Last updated on October 16th, 2020
Veg fried rice is a delicious and flavorful Chinese rice recipe with mixed vegetables. This recipe is easy and quick to make, mildly seasoned vegan vegetable fried rice better than takeaways.
Fried rice can be made in so many ways in both vegetarian and non vegetarian cuisine. Chicken fried rice, egg fried rice are popular non vegetarian ones.
Here in this vegan recipe we are using a truckload of vegetables, few simple sauces and mild seasoning. This is a flavor packed delicious one pot meal that tastes best with Asian sides like chilli potato, basil tofu, braised tofu, stir fry vegetables.
Indo chinese recipes are my go to when I want some really flavorful food with umami. Sauteing veggies with super flavorful seasoning in high flame for short time is the essence of this cuisine.
Here in this indo Chinese veggie fried rice recipe also, we are following the same method.
Whenever I have some leftover rice or we need a quick and satiating meal, this is my goto choice. I can sneak as much veggies I like, gets done in less than 30 minutes and tastes delicious on its own.
Yes with a good fried rice, side dish is only optional for us. I many restaurants it is served just with a side of ketchup and at our home I like to serve it with some chili vinegar.
This is the recipe of fried rice that I have been making for a decade 🙂 It all started with a small recipe clipping from a dated magazine which has evolved so much in my kitchen.
I have tried various combination of sauces, veggies and arrived at this recipe. It is truly delicious, fuss free and so much better than takeouts.
The Best Veg Fried Rice
Here I am sharing with you a really easy fried rice recipe that tastes best.
Basically in this restaurant style fried rice, mixed veggies are sauteed in high flame with some very basic seasoning. To that we add cooked and cooled rice, toss quickly and serve 🙂
This is just one way of making restaurant style Chinese fried rice. There are many variations to the recipe though.
This vegetable fried rice recipe is easy one with basic ingredients from the pantry. I usually make this with leftover rice that is cold and grains separate.
In fact one of the best ways to use up leftover rice is to make this recipe. Use whatever veggies you have in hand for this recipe.
While there is a set of veggies usually used in Chinese recipes you can just build this recipe with what you have in hand.
The veg fried rice from Chinese restaurants often have ajinomoto (monosodium glutamate) in them. I don’t use it in my cooking due to the long debate about its safety.
Ajinomoto typically enhances the spicy, umami flavor of the food it is used in and masks all the other flavor. It is kind of addictive that you want to have more and more.
We can make perfect veggie fried rice at home leaving ajinomoto behind. This is a good recipe where the taste and flavor of fresh vegetables compliments the rice well.
Vegetables that go in the making of fried rice are carrots, cabbages, beans and bell peppers. Apart from these you can also use baby corn, sweet corn kernels, sprouts, mushrooms or even greens.
I also sometimes add paneer or tofu in this recipe.
This Veg Fried Rice Is
Super simple to make with pantry staples
Quick recipe, only 15 minutes with cooked and cooled rice
Vegan & gluten free (use gluten free soy sauce)
Umami, delicious & has the signature flavor of Chinese Fried Rice
Easy way to sneak n veggies in kids diet
Better than takeaways.
What Veggies Go Well In Here?
To make Chinese style veg fried rice usually we use cabbage, beans, carrot, broccoli, baby corn and capsicum.
Other vegetables that taste great in this recipe are pok choy stem and greens, bamboo shoots, lotus stem etc.
You can throw in greens towards the end. Seriously nothing in
Add three or more veggies that you have handy,
Some Protein that you can add in this fried rice are
- If you eat egg you can boiled egg, chopped
- cubed paneer
- cubed tofu
How To Cook Rice
The rice you use can make or break the fried rice. The cooked rice you use should be absolutely non sticky. For this reason, cooked and thoroughly cold rice works best in this recipe.
The rice should be cooked al dente for vegetable fried rice. If long grained rice is not available you can use any aged rice, short grain, thai jasmine everything works well.
If you do not have leftover rice, just cook the rice as mentioned in the recipe and let cool before using. You can add few drops of oil to the rice that has been cooked, spread it on a plate and let it cool.
Tips To Make Best Veg Fried Rice
Have all the ingredients handy- Chinese fried rice recipe is all about fast cooking. You would want to prep all the veggies, keep the sauces and seasoning ready so that you can act fast and cook quickly using high flame.
When you are cooking in super high flame there is really no time for mincing that ginger, chopping an onion or quickly measuring that sauce. So mice en place really helps here.
Chopping vegetables- Next we have to chop all the veggies in same size. This is very important as we are cooking the veggies in high heat for short time. Thinly slice or shred the vegetables for easy cooking.
Quality Ingredients– This recipe uses very few ingredients and does not rely much on sauces. So we need best quality ingredients here. Use good quality sesame oil for authentic taste. In the absence of sesame oil you can use light olive oil also.
Next use naturally brewed soy sauce or soya sauce, it is more flavorful. Instead you can also use bragg liquid aminos or tamari if you want to make this recipe gluten free
Celery- Celery adds taste and flavor to any Chinese rice recipe. I always use it if it is freshly available in market.However if you do not get celery you can use cleaned thick stalk of cilantro.
Use good Chinese wok if possible for best finish. In the absence of wok, use good quality cast iron pan to retain heat.
The recipe shared here is for Indian style veg fried rice that you find in most of the Indo Chinese Restaurants. However you can easily alter this recipe to suit your preference. Below I have listed some variations.
