Last updated on June 24th, 2020
Baby corn manchurian is a delicious, flavorful and spicy snack with baby corns. This popular street food is a fusion recipe from Indo chinese cuisine. You can make this snack very easily at home with few ingredients. Here is how to make best baby corn manchurian recipe at home!
We all love Chinese takeout and street food, don’t we? But how about we give the msg loaded, colorant heavy takeouts a miss and try them at home?
Indo chinese is a fusion cuisine where the Chinese cooking techniques are adapted to suit Indian palate. You will find these dishes to be spicy. You can easily make this cuisine at home. Some popular dishes are schezwan noodles fried rice, noodles, Manchurians.
Manchurian recipes are a delicious fusion snack from Indo Chinese cuisine. The most popular one in the indo Chinese restaurants is chicken manchurian. For vegetarians there are paneer, gobi, veg, baby corn manchurians.
This baby corn manchurian is my top favorite. I like it more than gobi or paneer because baby corn is my favorite vegetable 🙂 I feel its natural crunchy texture makes it more appealing in this recipe.
You can make this recipe at home very easily. You will need few ingredients and 30 minutes for this. Usually these recipes are just loaded with sauces and colorants. Here I have just used very little soy sauce. Look for naturally brewed soy sauce if possible.
There are two variations with this recipe. I have included brief instructions for gravy variation and detail recipe for dry version.
Serve baby corn manchurian as starter or side dish.
This Baby Corn Manchurian Recipe
Crispy & tasty restaurant style
Vegan & gluten free
Free of colorants & MSG
Not deep fried
Delicious & flavorful.
Manchurian recipes are always a hit at home and I they are very easy to prepare too. The manchurian sauce remains common and you can be creative and add any vegetable or even leftover idli, soya chunks too make dry manchurian.
Baby corn manchurian tastes excellent. baby corn is already crispy and when shallow fried it turns even more crispy and delicious.
If your baby corns are very tender and short you can keep them as such and shallow fry, if they are some what big you can cut each baby corn into 2 and make baby corn manchurian recipe.
For all indo chinese recipes I prefer sesame oil, they impart a nice flavor to the dish. If you do not have sesame oil handy you can use Indian gingely oil or olive oil.
If you do not want to use bottled soy sauce in baby corn manchurian recipe, you can leave it out, the manchurian will be still tasty and flavorful. Make sure you add loads of spring onions, ginger etc.
How To Make Baby Corn Manchurian
1. Peel and chop the baby corn into 1 inch pieces.
2. Bring plenty of water in a vessel and par boil the cut baby corns for 3-4 minutes. Drain and wipe gently with a kitchen towel.
3. Take maida,corn flour,pepper powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Add baby corn pieces and mi well. Add just 1-2 tablespoons water for binding.
4. Heat oil in a shallow frying pan and shallow fry the batter coated baby corns till golden brown.
5. Drain and set aside.
6. In the same kadai remove excess oil retaining about 2 tablespoons of oil. Add chopped ginger garlic, spring onion whites. Fry for 2-3 minutes. Add chopped onions and saute for few minutes.
7. Add chopped bell peppers and saute in high flame for 3-4 minutes. Let the veggies be crunchy.
8. Add soy sauce, ketchup,pepper powder, salt, sugar and mix well. Let the consistency thicken a bit.
9. Add the fried baby corns, toss quickly.
10. remove from flame.
11. Add spring onion greens and serve baby corn manchurian hot.
How To Make Gravy Baby Corn Manchurian
To make a gravy version you just need to increase amount of gravy. Prepare the fried baby corn as mentioned in the recipe. While making the sauce after sauteing the peppers, sauces and seasonings add 1.5 cups water. Bring it to a boil.
In the meanwhile ix 3 tablespoons corn flour in 1 cup water. Add this slurry to the boiling sauce and simmer. Let the sauce simmer till thickness and reach the desired consistency. Finally add the fried baby corns and toss quickly. Serve warm with spring onion garnish.
Tips For Making Baby Corn Manchurian
I have used colored bell peppers in manchurian sauce. Bell peppers are optional in manchurian sauce but they add to the taste and flavor of the dish.
The thickness of sauce is an individual preference. If you want to make very dry baby corn manchurian, you can make the sauce more thick and just coat the fried baby corn else you can make it a bit thin too.
Just increase/ decrease the amount of corn flour in the sauce.
Instead of shallow frying you can also deep fry the flour coated baby corns.
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this baby corn manchurian recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Baby Corn Manchurian Recipe
Baby Corn Manchurian Dry
- 10 fresh tender baby corns
- 1/2 green bell pepper cubed
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper cubed
- 3 tablespoons corn flour
- 4 tablespoons maida/all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper powder
- Oil for shallow frying
For Manchurian Sauce
- 2 large ripe tomatoes pureed OR 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 small onions sliced thin
- 1/2 cup spring onion whites chopped fine
- 1/4 cup spring onion greens for garnish
- 1/4 cup thick cilantro stem chopped fine/celery
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoons corn flour mixed with 1/4 cup water
- Sesame oil
- Peel and chop the baby corn into 1 inch pieces.
- Bring plenty of water in a vessel and par boil the cut baby corns for 3-4 minutes. Drain and wipe gently with a kitchen towel.
- Take maida,corn flour,pepper powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Add baby corn pieces and mi well. Add just 1-2 tablespoons water for binding.
- Heat oil in a shallow frying pan and shallow fry the batter coated baby corns till golden brown. Drain and set aside.
- In the same kadai remove excess oil retaining about 2 tablespoons of oil. Add chopped ginger garlic, spring onion whites. Fry for 2-3 minutes. Add chopped onions and saute for few minutes.
- Add chopped baby corns (if using), chopped bell peppers and saute in high flame for 3-4 minutes. Let the veggie be crunchy.
- Add soy sauce, ketchup,pepper powder, salt, sugar and mix well. Let the consistency thicken a bit.
- Add the fried baby corns, toss quickly and remove from flame. Add spring onion greens and serve baby corn manchurian hot.
2.You can deep fry the baby corns if needed,but the dish will be as light as this.