Last updated on May 5th, 2019
Veg fried rice recipe with video. Flavorful and delicious vegetable fried rice made easily in Indian style. Veg fried rice is the most popular vegetarian variant of indo chinese chicken fried rice. With this easy video recipe you can make top notch veg fried rice just like restaurant ones at home 🙂
Fried rice can be made in so many ways in both vegetarian and non vegetarian cuisine. Chicken fried rice, egg fried rice are popular non vegetarian ones.
This easy veg fried recipe is our favorite go to recipe in indo chinese cuisine. Whenever we order indo chinese in Indo chinese in restaurants we have this fried rice.
This vegetable fried rice recipe is easy one with basic ingredients from the pantry. I have not used any sauces in this recipe.
I usually make this fried rice with left over rice that is cold and grains separate. In fact one of the best ways to use up left over rice is to make vegetable fried rice.
One common ingredient that you will find in most indo chinese recipes is monosodium glutamate commercially known as ajinomoto. Restaurant veg fried rice tastes different compared to homemade veg fried rice due to this ajinomoto.
There is a long debate about the safety of this ingredient and I prefer not to use it in my indo chinese recipes. We can make perfect veg fried rice at home leaving ajinomoto behind. This is a good fried rice recipe where the taste and flavor of fresh vegetables compliments the rice well.
Vegetables that go in the making of fried rice are carrots, cabbages, beans and bell peppers. Apart from these you can also use baby corn, sweet corn kernels. Furthermore you can also use mushrooms in this recipe. I also sometimes add paneer in this recipe.
To make veg fried rice perfectly at home especially without sauces and taste maker you can follow the below tips. This is a easy and simple recipe that demands best of the ingredients.
What Veggies Go Well In Veg Fried Rice?
To make veg fried rice Usually you can add cabbage, beans, carrot, broccoli, baby corn and capsicum. always add carrot and beans along with other available veggies. Add three or more veggies that you have handy,
Vegetable like eggplant, okra do not cut well with this vegetable fried rice though.
Some Protein that you can add in this fried rice are
- If you eat egg you can boiled egg, chopped
- cubed paneer
- cubed tofu
Tips And Suggestions For Making Best Veg Fried Rice At Home:
- First of all make sure the rice is cooked yet not mushy. The rice should be cooked al dente for vegetable fried rice. If long grained rice is not available you can use any aged rice.
- Next we have to chop all the veggies in same size. This is very important as we are cooking the veggies in high heat for short time.
- Use good quality sesame oil for authentic taste. In the absence of sesame oil you can use light olive oil also.
- Celery adds taste and flavor to any veg fried rice recipe. I always use it if it is freshly available in market.However if you do not get celery you can use cleaned thick stalk of cilantro.
The recipe shared here is for Indian style veg fried rice without any sauces. However you can easily alter this recipe to suit your preference. Below I have listed some variations.
Variations With Veg Fried Rice Recipe.
- You can add soy sauce and chili sauce in this recipe to make Chinese style fried rice. However use very good quality naturally brewed soy sauce and that too in moderation.
- High amounts of sodium leads to hormone imbalance. I have used soy sauce in my recipes earlier but these days I am cautiously avoiding it.
- To make typical chinese style fried rice use a small star anise and a strand of mace in this recipe. Saute the whole spices along with grated ginger.
- Also you can use schezwan sauce in this recipe to make schezwan fried rice.
- Finally you can add any of your favorite sauce for a different flavor.
More Indo Chinese Recipes:
Veg Fried Rice Recipe Video:
How To Make Veg Fried Rice Step By Step
1. Wash and soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes. Drain and cook with enough water and a drop of oil. Fluff and cool the rice thoroughly. (Cook at least before 2 hours). To make good fried veg fried rice recipe, this is the most important step. The rice should be al dente
2. Chop the spring onion whites and greens separately. Wash and chop the veggies very finely.
3. Heat sesame oil in a broad wok. Add the grated ginger and saute for 2 minutes. You can also add the star anise and mace at this stage for authentic Chinese flavor in fried rice. Once the ginger is sauteed well add the spring onion whites and saute quickly for 1-2 minutes.
4. Now add all the veggies and sugar. Mix well and saute in high flame for 3 minutes. The veggies should get cooked yet remain crunchy. To make perfect veg fried rice,the veggies should be cooked perfectly. They should be crunchy and retain shape.
5. Now season with salt and pepper and mix well. Saute for 1-2 minutes. At this stage you can add preferred sauce like soy sauce or schezwan sauce. You can also add vinegar.
6. Add the cooked rice and toss gently. Adjust salt and pepper, add 1 teaspoon sesame oil and mix gently.Garnish with spring onions greens.
7. Serve quick veg fried rice hot with any suitable gravy.
Veg Fried Rice Recipe Card
- 1 1/4 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup mixed vegetables carrot,cabbage,bell pepper,beans,very finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons spring onion whites finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons spring onion greens
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes. Drain and cook with enough water and a drop of oil. Fluff and cool the rice thoroughly. (Cook at least before 2 hours).
Chop the spring onion whites and greens separately. Wash and chop the veggies very finely. Heat sesame oil in a broad wok. Add the grated ginger and saute for 2 minutes. Next add the spring onion whites and saute quickly for 1-2 minutes.
Now add all the veggies and sugar Mix well and saute in high flame for 3 minutes,the veggies should get cooked yet remain crunchy.
Season with salt and pepper and mix well.Saute for 1-2 minutes.
Then add the cooked rice and mix gently. Adjust salt and pepper,add 1 teaspoon sesame oil and mix gently.
- Serve quick veg fried rice hot with any suitable gravy.
1. Use sesame oil for best results.
2. Chop the veggies very fine so that they get cooked in short time
3.You can roast some chilli flakes in oil along with ginger.
4. The rice has to be really cool and fluffy before mixing.
Are you making this recipe? Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou. Do leave a ⋆ rating along with your feedback!