Schezwan noodles is a delicious, flavorful and vibrant noodles that you will love for a weeknight comfort dinner. This noodles comes together in 20 minutes flat and tastes incredible. You just need handful of simple ingredients and some veggies to make this. Here s how you can make this yummy noodles easily, you are gonna love this 🙂
The other day when I shared schezwan sauce recipe, many of you asked me for schezwan noodles and fried rice. Well these too are my favorite too and it just occurred to me that I don’t have those recipe here.
So I made these noodles today, just to click picture for you guys 🙂 and as a bonus we enjoyed one of our fav dish among Indo chinese cuisine. I love noodles loaded with veggies like this one, veg chowmien, easy veg noodles, chili garlic nooldes, hakka noddles.
On days when I make tofu stir fry, gobi manchurian or baby corn manchurian, I make some simple fried rice or this schezwan noodles to go with it. These dishes may be intimidating for beginners, but these are so easy to make and so much better in quality than restaurants.
Coming to talk of restaurant foods, the indo chinese dishes from takeaways and restaurants are mostly loaded with msg, colorants with little or no real ingredients.
On the other hand by sparing some time to make condiments like schezwan sauce, chili garlic sauce or mango chili sauce, we can recreate noodles, manchurian or fried rice or momos at home with so much ease,real ingredients and more flavor!
Now coming to these schezwan noodles if you are still with me, the recipe cannot get any simpler. Veggies sliced thin, al dente noodles, good dose of homemade sauce and some regular players like soy sauce and vinegar are all you need.
This is such delicious bowl of noodles with absolute flavor blast for such a simple recipe. Looks so gourmet and fancy and all within 20 minutes!
If you have never tried making schezwan noodles at home, you should really make some. Here is the easiest and best ever recipe for you.
This Schezwan Noodles Recipe Is
Easy, quick and simple
Ready in 20 minutes
Simply the best in taste and flavor
Real ingredients,better than takeaways
loaded with veggies
Ingredients You Will Need
Schezwan Sauce: To begin with this recipe you will need shezwan sauce. You can make your own schezwan sauce or use bottled ones. if you are trying to avoid store bought sauce and no time to make elaborate sauce, try this method.
I make this when I make schezwan noodles in a whim and no sauce handy.
Grind 4-5 red chilies with 1/4 cup tomato sauce, 3 garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons soy sauce and 1 tablespoon vinegar. Use this in plae of schezwan sauce.
Noodles– You can use any type noodles except ramen in this recipe. I have tried this with ramen once and it was a total flop. Here I have use millet noodles. This is a vegan schezwan noodles recipe, but you can easily use egg noodles if you want.
To make this recipe gluten free, just use gluten free noodles like rice noodles.
Veggies– your typical set of veggies used for fried rice like carrots, beans, cabbage, bell pepper and scallions. You can add bokchoy, brussel sprouts, chinese cabbage, mushrooms, baby corns in this recipe.
For some protein you can add cubed tofu.
other ingredients you will need are ginger, garlic, freshly pound pepper, a splash of soy sauce and vinegar. Here I have added loads of toasted sesame seeds for lovely crunch. You can also used crushed peanuts or both.
Schezwan Noodles FAQs
How to cook veggies perfectly? For indo chinese recipes like noodles or fried rice, we need to cook veggies in such way they are cooked yet crunchy. This can be achieved by cooking the veggies briefly in high flame.
Keep the chopped veggies ready and add swiftly one after the other while cooking. Adding a pinch of sugar wil hep you to retain the color of the veggies.
How to avoid noodles turning pasty or sticky? For any noodles recipe, the noodles has to be cooked perfectly to get the best taste. To cook noodles for any recipe always add noodles only after the water comes to a good rolling boil.
Next add 1 teaspoon oil to the boiling water along with a pinch of salt and mix well. Add noodles and cook a minute less than as instructed in the packet.
