you can use thick stems of cilantro for garnishing.