Variations With Veg Fried Rice Recipe.
To make typical Chinese style fried rice use a small star anise and a strand of mace in this recipe. Saute the whole spices along with grated ginger.
Also you can use schezwan sauce in this recipe to make schezwan fried rice.
Finally you can add any of your favorite sauce for a different flavor. You can try adding hot sauce, green chili sauce, mushroom sauce, vegetarian oyster sauce for a varied flavor.
Are Sauces Necessary For Fried Rice?
Typically sauces like soy sauce, hot sauce, chili sauce are used in Chinese fried rice and other Chinese recipes.
Adding a small amount of sauce does increase the flavor of the dosh however we need to be very cautious of the quality of sauces used.
The generic soy sauce sold in stores are loaded with chemicals and hardly contains any real ingredients. Look for organic naturally brewed soy sauce.
Here I have used naturally brewed organic soy sauce in veg fried rice recipe.
You can also use tamari, chili garlic sauce, schezwan sauce to up the flavor.
Fried rice actually tastes good with just garlic, ginger, vinegar, salt and pepper. If you are not using sauces, be generous with ginger garlic and seasoning, it tastes very good, When making for small kids, I would avoid sauces.
Cooking Rice For Fried Rice
For this recipe we need cooked and cooled basmati rice, grains full and separate for this recipe. A day old rice or at least rice that has been cooked few hours before works for this veggies fried rice.
Pick and rinse raw basmati rice gently once or twice.
Soak the rice in plenty of water for 30 minutes.
Drain the rice and spread it on a plate for few minutes.
Next bring two cups of water to a rolling boil in a heavy pan. Add few drops of oil to the water.
Next add the rice and mix gently once.
Cook until all the water is absorbed, it takes around 8-12 minutes.
Cool the rice completely before using in vegetable fried rice recipe.
How To Make Veg Fried Rice
As first step let’s prepare the veggies. Rinse, peel if necessary and chop the veggies very finely. Keep the veggies ready.
Peel and slice the carrots into thin sticks. Shred or very finely chop the cabbage. Thinly slice the bell peppers and beans.
Heat the sesame oil in a broad wok. Add the grated ginger garlic and saute for 2 minutes. You can add the star anise and mace at this stage for authentic Chinese flavor in fried rice.
Once the ginger is sauteed well add the spring onion whites and saute quickly for 1-2 minutes in high heat.
Next add all the veggies and sugar. Mix well and saute in high flame for 3 or 4 minutes. You have to cook the veggies in a such a way that they are cooked yet they retain their crunch.
Next season with salt and pepper and mix well. Saute for 2 minutes. Now you can add preferred sauce like soy sauce or schezwan sauce. Also add the vinegar. I have used dark soy sauce, rice vinegar.
Now add the cooked and cooled rice and toss gently. Adjust the salt and pepper, also add 1 teaspoon sesame oil and mix gently.Garnish with chopped spring onions greens.
Serve quick veg fried rice hot immedietly.
More Indo Chinese Recipes:
Are you making this recipe? Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou. Do leave a ⋆ rating along with your feedback! Let us connect on Instagram, Facebook, pinterest & Twitter for more fun recipes and stories!
Veg Fried Rice
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1/2 cup carrot Finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cabbage Finely chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper Finely chopped
- 1/2 cup beans Finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons spring onion whites finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons spring onion greens
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black or white peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce preferably organic
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
Cooking Rice For Chinese Fried Rice
- We need cooked and cooled basmati rice, grains full and separate for this recipe. A day old or at least rice that has been cooked few hours before works for this veggies fried rice.
- Pick and rinse raw basmati rice gently.
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain and spread on a plate for few minutes.
- Bring two cups of water to a rolling boil in a heavy pan. Add few drops of oil. Add the rice and mix gently once.
- Cook until all the water is absorbed, takes around 8-12 minutes. Cool the rice thoroughly before using in vegetable fried rice recipe.
How To Make Veg Fried Rice
- As first step prepare the veggies. Rinse, peel and chop the veggies very finely. Keep the veggies ready.
- Heat sesame oil in a broad wok. Add the grated ginger and saute for 2 minutes. You can also add the star anise and mace at this stage for authentic Chinese flavor in fried rice.
- Now add all the veggies and sugar Mix well and saute in high flame for 3 minutes,the veggies should get cooked yet remain crunchy.
- Once the ginger is sauteed well add the spring onion whites and saute quickly for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add all the veggies and sugar. Mix well and saute in high flame for 3 minutes. The veggies should get cooked yet remain crunchy.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Now season with salt and pepper and mix well. Saute for 1-2 minutes. At this stage you can add preferred sauce like soy sauce or tamari. Also add vinegar.
- Then add the cooked rice and mix gently. Adjust salt and pepper,add 1 teaspoon sesame oil and mix gently.
- Serve quick veg fried rice hot with any suitable gravy.
- Chop all the veggies and keep them ready before you start making this recipe.
- After adding rice, saute in highest flame for smoky effect.
- Use gluten free soy sauce or tamari to make this veg fried rice gluten free.
- use a Chinese wok if possible for this recipe for best results. If that is not available use a heavy pan or a dutch oven or a cast iron skillet
- You can vary the quantity of sauces as per taste.
- The recipe can be doubled or halved