Once done, drain and rinse the noodles in cold water immedietly and very well. These steps will prevent noodles from turning sticky.
which oil is best for this recipe? I prefer to use sesame oil for indo chinese recipes. To make schezwan noodles as well I have used the same. You can also use toasted sesame for more flavor.
How to get that smoky flavor typical in Indo chinese recipes? The deep smoky flavor is signature to indo chinese recipes. To get that flavor you will have to first
- cook these recipes in real high flame
- sturdy wok or cast iron pan is highly recommended,
- Once you have sauteed the veggies well in really high flame, splash around 3 tablespoons water in the pan and immedietly close the lid for a minute or two, the steam created will impart a very smoky flavor to the veggies. Now add the cooked noodles and toss. This method will surely give a nice smoky favor to noodles, fried rice etc. This is what i do while making postickers.
How to make this noodles extra spicy? The recipe I have shared here makes a moderately spicy schezwan noodles. Some of us like it extra spicy though. I prefer super spicy noodles, so sometimes I add some chili oil while cooking the noodles along with sesame oil. You can also add some red chili paste or chili sauce.
Step By Step Method.
Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add 1 teaspoon oil and pinch of salt.
Add noodles and mix well.
Cook in medium flame for the time mentioned in the package. It is usually 8-12 minutes. Millet noodles usually take more time to cook.
While cooking, gently stir the noodles to avoid sticking.
Tip * Always cook noodles a minute less than instructed in package as we are again going to saute the noodles with veggies.
Once done, drain thoroughly and rinse very well in cold water. Set aside.
Tip * Try to cook the noodles sometime may be 30 minutes before making schezwan noodles recipe and cool it before adding to the veggies.
Making Schezwan Noodles
Heat 3 tablespoons sesame oil in a wok or heavy pan. Add minced garlic coves and chili flakes. Saute for few seconds.
Add chopped onions and saute for half a minute.
Add thinly sliced minced veggies and saute in high flame for 3-4 minutes.
Next add your schezwan sauce and mix. Saute for another 2 minutes in high flame.
Add soy sauce, vinegar, salt and freshly pounded black pepper.
Mix well and saute for a minute to incorporate all flavors well to the veggies.
Add cooked noodles and mix well.
Finally add chopped scallions and toasted sesame seeds.
Mix well and serve schezwan noodles immedietly with any manchurian, chili vinegar or sauteed veggies.
I hope you will try this schezwan noodles or spinach chickpea curry recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Schezwan Noodles (Vegan)
For cooking noodes
- 250 grams noodles use any variety
- 1 teaspoon oil
- salt a pinch
- water as needed
For making schezwan noodles
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced mixed veggies carrot, cabbage, beans, pepper
- 1/4 cup schezwan sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly pounded black pepper
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup scallion greens, thinly sliced.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add 1 teaspoon oil and pinch of salt. Add noodles and mix well.
- Cook in medium flame for the time mentioned in the package. It is usually 8-12 minutes. Millet noodles usually take more time to cook.
- Once done, drain thoroughly and rinse very well in cold water. Set aside.
Making Schezwan Noodles
- Heat 3 tablespoons sesame oil in a wok or heavy pan. Add minced garlic coves and chili flakes. Saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and saute for half a minute.
- Add thinly sliced minced veggies and saute in high flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Next add your schezwan sauce and mix. Saute for another 2 minutes in high flame.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, salt and freshly pounded black pepper.
- Mix well and saute for a minute to incorporate all flavors well to the veggies.
- Add cooked noodles and mix well. Finally add chopped scallions and toasted sesame seeds.
- Mix well and serve schezwan noodles immedietly with any manchurian, chili vinegar or sauteed veggies.
- Always cook noodles a minute less than instructed in package as we are again going to saute the noodles with veggies.
- Try to cook the noodles sometime may be 30 minutes before making schezwan noodles recipe and cool it before adding to the veggies.
- The recipe can be doubled or halved.